Guitars And Styles Of Play
black and white
Jul 7 2008, 09:11 PM
GMC:er
I have heard a lot of things on this site that say......I want to play blues, which guitar should I buy, or I want to be a shredder, what guitar is best.......so my question is, what styles go with what type of guitar....

For what style is a strat great, what about a les paul, or an ibanez.............open topics, just trying to learn what guitars are best for what styles.....etc, etc, etc

Thoughts...................

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by black and white: Jul 7 2008, 09:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jul 7 2008, 09:23 PM
well technically you could play every style on every guitar that is good fully functioning but i wouldnt try to shred on a vintage jazz guitar it might fall apart tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 7 2008, 09:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I am a beginner and so is my knowledge, but from what I have read and experienced a strat is a truely versatile guitar that can be used for many different music styles. But, it truely shines on cleaner tones and bluesy tones. I was lucky enough to get ahold of a strat that I use for blues lessons (Ivan's lessons!) and an Ibanez for metal lessons (Trond and Lian's lessons!). Both guitars can play the other styles as well...but they definitely shine in their respective categories. That being said...there are many exceptions to the rule. I have heard Highway One strats that have a humbucker used to play metal and they sounded killer! So, look at each guitar individually...the pickups etc. Don't take one certain model and think they are all the same!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Jul 8 2008, 01:57 AM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 7 2008, 10:03 PM
Instructor
It depends on the pickup configuration and the wood mostly, not the brand or a model.

Strat has alder body, maple neck, maple or rosewood fingerboard, and it has single coils. This gives that classic twangy, glassy bell-like tone that you can hear on many records, all sorts of music. I would say Strat is good fro metal too, but there are plenty guitars a lot more suitable for that.

Les Paul is very different guitar, being mostly mahogany-based, humbucker pickups and tune-o-matic bridge gives them characteristic bottom sound, concrete, fat and violin type sustain.

Telecaster is a light guitar, moslty suitable for country to rock, but teles are used by many artist in all sorts of music, jazz, rock, blues, funk, alternative music,

PRS guitars are famous for joining together good qualities of strat and LP by bringing the fat tone of the LP and the glassy light contour of the strat without being twangy.

Ibanez guitars are made very versatile and although there are a lot of low quality models, high end ones are quality made, mostly for heavy playing, shred, metal, but also suitable for many different styles depening on the pickups mostly.

all guitars can be very versatile and again we go back to the story about pickups and the wood. Those 2 things are the most important thing that give the guitar it's sound among other things. ANother improtant thing is type of bridge.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 7 2008, 10:21 PM
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=7852 If you don't know already....this is a nice piece of information !

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 7 2008, 10:30 PM
... what do you mean.. different guitar for different genre... huh.gif ... i only know 1 guitar.. its called a schecter ... and it works for all genres.... biggrin.gif tongue.gif.. just me kiddin smile.gif.. but not really rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
black and white
Jul 7 2008, 10:38 PM
This is all great information and greatly appreciated. I love to learn this kind of stuff...............another reason GMC is just so incredible. biggrin.gif Honestly, i have learned so very much in 7 months here. It has been fun and I can tell you I have learned more in 7 months than in 10 years of banging away at chords. This place is pretty special. Thanks to everyone, ya'll do a great job. And as great as the instructors are, the membership plays as important a role........ tongue.gif

OK, enough, i will probably soapbox again in a few more months...............(jeez was that my out loud voice.......) cool.gif

Nighthawk.....great link, thanks

This post has been edited by black and white: Jul 7 2008, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 8 2008, 02:05 PM
Instructor
No problemo mate, we're glad to help a companion. Just ask whatever you think it is important and we'll try to help. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 8 2008, 02:21 PM
Lets go fishing!
My PGM is incredibly versitle !! Blues and Jazz sounds beautiful on it !! smile.gif I would say the same goes for most of the high end Ibanez for sure.

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Jul 9 2008, 12:51 AM
As others have said, there are numerous configurations. I have a an American Strat that has Lace Hot Gold Pups in it, with a high output single coil in the bridge that gives it a humbucker sound, so with my Strat I can get the clean highs with the neck and middle, but can get dirty if I want by using the bridge pup. I also own a Gibson Les Paul Standard, and while it suits its purpose, is more bottom end so it is not great for clean(Not high) - more for Hard Rock. Wit that being said, there are ways to get more highs from it but requires modding(such as RS kit)

Not knowing your price range, If you want the most versitile guitar, get a Strat-type guitar, with a humbucker configuration in the bridge(Called the Fat Strat), that will cover alot of styles. Highway Ones are a good way to go if you can get a Humbucker in the bridge.

Best place to learn about reviews of guitars is www.harmony-central.com in the user reviews section.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:53 AM