What Should I Do?
Tjchep
Feb 21 2008, 06:42 AM
GMC:er
Ok.

As a Christmas gift my parents got me a nice ibanez :

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-S470DXQ...933-i1173436.gc

They got a great deal on it, 343. It was used for $500 or so and I had 20% off and then he took a little more off.

But I hate the feel of it,the action is a bit higher than I'd like And I don't really like the feel of the neck, too thin nothing to grab onto, (coming from a fuller neck on previous guitar). Nor the sound, Its to midrangy for me some may love it.

I know my parents are going to kill me for wanting to sell it but I don't know if I should, I could probably get 325-350 for it, its really in perfect shape.

So, do you think I should keep it and put new pickups in it? or just sell and save up for something alot better, like a high end guitar, $1000+?

And how would I ship this if I did sell it? Anyone interested, I'll post pitures and discuss it with my parents. And post audio clips if you'd like.

tj

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Feb 21 2008, 06:43 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Zephyr
Feb 21 2008, 07:07 AM
Hmm, tough decision. Selling it might hurt their feelings, but it's something you won't be happy with. I think I would explain to them that it's just not right for you, but you appreciate the thought, and trade/sell it for a different guitar. But, I don't know. If you do decide to sell it, I might be interested, it would be nice to have a guitar suited for "shreddy" stuff, but I don't think I could afford it right now anyways.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Feb 21 2008, 07:08 AM

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 21 2008, 07:44 AM
Instructor
I would definetly keep it.. The pickups can be changed, and the action can most likely be lowered smile.gif
Biggest problem i see is if your not comfortable with the neck, but maybe you get used to it after a while?

Ibanez probably makes the best budget guitars there is, and that one doesnt suck at all

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Feb 21 2008, 07:47 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 21 2008, 08:07 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Given 4 weeks to get some overtime done and get my next paycheck im 99% sure you'd be shipping that my way smile.gif <if u decided to sell

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 21 2008, 08:27 AM
My opinion is you should get rid of it and get something you like. There is no fun in playing a guitar you don't like. That might end with you giving up guitar. I'm sure your parents will understand that.

Selling it second hand though will reduce the price significantly.

What's imortant now isn't your parents feelings, it's yours. And they bought it to you to make you happy. They would rather see you happy with another guitar than unhappy with the one they picked.
The setup can be adjusted, but changing pickups might be to a cost close to the guitar, it would make more sense to get another one with the right pickups and you won't get your money back for the change if you sell it. And you still have a guitar with a neck you don't like.

Was it bought in a real store or online?
If it was bought in a regular store I'm sure you can come to an agreement with them and turn it in for another guitar of your liking, with a small reduction maybe.

If it's bought online it could be harder to do that. Check the sites terms. They might have some sort of "happy customer guarantee" so you can return it within a certain time.

Anyway discuss it with the store, no matter where they bought it. If they are descent you will be able to come to an agreement to boths liking.

/edit:
Didn't notice it was used...
You might still consider the options if it was bought in a store.

You can get a nice Schecter in that range, with better pickups and thicker neck.

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Feb 21 2008, 08:34 AM

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
bsamn
Feb 21 2008, 08:31 AM
I think either, let ur parents know its not the kind of guitar ur familiar with, its like buying a shirt that wont fit, you exchange it right?.
Or stick with and get used to the neck, but for that you honestly have to play this guitar alot, and get used to it quicker.

Take Care smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 21 2008, 10:30 AM
Instructor
Guitar=body and neck.
Everything else is add-on,whole hardware,including pickups of course.
So I would suggest to keep it for a while,save some money and buy something you really like. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 21 2008, 11:02 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Feb 21 2008, 08:27 AM) *
What's imortant now isn't your parents feelings, it's yours. And they bought it to you to make you happy. They would rather see you happy with another guitar than unhappy with the one they picked.

+1

Just discuss with them and tell them why it's not fit for you. Us parents so realize we're uncool and don't know about stuff like guitars, pokemon and DS games and may buy the wrong things from time to time.
I know I would be happy to see my kids act with confidense in a case like yours. Inform parents (we like to be involved), rid the guitar you don't want and get the one of your choice.

If you manage well your mom will be worried you're cutting loose from the umbilical cord while us dads want to see our boys are able to act on your own so we can finally kick you out for you to get a place of your own laugh.gif
(joke with a little bit of truth in it wink.gif )

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 21 2008, 11:19 AM
I got a guitar for my 18th birthday and sold it and my parents were really down about it. I really wish I'd kept it because it was my first guitar sad.gif An Epiphone SG G-400. I have my 21st birthday present though still of my Gibson SG and I aint ever letting it go.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 21 2008, 01:14 PM
Instructor
I would suggest that you keep the guitar for a while. It is useful to play many different guitars as much as possible. This way you experience more different shapes and sounds and find the one you really want. Action is not a big problem, and the sound can be adjusted via EQ, so no worries, it will be fine for a while. If you decide to sell it, be sure to have enough money to buy a new one, and this time you'll have bigger experience searching what you really need.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 21 2008, 05:15 PM
I have an 01 S470DXQM the INF pickups that come in it are horrid. I swapped mine for DMz Evos, and if I was a smaller person, it'd probably be my mainstay. I love the sound of it. It can get down and dirty with the lows, now as well as ring out on the highs. I can get a really cool almost "bell like" sound through playing through the neck on leads. I really like the sound of the thin mahogany w/ maple cap on it. When I play pantera stuff, this is the axe I reach for. Not liking the neck is one thing, but for about $120 you can get a good quality pickup installed at bridge or neck. If you get 2 at once you might work a deal out on the install. I don't ever use the middle pickup, so I didn't bother replacing it.

IMO, you might appear ungrateful to your parents if you sell it so soon, which means they might hesitate getting you a gift like this in the future. You find an amp you REALLY want and it's in the price range, they might say "no way you'll just sell it in a month". I'd put your pennies together and pull the trigger on your next one solo, in the mean time I'd make due with your S470. I'd at least swap out a pick up before deciding to part with it altogether.

But I do need to go ahead and berate you for asking for a guitar you'd never even played. You should have been able to identify you didn't like the neck in the first minute of being handed that guitar. ALWAYS put your gear through it's paces before walking home with it. You wouldn't be in this situation if you'd bothered to really have a go at it.

This is what my S470 looks like

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 21 2008, 05:39 PM
Well, my parents see me doing this alot. Personally I do it, and never loose more than 10% on the item. But I've sold probably 50 things on ebay, made quite a bit of money, and was able to get my first guitar smile.gif.

BTW, I have another guitar smile.gif.

So you guys that are interested. Keep in touch, I'll even post some pitures if you'd like.

Personally, I think my hands are just to small for the neck, and I think the biggest thing in guitars are their feel, because If I'm going to be playing for hours on end uncomfortably, how much are pickups going to change it. So I think I'm going to sell it.

I think I would rather have one guitar, Just off of personal experience, If I practice this one lick, then I go to a different guitar, it feels totally different, cause of the fret size, string distance, even action. I'd be fine just having one really nice guitar that I can always go to.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Edit: Cant return it to the guitar store, it's been over 30 days sad.gif.

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Feb 21 2008, 05:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 21 2008, 05:49 PM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 20 2008, 09:42 PM) *
But I hate the feel of it,the action is a bit higher than I'd like And I don't really like the feel of the neck, too thin nothing to grab onto

I'm confused, first you say the neck is too thin and that you like a fuller neck.

Then you say your hands are too small for the neck that you previously described as too thin. huh.gif

Sorry, I'm confused laugh.gif clarify? smile.gif

QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 21 2008, 08:39 AM) *
Personally, I think my hands are just to small for the neck

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 21 2008, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 21 2008, 05:49 PM) *
I'm confused, first you say the neck is too thin and that you like a fuller neck.

Then you say your hands are too small for the neck that you previously described as too thin. huh.gif

Sorry, I'm confused laugh.gif clarify? smile.gif

Hah, I guess Im a confusing person.

The neck is too thin, I like fuller necks, but not as wide, this is a really flat fretboard so there is a greater distance between strings.

Its kind of hard to describe over the internet lol, If you still dont understand tell me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 21 2008, 08:17 PM
Interesting, I like have a couple guitars for different sounds/pickup configs/tunings ready to go. The Wiz2 neck on that I don't think of as having a particularly wide fingerboard, but if you say so, that's all that really matters.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 21 2008, 09:44 PM
Instructor
Can you post a picture of the (problematic) guitar so we can check it out more thouroughly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 21 2008, 09:47 PM
Well, I dont know, its not that wide, but its just uncomfortable to me. I don't know the REAL reason, it just doesn't really work for me I guess.

Its not a problematic guitar, its fine, I just don't really like it.

Just imagine it as a kid thinks hes getting candy but takes a bite and its somthing he personally doesnt like, but others love.

Heh, bad analogy I know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 21 2008, 10:36 PM
Instructor
Do you dislike the looks of the guitar maybe?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 21 2008, 11:03 PM
Instructor
its better to keep it .and try to change the pickups thats the best way

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 21 2008, 11:50 PM
Instructor
I think so too wink.gif i understand that the neck is little uncomfortable, but if that is ALL you dislike, you can get use to that if you give it some time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:12 AM