2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Silent Movies, Not exactly "Electronic Entertainment", I Know
The Uncreator
Dec 23 2007, 04:37 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Anyone here into Silent Movies? I Get weird looks when people find out i like quite a bit of Silent Movies, one of my favorites is Nosferatu, from 1921 i believe, also, the first Dracula movies based off of Bram Stokers novel of the same name.

Any fans at all?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 23 2007, 04:45 AM
Learning Roadie
I love Nosferatu biggrin.gif One of my favorite movies. Other than that I don't really know many.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
xucphra
Dec 23 2007, 04:46 AM
GMC:er
Oh yes, Nosferatu is a classic. I've seen it many times, and in fact I believe I have it saved on my computer happy.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 23 2007, 01:58 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Not exact;y Movies, but I used to love Harold Lloyd ..

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 23 2007, 04:58 PM
Lets go fishing!
never seen it but would love too ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
xucphra
Dec 23 2007, 05:06 PM
Another really old movie that is my favorite: Night of the Living Dead ....even though it isn't silent happy.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 23 2007, 05:26 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (xucphra @ Dec 23 2007, 04:06 PM) *
Another really old movie that is my favorite: Night of the Living Dead ....even though it isn't silent happy.gif

Would that make it a regular movie ?? laugh.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
xucphra
Dec 23 2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, well it's old and black and white...so it's closer to these kinds of movies

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 23 2007, 05:46 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (xucphra @ Dec 23 2007, 04:27 PM) *
Yeah, well it's old and black and white...so it's closer to these kinds of movies

Id like to see that one actually, my mate always raves on about it as a classic movie ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
xucphra
Dec 23 2007, 05:54 PM
Night of the Living Dead (Click Here)

Nosferatu(Click)

Enjoy. Most black and white and/or classic movies are on Google Video for free

This post has been edited by xucphra: Dec 23 2007, 05:55 PM

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Slammer
Dec 23 2007, 05:57 PM
When I was a kid I used to love the old comedy silent movies, like Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton's stuff.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 23 2007, 06:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (xucphra @ Dec 23 2007, 04:54 PM) *
Night of the Living Dead (Click Here)

Nosferatu(Click)

Enjoy. Most black and white and/or classic movies are on Google Video for free

Wow thanks! thats very kind of you indeed! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
xucphra
Dec 23 2007, 06:01 PM
I was watching them last night; and I still had them open, so I decided to share happy.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 23 2007, 06:02 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 23 2007, 05:00 AM) *
Wow thanks! thats very kind of you indeed! biggrin.gif

Both of those are great movies biggrin.gif Enjoy.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 23 2007, 06:09 PM
Lets go fishing!
Nothing like a free movie ! (Unles its a Britney Spears movie in which case im not so interested) laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Dec 23 2007, 06:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
xucphra
Dec 23 2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah, nobody likes a chubby blond bimbo trying to dance on stage

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 24 2007, 02:51 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 23 2007, 08:58 AM) *
Not exact;y Movies, but I used to love Harold Lloyd ..

Harold Lloyd was great. I have not seen a lot of his films but Safety Last! would be my favourite of his.

I love silent movies. Actually anything from the golden age of Hollywood ranks high in my books smile.gif A few of my faves are:

The General - Buster Keaton
City Lights - Charlie Chaplin
Nosferatu - Max Schreck
The Phantom of the Opera - Lon Chaney
The Kid - Charlie Chaplin

Anything by Buster Keaton of Chaplin is worth a look actually. They did a lot of their own directing aswell. A few other good directors to check out would be D.W. Griffith, F.W. Murnau and Fritz Lang. (Murnau directed Nosferatu)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 24 2007, 02:52 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Im surprised!

I thought i might be the only fan of Nosferatu, seems we have quite a few fans here smile.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 24 2007, 03:09 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 24 2007, 09:52 AM) *
Im surprised!

I thought i might be the only fan of Nosferatu, seems we have quite a few fans here smile.gif

It's a great movie.

Actually the movie "Shadow of the Vampire" with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe is a fictional tale of the making of Nosferatu. It's a pretty horrible movie though (I thought anyways) but figured I'd mention it anyways. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Mar 24 2008, 04:24 AM
Other side of the coin
Just a recommendation for you, Uncreator -- and others -- since I sat through a lot of silent movies during film and media studies at university... Some more enjoyable than others (Birth of a Nation was not a favorite) smile.gif

Sunrise

It's by Murnau, so I guess you might have seen it, but that film is one of the few (about 15 out of 400) films that I have given 10 stars on IMDb. From the end of the silent era, and it did have a score recorded (although it works well without one).

And, of course, Das Kabinett des Dr. Caligari is a classic too. Probably the most stylized of the expressionist films.

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Mar 24 2008, 04:30 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:10 PM