2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Now Check This Out!, Beta version of the new GMC search!
Henrik Skotth
Aug 21 2007, 04:55 AM
GMC Tech & Community Manager
Due to unfortunate circumstances, we haven't been able to completely finish the stuff surrounding the new search system, such as a widening of the layout here at GMC and some other things. The search itself is finished though, and it's REALLY cool (I know that I shouldn't be the one to say that, but I'm allowed! Kris said so tongue.gif )

Anyway, we decided to let all of you guys have a preview look. And not just one of them images that I post every now and when, this is the real deal!

So what are you waiting for, check it out!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/beta/

Some final notes of stuff that we are aware of:
  • Those of you with Internet Explorer (at least IE 6) will notice that the content of the search results box flows out of it. I'm aware of this and it's going to be fixed.
  • Some of our european users will find the system a bit slow. That's because you use the US servers at the beta address. This is because we noticed that the search was REALLY slow when running it from the european servers. We hadn't noticed this untill just now, because we always test everything on the US servers. However, we know what the problem is and will have this fixed very soon.
  • Well... some other stuff that I don't remember right now should probably go on this list as well smile.gif

Feedback is appreciated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 21 2007, 04:58 AM
GMC:er
I'll be the first one to say; Verra Cool!

It's working fine in Opera here with the exception of the floating window going underneath the vid of kris going "YOU READY" laugh.gif

Noice.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Owen: Aug 21 2007, 04:58 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
Aug 21 2007, 04:58 AM
Some more things that we are aware of:

* Dragging the search results box doesn't work in IE yet
* Lots of pictures are missing from the search results - this is because only the later lessons have these bigger images. They will be there for all lessons soon, though!
* If the flash video on the startpage is shown, it will be seen through the search results box as well (at least in firefox). We'll make sure that won't happen when the system is completely finished.

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 21 2007, 04:59 AM
GMC Founder
Yes indeed! Here is your chance to have a final say before we finish the feature biggrin.gif

Also - note that you can now find all the lessons from your favorite instructor! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayen
Aug 21 2007, 05:12 AM
Woah! It looks great, good job guys.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
swingline
Aug 21 2007, 05:17 AM
Great job! Can't wait until it comes into effect.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 21 2007, 05:18 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Very very very very very very cool smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 21 2007, 05:20 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
AWESOME

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 21 2007, 05:22 AM
Instructor
Looks very nice except for already mentioned bugs! but anyway - looks very promising! Great job!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Aug 21 2007, 06:00 AM
Instructor
Well done!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Aug 21 2007, 06:38 AM
Very nice, the search is a much needed feature!

Couple things :
* Opera 9.22 build 8801 : The background of the search box does not cover all the results ( only about the first 4 ).

* In the Lesson Suggestions list ( before results are shown ), it may be nice to make the instructor name clickable from there like it is in the search results to quickly filter if there's a particular instructor there you want to find lessons for. Same with the "section", IE: Solo lesson.

OT : Owen - Rock on for using Opera! XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 21 2007, 06:51 AM
The Dark Canuck
Awesome job! Search feature was a great idea.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Aug 21 2007, 07:10 AM
I like the search feature, however now the page looks to be a little "busy". There almost seems to be too much information with the lessons all over the place for a main/intro page. Other than that, the idea of having the search is excellent.

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 21 2007, 07:13 AM
Looks great! Can't wait, keep up the good work guys! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 21 2007, 07:55 AM
Instructor
This is Beta,and I like it already! ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
SEANCD2005
Aug 21 2007, 08:11 AM
Very cool guys cant wait biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RodneyU
Aug 21 2007, 11:50 AM
We need more AJAX, errr.. Cowbell! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Hungus
Aug 21 2007, 12:02 PM
Oh man this is awesome. You are a legend Henrik biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
Aug 21 2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestion about clickable teacher names, exorcyze, we'll make sure that will be implemented!

jeff: That is one thing that we are a bit worried about, that there will just be too much on the startpage. Especially how it will look for first time visitors - for oldtimers we hope that the startpage might eventually be kind of a portal page with personalized suggestions etc. We're going to give that some more more thought!

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 22 2007, 03:21 AM
what exactly is wrong with simple and effective solutions to problems? new nifty wiz bang stuff may seem neat at first, but the newness passes, and then the issue is, have you made life simple for the clients.? I don't see it.
The problem is having to jump through hoops to get to what we are looking for. All you did was put up a different hoop.

edit: Also, am I the only one who is annoyed at "suggestions" put there on the web site? Real waste of real estate, if you are concerned with the existing clients. Maybe It looks good in a marketing sense, but that does not do anything for us who are already here, and it uses up valuable front page real estate.

This being said, I love the content of the site, the teachers are great, Pavel, Marcus, everybody. I am very happy. This all to me is not that important, the content is what matters to me. Maybe your focus here is on marketing. I think Kris is pretty sharp, and maybe that should be your concern. It is not like any of us are leaving because we don't like the navigation system.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 22 2007, 03:40 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:50 AM