> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

103 Pages V  « < 100 101 102 103 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 7 2019, 04:31 PM
Post #2021

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Great update Phil!! I'm glad to know that your ear is getting better and better! smile.gif

Nice place and castle there mate. I've been reading a bit about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolsover_Castle

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 7 2019, 08:01 PM
Post #2022

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Gab,

I'm really amazed at how my ear is improving smile.gif and am looking forward to it translating to my playing eventually. I'm still struggling to follow the chords but now it's not so much hearing the changes but I'm always thinking, "Oh shit! which chord are we on now? I've lost track f*#@". I've always had a problem remembering sequences, I'll have to find a way to overcome that huh.gif

Another quote from that book, very interesting and something I am very very guilty of not doing, even though I now have my revision folder, I still sometimes go over old ground, I can't seem to help it, it's kind of fear of losing it, but, I end up trying to fit too much in and getting frustrated mad.gif I'm not as bad as I used to be though wink.gif

AUDIT DELETION

In working with clients to achieve massive clarity and integrate their vision into daily reality, I’ve noticed a trend:

They’re operating on a foundation that’s ready to implode at any moment.

There is no space, and stacking new habits, rituals, responsibilities, and tasks on this foundation is bound for failure. As we mentioned earlier, capacity and bandwidth are crucial in life yet extremely limited. Where most consultants and coaches go wrong is adding before deleting, then wondering why their clients simply can’t execute and follow through.

For the 1% Rule to truly work, you’re going to have to create space in your life. This requires you to take inventory, or do an audit, and delete what’s not serving you. Once you’ve done this, you can strategically insert what’s aligned with your vision—and things become simple.

©Tommy Baker. The 1% Rule: How to Fall in Love with the Process and Achieve Your Wildest Dreams

I'm glad you like to see the places I visit, and it shows that you do when you look at wiki to find out more cool.gif . Many are part of the National Trust, of which we are members and some, like Bolsover are https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/about-us/ which we aren't members but our neighbours are and often give us two for one vouchers. If you ever visit the UK and plan on visiting some of them it might be economical to buy a 1 year pass as four or five visits would cover the cost, you can use it as many times as you want, ten places in one week if you want to. You can always just join on the day and the cost of admission for that day is counted towards your annual membership wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 9 2019, 08:05 PM

--------------------
MY CURRENT REVISION FOLDER HERE

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 9 2019, 07:43 PM
Post #2023

Instructor
Group Icon

Interesting stuff mate! I'm enjoying that book's quotes. Very inspiring. It's always positive to do some self analysis and see what things are not contributing good things to our life.

Regarding the "National Trust" thing, I'll ask you again when I decide to visit the UK! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 9 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #2024

Cheers Gab,

Yeah that book is great for instructors and students of any subject, it just needs reading a few times to sink in.

Tonight was the first time my interval training didn't move forward but that had to come at some point, plus I only had around four hours sleep last night rolleyes.gif

I played along with Paul and Nathan for 20 minutes and came up with some new licks that I hadn't spotted Paul play before.

I then tried to find a way to combat my problem remembering where I am in the chord progression. For a change I used this backing from my revision folder, I played slow licks and said the name of the chord on each note I played just trying to nail the sequence into my brain wacko.gif

I didn't have time for chords, it's the old story, when time runs low, skip the chords but be sure to do everything else. huh.gif I know it's wrong as chords are 99% of any song!!!

I'll keep it going like this until my holiday in one and a half weeks where I will keep up with my ear training one way or another cool.gif

Cheers buddy.

Phil

English lesson:
Slipping into bad habits outside the classroom HERE but have faith, with practise it will become second nature wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 10 2019, 02:23 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 10 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #2025

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 9 2019, 04:55 PM) *
Cheers Gab,

Yeah that book is great for instructors and students of any subject, it just needs reading a few times to sink in.

Tonight was the first time my interval training didn't move forward but that had to come at some point, plus I only had around four hours sleep last night rolleyes.gif

I played along with Paul and Nathan for 20 minutes and came up with some new licks that I hadn't spotted Paul play before.

I then tried to find a way to combat my problem remembering where I am in the chord progression. For a change I used this backing from my revision folder, I played slow licks and said the name of the chord on each note I played just trying to nail the sequence into my brain wacko.gif

I didn't have time for chords, it's the old story, when time runs low, skip the chords but be sure to do everything else. huh.gif I know it's wrong as chords are 99% of any song!!!

I'll keep it going like this until my holiday in one and a half weeks where I will keep up with my ear training one way or another cool.gif

Cheers buddy.

Phil

English lesson:
Slipping into bad habits outside the classroom HERE but have faith, with practise it will become second nature wink.gif

haha it seems that I'll never switch to "for now". I don't know why it doesn't sound good to use "for now" for me... mad.gif

Thanks for the update mate! I think that you should find a way to make the chord practice moment funny. We still need to find the best way to practice chords...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 10 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #2026

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 10 2019, 02:27 PM) *
haha it seems that I'll never switch to "for now". I don't know why it doesn't sound good to use "for now" for me... mad.gif

It's not that it doesn't sound "good" to you, it's just that you are unfamiliar with it which is also the reason you are struggling to change. Think about it like you said above, "doesn't sound good to use "for now" for me", you used "for me" with no problem, you will see how it works in English. You wouldn't say, "by me" unless you were telling someone where to put something or where to stand, so you used "for me" wink.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 10 2019, 02:27 PM) *
Thanks for the update mate! I think that you should find a way to make the chord practice moment funny. We still need to find the best way to practice chords...

".....make the chord practice moment funny." should be "make it FUN", "funny" is when one laughs at it whereas "fun" is when it is enjoyable. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/br...ar/fun-or-funny

There is also another meaning of "funny", it can mean "strange" or "odd". "I had a funny feeling about this", "It's funny that they turned up here when nobody likes them".

I do practice chords but I guess it's just one of those things, they never sound impressive or inspiring unless you're doing something like "Pinball Wizard" wink.gif cool.gif

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 10 2019, 08:11 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 10 2019, 09:02 PM
Post #2027

Hello Gab,

Further to the post above. Here is tonight's ear training. I've hit a bit of a wall but I WILL persist.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/c-c-with-and-without-keyboard-with-tuner-assist-10072019

Here is another noodling along with Nathan and Paul but no backing just ideas:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/licks-ii

Chords A7 D7 E7:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/12-bar

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, please give me a task to complete before my holiday, I'm struggling with improv ideas on backing tracks wink.gif smile.gif

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 10 2019, 09:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 11 2019, 03:00 PM
Post #2028

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 10 2019, 11:51 AM) *
It's not that it doesn't sound "good" to you, it's just that you are unfamiliar with it which is also the reason you are struggling to change. Think about it like you said above, "doesn't sound good to use "for now" for me", you used "for me" with no problem, you will see how it works in English. You wouldn't say, "by me" unless you were telling someone where to put something or where to stand, so you used "for me" wink.gif

".....make the chord practice moment funny." should be "make it FUN", "funny" is when one laughs at it whereas "fun" is when it is enjoyable. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/br...ar/fun-or-funny

There is also another meaning of "funny", it can mean "strange" or "odd". "I had a funny feeling about this", "It's funny that they turned up here when nobody likes them".

I do practice chords but I guess it's just one of those things, they never sound impressive or inspiring unless you're doing something like "Pinball Wizard" wink.gif cool.gif

Cheers buddy.

Clarified!! Thanks a lot teacher! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 10 2019, 05:02 PM) *
Hello Gab,

Further to the post above. Here is tonight's ear training. I've hit a bit of a wall but I WILL persist.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/c-c-with-and-without-keyboard-with-tuner-assist-10072019

Here is another noodling along with Nathan and Paul but no backing just ideas:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/licks-ii

Chords A7 D7 E7:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/12-bar

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, please give me a task to complete before my holiday, I'm struggling with improv ideas on backing tracks wink.gif smile.gif

Cheers buddy.

Thanks for the update! I think that it's time to try all those rhythm ideas over backing tracks. It's cool to experiment without backing but it's important to see how these ideas work over backings.

About the chords, I hear tuning issues. Have you checked your guitar before recording?

Finally, I think that it can be good to work on any musical lesson, maybe a blues one? Do you have any in mind?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 11 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #2029

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 11 2019, 02:00 PM) *
Thanks for the update! I think that it's time to try all those rhythm ideas over backing tracks. It's cool to experiment without backing but it's important to see how these ideas work over backings.

Thanks Gab, as I said, I struggle to put them over a backing for some reason, I get pulled along with the backing's rhythm and plod along on the beat. I've really tried to overcome this but can't see how. I try every single night to apply those ideas to the two blues backings in my revision section, I can't seem to make it happen sad.gif

About the chords, I hear tuning issues. Have you checked your guitar before recording?

Yes Gab, it was the same guitar that I played the licks on. Maybe it's finger pressure unsure.gif

Finally, I think that it can be good to work on any musical lesson, maybe a blues one? Do you have any in mind?

I have been very very casually looking at this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Poor_Man_Blues_Solo/ but haven't really got beyond the first few bars. I usually have a go at the end of my session if I have time. Maybe you know of a more inspiring one?

Here is something for you to check. I play the notes around the chord area and then the chords, can you hear tuning issues? When I play through the chords string by string the tuner says the notes are very close to 0 but I can't tell when strumming.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/chord-check

Cheers buddy.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 11 2019, 09:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 12 2019, 03:46 PM
Post #2030

Instructor
Group Icon

I hear tuning issues on both chords and scales, not as important as in the previous audio but it's not tight.

Some ideas for lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Albert-King-Style/

or maybe even for more fun:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/ACDC-Y...ht-Long-Rhythm/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/ACDC-Y...ight-Long-Solo/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 12 2019, 09:00 PM
Post #2031

Thanks Gab, and great work with "FUN" wink.gif

I'll check out those lessons ASAP.

Here is the same guitar, same strings, tuned how I always tune it. I think the previous tuning issues are my fingers because I was very very gentle with this recording and it seems pretty good to me.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/note-check

UPDATE:
I checked those lessons buddy but due to copyright there are no tabs available. I know the instructor explains but that will be too tedious to hold my attention. How about this? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/blues_...ntasy_in_g-min/

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 13 2019, 08:28 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 13 2019, 10:09 PM
Post #2032

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, I think that your guitar sound good now.

Have you ever worked on this one?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Gary-M...e-Style-Ballad/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 14 2019, 10:03 AM
Post #2033

Thanks Gab,

If that guitar sounds good to you then all of the issues are finger pressure related because I did nothing other than tune it and play the notes with an ultra light touch which I struggle to do when playing.

I haven't worked with that Gary Moore lesson, for some reason it doesn't float my boat very much, the middle bit does a bit more than the rest but if you think it will be good for me then I'll work on it.

We went HERE yesterday. Very interesting. If you follow me on Instagram you can see pics wink.gif

Cheers buddy

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 14 2019, 07:09 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 15 2019, 04:03 PM
Post #2034

Instructor
Group Icon

Ok! So, we can go for this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/blues_...ntasy_in_g-min/

Awesome place mate! I'll check your insta!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 15 2019, 09:02 PM
Post #2035

Cheers buddy,

I'm on it.

Ear/interval training has stopped progression, do you think it would be good to do cbcacgcfcecdcc as well as what I've been doing to give my ear a bit of a kick up the ass? Or should I stick with it?

Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 16 2019, 02:58 PM
Post #2036

Instructor
Group Icon

Yes! Try different things!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 16 2019, 09:00 PM
Post #2037

Wow,

Well that was tricky, starting from middle C and working down I had no chance getting the lower notes. Starting from the C an octave down from middle C (I don't know what the correct term for it is) I could work my way up BUT, my voice switched to the octave above, ie, middle C upwards even though the keyboard was an octave lower. Crazy wacko.gif

I also worked on reducing the pressure when playing chords, I think this was the reason you heard tuning issues. The problem is, my hand isn't relaxed enough when making the chord shape and I think, subconsciously I'm fretting hard to make the fretboard stop my fingers from springing back to their "home" position. I guess my hands aren't supple enough, I need to work on that. i posted a question on the forum HERE.

Did some improvising trying a more rhythmic approach, didn't do very well, needs a LOT of work. This is why I think I need to learn more lessons to get some ammunition wink.gif

Made a start on the Phantasy lesson.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 17 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #2038

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! Thanks for the update! I can see you focused and working hard. There is nothing to add here, just keep on experimenting and your diary training.

Regarding fingers pressure, I think that I've already shared with you those videos by Kiko Loureiro and Rick Graham talking about this topic. Am I right?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 17 2019, 04:15 PM
Post #2039

Thanks Gab,

Yes the Kiko one but not the Rick Graham one, I need to work more on it I think, the shapes still aren't natural to me, maybe my hands are tense from manual work for nine hours per day?

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 17 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #2040

Instructor
Group Icon

Maybe, but it can be solved! This is the lesson:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

103 Pages V  « < 100 101 102 103 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 08:14 AM