Practice Plan?
Andrew6
Feb 19 2009, 07:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey guys, There has been a lot of talk on here of practice plans and I think I would like to design one of these things on my own. I am just curious what would be good to put on it. I saw Adams plan on the thread earlier but I do not really have that kind of time with work and school etc... Right now I think what needs the most work is my writing skills and probably scales, I always seem to be running up and down the scales and never really playing anything interesting and when I try to I kind of get stuck sad.gif . Also I should mention my influences would be EVH, Marty Friedman, Geroge Lynch, Nuno, Zakk Wylde and Randy Rhoads. Another problem I have is making interesting rhythms... They are all just kind of dull... If you guys have any lesson suggestions or exercises that would be very much appreciated. Thank you

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
sigma7
Feb 19 2009, 07:51 PM
GMC:er
what you need to add is the lessons currently learning
warmups including finger exercises
scales
chords
ear training (not necessary)
theory
jamming/creation,

the is the barebone basic

just minimize the time that fits you smile.gif

o and pick the stuf you want to learn

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sigma7: Feb 19 2009, 07:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 19 2009, 07:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Feb 19 2009, 02:51 PM) *
what you need to add is the lessons currently learning
warmups including finger exercises
scales
chords
ear training (not necessary)
theory
jamming/creation,

the is the barebone basic

just minimize the time that fits you smile.gif

o and pick the stuf you want to learn

That looks awesome I am just not positive how to work on all of that stuff. Like I understand theory I have problems applying it and chords does that mean just learn new chord shapes? Same with scales I can replay them all day I just have problems applying all of this stuff

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
sigma7
Feb 19 2009, 08:02 PM
what I would do is to find some theory books and work and read on the exercises when I have spare time, not much is necessary, just get the grasp of it, and listen to what is sounds like to you...imagine an image that you feel comes from playing the scale...maybe like 15 - 30 minutes considering your time table

now with chords, you can learn a new chord every time you play, memorize the shape and if you want the notes...try moving it around and learn different strumming patterns. If you just learned a scale from a previous theory lesson such as above, get a chord that fits with the scale

and the lessons, pick a lisson and work on it until you see fit, probably 10-20 minutes if time is of the essence, then after you can continue to work on the lesson, pick a new lesson, or jam to a favorite song

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Feb 19 2009, 09:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Andrew-

It is hard to start. Im sure sigma means well but if you dont what to do throwing out a bunch of stuff to learn when every one of those topices has many sub-topics to them it can get a bit daunting. I understand where your coming from. WHen I first here got here there is a wealth of information, almost too much and like me you need sorta the cliff notes version. I wrote a flow chart as a way to help a new person but didn't seem to go over very well.

I think the best thing you can do is to target a few things and concentrate on those few things. If you overwelm yourself with all this stuff you have to do nothing will get done.

I noticed you want to work on writing skills and scales? For the writing part its very hard I beleive to teach someone how to write. Kinda like how do you teach someone to be creative? Not that it can't be done. I think it really takes a moment of discovery for yourself on what you want to write. But for what has helped me is a drum machine and just riffing and recording everyting you can no matter how insignifcant it maybe. Change up the beats, slow them down speed them up, use alternate tunings etc...

For the scales. WHat is it that you want to learn about them? How much of it do you know already>? To me it sounds like you want to be able to write a rhythm track and solo over it right? I write too and maybe I can help you with that if like. Im not the best at it but can give you tips. Im on skype - My name is "beauled"

I am in ther process of learning myself and can understand how hard it can be but like I said work on small chunks and master them. Not that you cant introduce yourself to new techniques but the for me Id rather be a master of a couple that play a bunch that sound like junk.

I know this isn't much of a practice routine but I can try to help if you need. Becasue we all need help. A mentor..A guide. I have one!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Feb 19 2009, 09:06 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 19 2009, 09:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Feb 19 2009, 04:03 PM) *
Andrew-

It is hard to start. Im sure sigma means well but if you dont what to do throwing out a bunch of stuff to learn when every one of those topices has many sub-topics to them it can get a bit daunting. I understand where your coming from. WHen I first here got here there is a wealth of information, almost too much and like me you need sorta the cliff notes version. I wrote a flow chart as a way to help a new person but didn't seem to go over very well.

I think the best thing you can do is to target a few things and concentrate on those few things. If you overwelm yourself with all this stuff you have to do nothing will get done.

I noticed you want to work on writing skills and scales? For the writing part its very hard I beleive to teach someone how to write. Kinda like how do you teach someone to be creative? Not that it can't be done. I think it really takes a moment of discovery for yourself on what you want to write. But for what has helped me is a drum machine and just riffing and recording everyting you can no matter how insignifcant it maybe. Change up the beats, slow them down speed them up, use alternate tunings etc...

For the scales. WHat is it that you want to learn about them? How much of it do you know already>? To me it sounds like you want to be able to write a rhythm track and solo over it right? I write too and maybe I can help you with that if like. Im not the best at it but can give you tips. Im on skype - My name is "beauled"

I am in ther process of learning myself and can understand how hard it can be but like I said work on small chunks and master them. Not that you cant introduce yourself to new techniques but the for me Id rather be a master of a couple that play a bunch that sound like junk.

I know this isn't much of a practice routine but I can try to help if you need. Becasue we all need help. A mentor..A guide. I have one!! smile.gif

Yeah I do not have a drum machine but that would definitely be helpful! As far as scales go I learn them like the box shapes and where the root notes are but I have a hard time getting anything interesting out of them maybe its just I need more practice improvising over backings, not sure where to get just plain backings though and I do not have a drum machine to make my own... I think I will start recording everything like you suggested that would be very helpful as I make a ton of riffs and just forget them in minutes haha. Yeah it is pretty overwhelming there is sooo much I want to be able to do I just do not know what things I need to have completely behind me before moving on. I do have a couple theory books actually none that Ive actually stuck to as I can never figure out how to apply it and I quickly lose interest. But I will try to get through one if I can tongue.gif. I think the thing that is hurting me most for the writing aspect is the inability to lay down the beat and my lack of good recording materials right now I am using windows sound recorder( tongue.gif) and the Xbox360 mic for rock band ! Just hard on cash right now because of school and everything. I really appreciate the advice from both of and I am going to try and implement it the best I can and see if I can make something happen, thank you very much smile.gif

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 19 2009, 09:40 PM
with scale box patterns one thing that Opeth.db and I did (we work together on things from time to time) was learn a new one each week.

Week 1 - Learn box 1 - memorize it. Then play a solo with it over a backing track.

Week 2 - Learn the next box up the neck from the one you started with. Spend all week memorizing that. You should be able to point out the root notes quickly, memorize note names, etc. At the end of the week make a quick solo with BOTH boxes.

Week 3 - Box 3. The next one up the neck. Memorize it and then write a solo using all 3 boxes.

See where we're going? After 5 weeks you have the ENTIRE fretboard available in whatever key you chose.

The key is learning and continuing to practice all 5. If you dont, you'll forget them. Or all but one or 2 of them.

Make sense?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 19 2009, 09:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 19 2009, 04:40 PM) *
with scale box patterns one thing that Opeth.db and I did (we work together on things from time to time) was learn a new one each week.

Week 1 - Learn box 1 - memorize it. Then play a solo with it over a backing track.

Week 2 - Learn the next box up the neck from the one you started with. Spend all week memorizing that. You should be able to point out the root notes quickly, memorize note names, etc. At the end of the week make a quick solo with BOTH boxes.

Week 3 - Box 3. The next one up the neck. Memorize it and then write a solo using all 3 boxes.

See where we're going? After 5 weeks you have the ENTIRE fretboard available in whatever key you chose.

The key is learning and continuing to practice all 5. If you dont, you'll forget them. Or all but one or 2 of them.

Make sense?

That makes good sense actually, One thing I did not do was learn the note names. The minor Pentatonic for example I know all the box shapes already so I should find a backing in a key (prob am or c) and just play over it for awhile? and learn the notes as well ?

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 19 2009, 09:59 PM
No.

You should make a backing yourself.

Turn on the drum machine.

And write a backing in Am. Record it.

THEN play over it.

Concentrate on one or 2 boxes at first. In both octaves.

Make sense? Can you do it?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 19 2009, 10:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 19 2009, 04:59 PM) *
No.

You should make a backing yourself.

Turn on the drum machine.

And write a backing in Am. Record it.

THEN play over it.

Concentrate on one or 2 boxes at first. In both octaves.

Make sense? Can you do it?

I can minus I do not have a drum machine :S

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 19 2009, 10:13 PM
Sorry, I misread above. I thought you did. My bad.

Yeah, then round up a backing and go to it.

Here is one in I made G. You can use the same boxes you know just slide them down 2 frets.

Attached File  jer_Gmin_backing.mp3 ( 1.86MB ) Number of downloads: 141

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 19 2009, 10:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 19 2009, 05:13 PM) *
Sorry, I misread above. I thought you did. My bad.

Yeah, then round up a backing and go to it.

Here is one in I made G. You can use the same boxes you know just slide them down 2 frets.

Attached File  jer_Gmin_backing.mp3 ( 1.86MB ) Number of downloads: 141

Thanks a lot I might have to invest in a drum machine here soon though tongue.gif

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 19 2009, 10:18 PM
what are you using for recording? Do you do any on your pc?

If you are comfortable with midi there are lots of software drum solutions.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 19 2009, 10:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 19 2009, 05:18 PM) *
what are you using for recording? Do you do any on your pc?

If you are comfortable with midi there are lots of software drum solutions.

hahah for recording I am using a Rockband microphone for xbox 360 tongue.gif Thats how flat broke I am at the moment, Yeah I am having a look around now for some computer based ones

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 19 2009, 10:27 PM
what is the mic hooked up to?

Do you record via PC? What software do you use?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 19 2009, 10:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
PC , windows sound recorder lol

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 19 2009, 10:33 PM
alrighty.

Yeah, not much to work with there for creating backings. smile.gif

Lots to be found online though.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 20 2009, 12:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 19 2009, 05:33 PM) *
alrighty.

Yeah, not much to work with there for creating backings. smile.gif

Lots to be found online though.

Heres my first semi acceptable take of a lead over your backing... you will see what I mean about the sound of the scales running over and over again. Thats using the first two positions like you suggested, sorry for the sloppiness I was just improving over it :S .

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 20 2009, 12:36 AM
I cant get those to open. For some reason files attached that way don't work for me here.... Sir Craigery's attachments look the same way and don't open for me either.

If you find your solos sounding too "scalar" try humming something first. Then playing it. We think and hum more musically than our fingers work when learning I think.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 20 2009, 12:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 19 2009, 07:36 PM) *
I cant get those to open. For some reason files attached that way don't work for me here.... Sir Craigery's attachments look the same way and don't open for me either.

If you find your solos sounding too "scalar" try humming something first. Then playing it. We think and hum more musically than our fingers work when learning I think.

Ahh I see crapola, yeah thats another good idea thanks

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:29 AM