What Made You Pick Up The Guitar?
Pizzoaro
Dec 15 2008, 05:09 PM
GMC:er
Hi GMC, just wondered what made you guys pick up the guitar? Why did u choose that instrument? What was the first song or "thing" u learnt??

I picked up the guitar because i was grounded for skipping school once tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
I was so bored and i learnt my first song Seven nation Army by white stripes smile.gif
Since then guitar and music became my life biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
kjutte
Dec 15 2008, 05:11 PM
A friend taught me the intro of "nothing else matters". Bought a guitar days later smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 15 2008, 05:18 PM
Actually it was because I was horribly bored during the days and I needed some time to kill. That and the fact that I always wanted to be able to play some of my favourite songs pretty much made me do it. My big life goal of guitar playing was to be able to play All Apologies by Nirvana. I managed to do that a month after picking it up, then I realised there was more to the intstrument laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 15 2008, 05:19 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
A coincidence really, I've played various instruments since I was 7, mostly the electric organ and clarinet. Since about age 12 I was curious about the electric guitar but was still into other instruments. I also concidered drums. Not until I was 20 there was a guy at work who was selling his equipment, a beginner amp and guitar. I was working night with absolutely nothing to do so I decided to finally start learning to play so I bought his guitar and amp and started to practice there during my night shifts.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Dec 15 2008, 06:01 PM
started with recorder.. went and did piano.. hated it.. wished i had stayed with it.. in public school i learned violin... then i wanted to learn drums.. when my parents saw i showed no real interest in drums they bought me a guitar and i fell in love smile.gif

This post has been edited by Smikey2006: Dec 15 2008, 06:01 PM

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Matt23
Dec 15 2008, 06:04 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'd just given up the oboe because it was boring and was looking for another instrument. Some of my friends played guitar and the music I was into all involved guitar so I gave it a try and haven't looked back since.

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Dec 15 2008, 06:10 PM
guitar hero got me interested, and a neighbor in my universities dorms had a guitar... he tought me how to play the intro to "good riddance" by green day... Got hooked

yes....THE VIDEO GAME GUITAR HERO WAS ONE OF THE REASONS I PICKED UP GUITAR

tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Dec 15 2008, 06:36 PM
after i learned my first chord at the guitar i just fell in love smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Dec 15 2008, 06:54 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Well when I started listening to music, I fast discovered that I like rock and metal the most. And what is rock and metal without the guitar? Liking rock and metal = liking guitar:) So I bought one, thinking maybe I will be able to "rock" one day:D

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Dec 15 2008, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Chicks.

/how else would a dork like me meet women?

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 15 2008, 08:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
I always wanted to play the guitar but my first teacher at the age of 12 scared me off (accoustic + music theory). I did not try to learn the guitar until I was 17 and discovered that with tabs, there is no need for learning how to read music sheet...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Disturbed21
Dec 15 2008, 08:54 PM
Just kinda happened really. I was watching something on Tv about Guns 'n Roses and saw slash playing and said 'What the heck I'll give it a try". That was about a year and a half ago and I still remember it. Good thing about it was that my parents loved the idea. Had to pay for it though but it was well worth it biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Disturbed21: Dec 15 2008, 08:55 PM

--------------------
Enter The Doom And Gloom If You Dare Below This Message

http://www.last.fm/user/Disturbed21

and add if you want...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2008, 10:53 PM
Instructor
I was bored one day, and saw the old acoustic guitar on the floor, and decided to play with it a bit. And that was that biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jdriver
Dec 16 2008, 02:12 AM
I learned some things by memory on piano in high school, but couldn't read music, and always just assumed guitar would be impossible for me. But music was still my greatest thrill... Fast forward 30 years, and I'm thinking maybe I could just get a cheap guitar and learn Amazing Grace with a slide. Then one day I heard a solo by a favorite band, and I fell off the cliff. I said "that's it, I have to at least OWN the instrument that can do that."

As we all know, once you pick it up, you're hooked. smile.gif

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
N4085B
Dec 16 2008, 03:09 AM
Was around the mid 70's I bought Caress of Steel by Rush (thinking it was a new Pavlov's Dog album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvDE3eBlVHg ) and I heard Bastille Day...that got me hooked. I made the same mistake in the mid 80's when I bought Alcatrazz's No Parole from Rock and Roll thinking it was a new MSG album (Graham Bonnet sang on both)...that got me hooked on shred!

This post has been edited by N4085B: Dec 16 2008, 03:27 AM

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 16 2008, 03:14 AM
Heard kill em all when it first came out and everyone else was listening to journey, i remember chillin at the pool and listening to metallica, everyone hated them but me and a few friends... Picked up a guitar and wanted to learn the whole album, I thought if i learned that album I would be one of the baddest guitarist in the world..

First song i learned was working man by rush

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
SensE
Dec 16 2008, 03:17 AM
I always wanted to learn an instrument since I was 10. I love pop and instrumental music a lot but I have never really pick 1 instrument and learn it. At the age of 17, my best friend invited me to his band rehersal for couple for Rock songs, I was hooked to guitar at that time and never walked back. Rock and metal rules.

+Quote Post
besip
Dec 16 2008, 05:31 AM
i'm always wana play..but i'm was thing my whole life i'm can't do that

like14-15 month ago i'm start dreaming{realy at night when i'm was sleep} abouth buying Guitar and strating play
i'm dreaming like every night for around 3 weaks.....1 mornig i'm just get up and tel my Girlfriend what is our budget i'm need to go and buy it laugh.gif

she wasn't happy becouse she wana buy the guitar for me after 2-3 weaks becouse i'm has a birthday at this time

so thats my crazy story rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Dec 16 2008, 05:32 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 16 2008, 05:38 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I went to see U2's rattle and hum. Thought it was the coolest thing and just had to learn how to play guitar. My girlfriend, now my wife, told me I'd quit after a month. Boy has she lived to eat those words laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Monte

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 16 2008, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I had a crack in my foot and i was so bored just sitting at home doing nothing but play poker.......

I really wanted to learn how to play my favorite music so i bought a guitar

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:40 AM