3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
What Made You Pick Up The Guitar?
kjutte
Dec 16 2008, 07:53 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (superize @ Dec 16 2008, 07:41 AM) *
I had a crack in my foot and i was so bored just sitting at home doing nothing but play poker.......

I really wanted to learn how to play my favorite music so i bought a guitar

Speaking of favorite music. When I bought my guitar I told myself that within 1 year I wantedto be able to play the solo in "Wayfaerer" by In Flames. And I made it!

Motivation plays a huge role. I think it's alot easier to learn guitar if you have something specific in mind that you want to learn.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mba64
Dec 16 2008, 07:54 AM
I have a friend that owns me some money and gave me an guitar insted of money after that I was sold.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
LTD WA-600 (EMG JH)
Cort Bass
M-Audio AV40

+Quote Post
valentino
Dec 16 2008, 09:04 AM
My uncle play spanish guitar since I have memory, so guitar was always in my life and in my ear.
I played a bit but with more pain than glory tongue.gif

Time passed and as I always liked guitar, and heavy metal, I bought a Behringer usb and found funny to play some chords with all of these sounds. Then I found GMC and thought... If I learn to play seriously?

And here I am laugh.gif

First thing I played... First chords of Smoke on the water... as many of us I think wink.gif

--------------------
If somebody finds a slice of finger call me please, surely is mine

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Dec 16 2008, 09:08 AM
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction for sure, but once the video for November Rain came out and I seen that solo, I knew I would play when I could afford one.

I didn't come from a wealthy family when I was little, so I had to wait 4 years (and that really really sucked) LOL

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Dec 16 2008, 09:09 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Dec 16 2008, 09:21 AM
Learning Roadie
It was down to a mate of mine I'd not seen him in ages after we left school. I went to 6th Form college to study A'levels and pretty much hated the 2 years I spent there mad.gif . Whilst my mate did a music course and started playing electric guitar.

I met up with him during the summer holidays and its was a 'holy grail' moment when he showed me what he could play and that was it, I had to play the electric guitar. Never looked back since and I find its a great way to relax after a stressful day.

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Dec 16 2008, 09:22 AM

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Dec 16 2008, 11:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Played several instruments since I was 8 (drums, keyboards, piano), although very low level and decided to switch to guitar in order to facilitate and contribute to my heavy metal looks when I was 16 smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
berko
Dec 16 2008, 11:43 AM
Listened to Comfortably Numb (Pulse Version) from Gilmour 2 years ago and the rest is history.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Dec 16 2008, 03:22 PM
Instructor
What an interesting topic!
I picked up the guitar after seeing my friends in middle school playing.
First song I learned was Yesterday from the Beatles I think...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
TwistedSun
Dec 16 2008, 03:30 PM
Metallica.

After hearing the crazy tapping solo to their song 'One' I figured I had to learn it. So I did.

Thanks to David Wallimann for your awesome classical taps lesson. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by TwistedSun: Dec 16 2008, 03:33 PM

--------------------
Starting Gear: Epiphone Limited 50th Anniversary SG, Line 6 Spider II 75watt combo amp.
New Gear: Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR, Engl Powerball 100w, Engl Pro 4x12, Z-5 Footswitch

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Dec 16 2008, 04:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Watching "Crossroads" when I was a kid, and seeing Steve Vai and Ralph Macchio having a guitar battle in the end for the guys soul! That changed me forever!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 16 2008, 04:51 PM
Stevie and Jimi.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 16 2008, 05:00 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I heard Dave Murray playing on Brave New World (Iron Maiden).

That was about 7 years ago since I bought it, Havent stopped since smile.gif

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 16 2008, 07:23 PM
Initially, I was drawn to the guitar because I wanted to meet wimmings. I soon got over that after realizing I was in it for the music. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Canis
Dec 16 2008, 10:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
A friend of mine just threw a guitar in my arms one time when I was over at his place, and learned me Tom Dooley tongue.gif
After that I was satisfied, walking around thinking "Hah.. I can play the guitar.... It wasn't that hard!" Of course, I had no motivation to keep playing just because of that one song..
About 6 months or so went by without even thinking about the guitar, when suddenly I was searching youtube for some random remixes of game-music (more spesific: The Morrowind theme song). I saw this clip, and this clip, and I just knew tongue.gif
After that, I of course had to take back the "It's not that hard" part... Since it was pretty hard to pass that first step between random noises and music ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Dec 17 2008, 11:06 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
My parents wanted me to learn an instrument and since I was a metal head back then already I picked the guitar smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Dec 17 2008, 11:15 AM
I saw my friend playing some cool metal riffs, i was amazed and decided to learn how to play:) But actually i picked guitar year later, when i was 17.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 17 2008, 11:21 AM
Instructor
My dad used to play songs from 60s,70s,80s to me and my brother every night so that was my main influence smile.gif
He could play chords, sing along and do the riffs with some beginner soloing with major/major pentatonic.
The rest just falls into places - anywhere from Metallica , GNR, Nirvana, Santana to Satriani, Eric Johnson to nowdays my all time favorite Michael Brecker and John Coltrane!

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 17 2008, 02:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
after I heard this..

I needed to play... Man Im old tongue.gif

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Dec 17 2008, 02:16 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 17 2008, 02:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Dec 17 2008, 02:16 PM) *
after I heard this..

I needed to play... Man Im old tongue.gif

That album is great !

I performed in London Memories from that album. Guitar Institute final concert etc

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 17 2008, 02:56 PM

I was 9 yrs old. My friend Matt had a Fender Bullet Deluxe. He didnt even know how to tune it. I stayed over at his house one night and we stayed up all night listening to his brothers albums.

I was introduced to the guitar and metal and I never looked back.

Judas Priest's British Steel was the standout album that night. Specifically the song "Grinder". I had never heard music like that. Mom always played country in the old station wagon. My love of metal was instantaneous.

Thanks Matt!

\m/ \m/

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:45 AM