Improving Rhythm Guitar
Arizona11
Jan 3 2016, 10:24 AM
GMC:er
I have been looking to improve my rhythm guitar playing (preferably rock blues), I know the traditional open chords, barre chords etc. But I've been looking for a way to move around the fret board more. Spice things up a bit but keep a nice hard rock or rock blues sound.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KenA
Jan 3 2016, 11:31 AM
QUOTE (Arizona11 @ Jan 3 2016, 09:24 AM) *
I have been looking to improve my rhythm guitar playing (preferably rock blues),...

Hi Arizona11 , for Rock-Blues rhythm in specific it's good to play stuff like the ones I'm listing below as a small example:

www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Rock-Rhythm/ - Stephane Lucarelli
www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Mixolydian-Sixths-RnB/ - Javier Aviles
www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-guitar/jimi-hendrix-style-lesson/ - Jerry Arcidiacono
www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Groovy-Funk-Rock/ - Javier Aviles
www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Millencolin-Style/ - Gabriel Leopardi
www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ratt-Style - Gabriel Leopardi

Among many others you may find here at GMC

One thing I always mention when someone talk about Rhythm Guitar is that (IMHO) it's always good to go for the Funk Rhythm stuff. For me the master is Ross Bolton (RIP), try the tutorial book: Funk Guitar Essential Guide

The DVD version is similar and good if you want to see the hand movement, but I prefer the book.

Here's Ross in action: Funk in Seven

but don't get intimidated, the book covers all the necessary basic stuff before delving into more advanced stuff.

Hope the info above helps :-)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by KenA: Jan 4 2016, 10:16 AM

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jan 3 2016, 12:35 PM
Learning Roadie
hey

this is also my goal for 2016, i keep this post in a safe place !!

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 3 2016, 08:01 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (KenA @ Jan 3 2016, 10:31 AM) *
Hi Arizona11 , for Rock-Blues rhythm in specific it's good to play stuff like the ones I'm listing below as a small example:

www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Rock-Rhythm/ - Stephane Lucarelli
www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Mixolydian-Sixths-RnB/ - Javier Aviles
www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-guitar/jimi-hendrix-style-lesson/ - Jerry Arcidiacono
www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Groovy-Funk-Rock/ - Javier Aviles
www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Millencolin-Style/ - Gabriel Leopardi
www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ratt-Style - Gabriel Leopardi

Among many others you may find here at GMC

One thing I always mention when someone talk about Rhythm Guitar is that (IMHO) it's always good to go for the Funk Rhythm stuff. For me the master is Ross Bolton (RIP), try the tutorial book: Funk Guitar Essential Guide

The DVD version is similar and good if you want to see the hand movement, but I prefer the book.

Here's Ross in action: https://www.youtube....h?v=cGm0iXREaco

but don't get intimidated, the book covers all the necessary basic stuff before delving into more advanced stuff.

Hope the info above helps :-)

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the post but can you check out the YouTube link please. I can't get it to work.
Cheers

Update:
If I click and hold on the link and select "copy link text" then paste that into the address bar, I get a Google search results list and it is listed in there. He's good wink.gif thanks.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 3 2016, 08:04 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 4 2016, 05:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Arizona11 @ Jan 3 2016, 06:24 AM) *
I have been looking to improve my rhythm guitar playing (preferably rock blues), I know the traditional open chords, barre chords etc. But I've been looking for a way to move around the fret board more. Spice things up a bit but keep a nice hard rock or rock blues sound.

Hi Arizona! This is a great goal! Ken has suggested many cool lessons that will help you to improve your rhythm playing.

Your goal has two main directions, the first one is related to rhythm, in other words to your right hand technique, and how you play along a song, or with a drum loop / metronome. For this, you can use GMC lessons as well as my timing workout.

The second part of your goal is related to knowing better the fret board. For this you should get into some concepts like the Caged System, and the use of different elements like triads, double stops, extender chords, arrange your rhythms and to have a wider knowledge of your fret board.

What's your knowledge related to this?
Do you have any video of you playing rhythm?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
KenA
Jan 4 2016, 10:15 AM
Just fixing the broken link: Funk in Seven

ps. Very well addressed Gabriel: Fretboard Knowledge is also part of the game!

Besides the 'normal' rhythm type we're used to talk about, there's a more sutil kind of rhythm that I don't know how to call or define it which is the one that is intrinsic to when you're soloing or improvising, maybe we can call it 'the pocket' or 'groove'?
Frank Vignola shows it when he's improvising, it's really cool. Check he's old Vamps, Jams and Improv video.

Here's an example

But this is probably the next step.

This post has been edited by KenA: Jan 4 2016, 10:24 AM

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Lester
Jan 4 2016, 10:58 AM
Learning Roadie
I just thought about these lessons I bookmarked before:

It's not technique related, but mostly just to spice up your playing with some different chords.
Hope that's useful to you:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...d-power-chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...dvanced-chords/

Lester

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:42 PM