2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Headphones Vs Earbuds
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 30 2013, 12:53 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I see nowadays so many people wearing headphones when walking down the streets. Looks like it is "hip" thing to do today smile.gif

Are people finally getting bored with poor sound of earbuds? Maybe the are starting to miss THE BASS.
It is shocking how ipod earbuds sound thin and millions of people are listening music on them.

Can people really notice a difference between good recordings vs amazing recordings having all this in mind? (recording/mixing/mastering)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Aug 30 2013, 01:01 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 29 2013, 07:53 PM) *
I see nowadays so many people wearing headphones when walking down the streets. Looks like it is "hip" thing to do today smile.gif

Are people finally getting bored with poor sound of earbuds? Maybe the are starting to miss THE BASS.
It is shocking how ipod earbuds sound thin and millions of people are listening music on them.

Can people really notice a difference between good recordings vs amazing recordings having all this in mind? (recording/mixing/mastering)

Where I live it is the "hip" thing to do. Gotta have them Beat by Dre logo and your swag! laugh.gif

When I'm out of the house I use a pair of earbuds, when at home I use headphones. They both sound phenomenal to me. The ear buds seem a little more scooped in sound but not much. They actually have about the same bass response if you ask me. I still like my headphones better but then again they are meant for studio work and I've owned these things for I want to say 8 years. I'd be sad if I had to part with them. I actually use them for everything from, gaming, recording, playing, movies, ect.

Now if you get into cheaper what comes with the device vs aftermarket then yes the headphones will sound better due to the bigger housing for the bass driver.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 30 2013, 05:15 AM
In general, it's more about being "trendy" for many folks. (OF COURSE NOT PEOPLE HERE @ GMC!) Now that "Beats By Dre" are the headphone of the moment, wearing HUGE headphones is the cool thing to do smile.gif

Bigger cans can have better bass it's true. But folks are listening to MP3 files mostly which is a seriously compromised format to begin with. But at least people can hear some bass now smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 29 2013, 07:53 PM) *

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 30 2013, 09:16 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 29 2013, 11:53 PM) *

I think is just a stupid trend. The vast majority have the feeling that if you hear a very loud bass it means you have a perfect sound smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 30 2013, 04:15 AM) *
In general, it's more about being "trendy" for many folks. (OF COURSE NOT PEOPLE HERE @ GMC!) Now that "Beats By Dre" are the headphone of the moment, wearing HUGE headphones is the cool thing to do smile.gif

Bigger cans can have better bass it's true. But folks are listening to MP3 files mostly which is a seriously compromised format to begin with. But at least people can hear some bass now smile.gif

Todd

At my daily office work, I received a huge range of Monster products including headphones "Beats By Dre". After I listen 20 minutes music at that headphone, I can say that I will never made the same mistake. The bass was to loud for my confort and it was imposible to hear normal details in song. After 20 minutes I got just a headache and an unpleasant sensation in the ear sad.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 30 2013, 09:26 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 30 2013, 10:16 AM) *
The vast majority have the feeling that if you hear a very loud bass it means you have a perfect sound smile.gif

Yes - this is how all bass players think! laugh.gif
Honest truth smile.gif

Yeah - seems like a trend, but I wonder now if people will start walking with AKG-K141s around.
That would be something, they do look retro so that shouldn't be a fashion problem.

Maybe we just need a fancy name to slap on them, like "Monster Tones" or "Dr. Bad"....and everyone will start listening to music how it was recorded.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 30 2013, 10:50 AM
Instructor
Well, yesterday evening onstage, I had an amazing experience with my new in-ear monitors - I could hear the bass as well laugh.gif but my voice, the other instruments and the backing vocals were there and they were amazingly clear!! They have 3 drivers in each ear - that means 3 speakers - a great feature which allows great definition!

This is how my inner ear looks like:

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 30 2013, 10:51 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 30 2013, 10:56 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 30 2013, 08:26 AM) *
Yes - this is how all bass players think! laugh.gif
Honest truth smile.gif

Yeah - seems like a trend, but I wonder now if people will start walking with AKG-K141s around.
That would be something, they do look retro so that shouldn't be a fashion problem.

Maybe we just need a fancy name to slap on them, like "Monster Tones" or "Dr. Bad"....and everyone will start listening to music how it was recorded.

Ha,ha,ha.......cool fancy names " Monster Tones" and "Dr. Bad" biggrin.gif

I prefer the retro look with AKG"enius tone" and AKG"orgeus sound"

But this new trend with this BIG headphones from nowadays have a multiple advantages which we musicians don't see that:
1. Are so big that you can wear around the neck instead of a scarf
2. There are some headphones made with parts of the mirror so you can arrange your hair all the time
3. If someone swears you, no problem, you can't hear that because have cancelling noise ( of course also it's impossible to hear the cars horn when you walking on the street)

I can make a very big list but I don't wanna be bad, maybe there are people who like the loud sound distorted laugh.gif

+Quote Post
pdf64
Aug 31 2013, 12:30 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 30 2013, 10:50 AM) *
Well, yesterday evening onstage, I had an amazing experience with my new in-ear monitors - I could hear the bass as well ...

Yes, earbuds that seal against the ear canal can have a fantastic sound.
Also perfect for noisy environments, eg on a plane, on stage, because they block outside sound.
Example models of this type are Sennheiser CX300, Ultimate Ears Superfi4.
Pete

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 31 2013, 01:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Aug 30 2013, 11:30 PM) *
Yes, earbuds that seal against the ear canal can have a fantastic sound.
Also perfect for noisy environments, eg on a plane, on stage, because they block outside sound.
Example models of this type are Sennheiser CX300, Ultimate Ears Superfi4.
Pete

Indeed - my previous problem was due to the fact that the earbuds were standard and they kept falling off my ears because of the heavy movements I was always doing on stage. Not anymore - these molds are great!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 31 2013, 03:17 PM
Instructor
I prefer headphones sound at least compared to normal earbugs, there are some in ear that has an amazing quality. However I think that the reason why many people is using these ones is because it's a fashion now. The cooler your headphones look, the cooler you are!! tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 31 2013, 03:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 31 2013, 02:17 PM) *
I prefer headphones sound at least compared to normal earbugs, there are some in ear that has an amazing quality. However I think that the reason why many people is using these ones is because it's a fashion now. The cooler your headphones look, the cooler you are!! tongue.gif

I honestly do't care about the looks biggrin.gif The better the sound/control, the better the headphones

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 31 2013, 09:48 PM
I have a huge collection of JVC Earphones, most of them are JVC Marshmallow earphones in different colors laugh.gif I use as many kinds of output devices as I can for my mixes now. First I do the mix on my desktop's surround system with sub-woofer, then I take my in-ear JVC earphones, check and tweak it as needed on them, then while testing on my JVC earphones, I turn down the master volume of the mix to barely audible so I can hear which instrument is louder/quieter than others so I can raise the volume without clipping it.

After that I test it on my standard quality headphones. Then I test them on my JVC studio quality headphones (Yep I'm a JVC fan when it comes to audio devices laugh.gif even got my car's stereo by JVC tongue.gif). Same drill as with my earphones.

The last step is testing the mix in my car if I can smile.gif I throw it on a USB drive, stick it in the JVC stereo and listen to it, write down any adjustments if needed, and that's my circle biggrin.gif

PS: No JVC Advertisement intended tongue.gif cool.gif

EDIT: Also, if someone is interested, JVC Marshmallow earphones are very common here but many people still prefer cheaper stuff. One pair of JVC Marshmallow costs around $20 here. They're very good quality earphones and extremely durable. I'm a heavy music listener, whenever I'm on the bus or something, I'll have my earphones on my cellphone almost the whole time biggrin.gif One pair of my JVC earphones is still serving me after a year of extremely rough use smile.gif tugging and pulling and twisting and whatnot.

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Aug 31 2013, 09:55 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2013, 07:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 31 2013, 11:25 AM) *
I honestly do't care about the looks biggrin.gif The better the sound/control, the better the headphones

haha neither me, but I feel that this is the tendency nowadays.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2013, 11:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 1 2013, 06:41 PM) *
haha neither me, but I feel that this is the tendency nowadays.

Gabe my man, tell me, have you tried playing with in-ear monitors onstage, while playing the guitar as well?

+Quote Post
pdf64
Sep 2 2013, 11:41 PM
Cosmin - what brand are your IEMs?
Some people have a problem with the sound level changing when they swallow etc, I notice it sometimes when singing but mine aren't the custom molded type.
I've read an explanation that it may be due to pressure differences either side of the ear drum.
Have you noticed anything like that?
Pete

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 3 2013, 07:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Sep 2 2013, 10:41 PM) *
Cosmin - what brand are your IEMs?
Some people have a problem with the sound level changing when they swallow etc, I notice it sometimes when singing but mine aren't the custom molded type.
I've read an explanation that it may be due to pressure differences either side of the ear drum.
Have you noticed anything like that?
Pete

Hey Pete - I haven't encountered such issues, so far - I'm guessing that it's because I had to keep my mouth open, holding a little piece of polystiren so that the molds will come out right and stay as fixed as possible. The doctor also told me that the architecture of my inner ear is fit for such devices. The brand is called Ultimate Sound - it's a local manufacturer -> www.ultimatesound.ro You might not understand anything, as the site is in romanian, but why not, take a look smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 3 2013, 08:01 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 4 2013, 12:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
When on my (racing) bicycle I use my small ear buds thingies that go round the ear. But generally I wouldn't mind walking around with a larger set of headphones in public. THink I've done so before a couple of times.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 4 2013, 08:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 3 2013, 11:59 PM) *
When on my (racing) bicycle I use my small ear buds thingies that go round the ear. But generally I wouldn't mind walking around with a larger set of headphones in public. THink I've done so before a couple of times.

Come to think of it, I have never had headphones which were too big. I enjoy earbuds while on the street as they are easily folded and they fit my pocket. I hate carrying unnecessary stuff around and the bigger they are the more space they take smile.gif

+Quote Post
pdf64
Sep 4 2013, 10:10 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 4 2013, 08:16 AM) *
the brand is called Ultimate Sound - it's a local manufacturer -> www.ultimatesound.ro You might not understand anything, as the site is in romanian, but why not, take a look smile.gif

Thanks Cosmin. And thanks google translation! At least it was not in cyrillic characters.
Your IEMs use drivers and hardware designed / made in Denmark by Sonion www.sonion.com
That's a new name to me so the info was useful, as they will be supplying hardware to companies similar to Ultimate Sound worldwide.

I found this web article that gives some insight and useful info http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/in...-tips-trade-902
It may be worth trying the tip about heavily compressing the signal before it gets fed to the transmitter that links to your monitor pack.

And it mentions that the mold impressions should be taken with the mouth wide open, biting on something, as you describe.
Pete

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2013, 07:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Sep 4 2013, 09:10 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin. And thanks google translation! At least it was not in cyrillic characters.
Your IEMs use drivers and hardware designed / made in Denmark by Sonion www.sonion.com
That's a new name to me so the info was useful, as they will be supplying hardware to companies similar to Ultimate Sound worldwide.

I found this web article that gives some insight and useful info http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/in...-tips-trade-902
It may be worth trying the tip about heavily compressing the signal before it gets fed to the transmitter that links to your monitor pack.

And it mentions that the mold impressions should be taken with the mouth wide open, biting on something, as you describe.
Pete

Hehe, indeed - that's the brand behind the drivers - as the IEM manufacturer told me, but I forgot tongue.gif Anyway, thanks for the great article man. I can say that these IEMs have a pretty awesome bass frequency rendition - I am of course talking about things in comparison with my old Shure PSM 200 IEMs. Have you ever had experiences with IEMs and if yes, what have you used? Any pros and cons?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:32 AM