2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Protone Misha Pedal
Todd Simpson
Jun 5 2013, 09:26 AM
GMC:er
I just ordered a PRO TONE MISHA MANSOOR SIGNATURE OVERDRIVE and this thing costs $230!!!! I tried to avoid it but I saw that some were available again since some folks skipped out on paying. I watched the vid again and just had to have one. He uses it to boost his signal in front of his amp like most folks do smile.gif

The video recording doesn't actually sound that great since it's a video camera microhpone. I'll never understand why folks, especially hardware manufacturers, refuse to hook up a real mic. There's no excuse good enough. Our very own bearded wonder the FLUFF man, did a video that sounds killer using the pedal. So here's the good sounding beard vid and the poor sounding Misha vid.

QUESTION: Would you pay this much for one pedal?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 5 2013, 09:28 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 5 2013, 11:23 PM
Other than our own Fluff the Bearded Wonder!! I think I may be the only other guy on GMC willing to pay this for an overdrive. I may be just insane. I am looking forward to it though smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 5 2013, 04:26 AM) *
I just ordered a PRO TONE MISHA MANSOOR SIGNATURE OVERDRIVE and this thing costs $230!!!! I tried to avoid it but I saw that some were available again since some folks skipped out on paying. I watched the vid again and just had to have one. He uses it to boost his signal in front of his amp like most folks do smile.gif

The video recording doesn't actually sound that great since it's a video camera microhpone. I'll never understand why folks, especially hardware manufacturers, refuse to hook up a real mic. There's no excuse good enough. Our very own bearded wonder the FLUFF man, did a video that sounds killer using the pedal. So here's the good sounding beard vid and the poor sounding Misha vid.

QUESTION: Would you pay this much for one pedal?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 6 2013, 01:02 PM
Instructor
If it fits my needs and if I happen to have that money at that certain point in time, why not? In here we have a saying: 'Sometimes, we are too poor to afford to buy cheap things'. Most people will not understand the idea behind this, but, if you buy something which does not deliver the result you need and especially if it will affect your activity on a long term, you will only find yourself unable to deliver the things which are created with the aid of the thing you should've bought. Of course, if it's just a wish with no actual purpose in front of it, I see no real reason to pay that money smile.gif

I payed 200 bucks on the Suhr Shiba Drive and I am very happy, it was not at all a waste.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 6 2013, 03:29 PM
Instructor
I agree with Cosmin about this. However I'm not sure if these pedals are the best way to get that metalcore tones. I think that those tones can be gotten with real amps or at least Axe Ultra. At this time, I have never tried a distortion pedal that could win the battle against Mesa Boogie, Peavey or Soldano. I wonder what about this one...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Jun 6 2013, 04:56 PM
I really like Misha`s sound, that is why I want Bareknuckle Aftermath pickups for my 8 sting.

All I can really see the pedal doing is acting like a clean boost and I have pedals that can do this already and I think even better.

Most of the Djent sound is gain and eq with pickups. That Aftermath pickup has the fastest tightest bass response I`ve ever heard and was design by or for or based on Mishas sound I believe.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2013, 12:13 AM
This pedal isn't design for getting a metal tone, it's designed to go in front of an amp or axe fx smile.gif That's how misha uses it in the video. It's mostly for boost, but has some special features so it drives an amp in a very metal way smile.gif

In the video Misha gives the demo of the pedal in front of an amp to show how he uses it. I"m planning the same smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 6 2013, 10:29 AM) *
I agree with Cosmin about this. However I'm not sure if these pedals are the best way to get that metalcore tones. I think that those tones can be gotten with real amps or at least Axe Ultra. At this time, I have never tried a distortion pedal that could win the battle against Mesa Boogie, Peavey or Soldano. I wonder what about this one...

Pretty much, it's glorified tube screamer smile.gif As MISHA says in the vid, he just uses this to drive his tone before the amp. It's designed specifically to drive your amp/sim/etc. harder. Not to be used as a stand alone device. Your the second one to think this pedal is a stand alone tone box. I must not have been very clear in my post. The video explains but without watching the vid it's not very clear.

QUOTE (Britishampfan @ Jun 6 2013, 11:56 AM) *
I really like Misha`s sound, that is why I want Bareknuckle Aftermath pickups for my 8 sting.

All I can really see the pedal doing is acting like a clean boost and I have pedals that can do this already and I think even better.

Most of the Djent sound is gain and eq with pickups. That Aftermath pickup has the fastest tightest bass response I`ve ever heard and was design by or for or based on Mishas sound I believe.

I've tried three different tube screamer clones and didn't like any of them sadly for use as clean boost. The mid hump just seemed to wreck the tone I was going for but hey maybe it's just me wink.gif

This pedal seems like a Tube Screamer (to be used as clean boost mostly) build for Djent/Metal guys so I had to try it smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 6 2013, 08:02 AM) *
If it fits my needs and if I happen to have that money at that certain point in time, why not? In here we have a saying: 'Sometimes, we are too poor to afford to buy cheap things'. Most people will not understand the idea behind this, but, if you buy something which does not deliver the result you need and especially if it will affect your activity on a long term, you will only find yourself unable to deliver the things which are created with the aid of the thing you should've bought. Of course, if it's just a wish with no actual purpose in front of it, I see no real reason to pay that money smile.gif

I payed 200 bucks on the Suhr Shiba Drive and I am very happy, it was not at all a waste.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2013, 04:28 AM
It's actually designed just for him to use as a clean boost like he talks about in the vid. I don't think anyone watched the vid based on the replies. sad.gif

I"ve got 3 pedals that do clean boost. So far, none of them do it right. Thus, the crazy expenditure to try to find a pedal that does clean boost the way I want it to sound which is along the lines of what Misha is doing. It's ideal for Djenty Boost. Way better than even the Dead horse, which is way better than the Ibanez Screamer which was the best of the bunch IMHO. So we shall see smile.gif

As he demos in the vid, his sound without this pedal is "flabby" as he says himself. Pickups are crucial, and so is his amp/modeller, but without this pedal it's just not even close, when he turns it off, the sound sorta flubs.

So yeah, the pedal is as crucial a bit as the rest. No way around it. For standard rock, any boost will do. For the sound I"m trying to get in hardware that I can easily get in software, it's gonna take specialty gear. sad.gif

QUOTE (Britishampfan @ Jun 6 2013, 11:56 AM) *

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 7 2013, 06:59 AM
If it gets the tone you're looking for, 230 some odd dollars is really not a big deal (there are many way more expensive pedals out there).
How many cheaper ODs or boosts have you bought in search of ... ? Three? Seven? Twenty?
Four Boss DS-1s and/or the equivalent is about 200 bucks.
The personal tone quest is not an easy road or a short road (it's a fun road though). Buying a bunch of pedals may seem expensive but talk to a studio owner or mastering engineer and compare some prices on analog mic pres and compressors and EQs or 'real' monitors - now you're talking about some money.

I think that pro tone pedal is pretty cool. I like how it tightens up the low, low end w/out adding a ton of extra gain or really changing the amp/guitar tone.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 7 2013, 07:01 AM

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Jun 7 2013, 08:02 AM
The Ibanez tube screamer is not a clean boost, but anyway yeah going for a specific thing gets expensive.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 7 2013, 12:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 7 2013, 05:59 AM) *
If it gets the tone you're looking for, 230 some odd dollars is really not a big deal (there are many way more expensive pedals out there).
How many cheaper ODs or boosts have you bought in search of ... ? Three? Seven? Twenty?
The personal tone quest is not an easy road or a short road (it's a fun road though). Buying a bunch of pedals may seem expensive but talk to a studio owner or mastering engineer and compare some prices on analog mic pres and compressors and EQs or 'real' monitors - now you're talking about some money.

I think that pro tone pedal is pretty cool. I like how it tightens up the low, low end w/out adding a ton of extra gain or really changing the amp/guitar tone.

Talking about prices on monitors and such... I found out about the Barefoot MM27 today - about 9000 bucks a pair smile.gif

That is indeed expensive and the dude that bought them, was REALLY happy for being able to get a pair at ONLY 6000 dollars biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 7 2013, 03:23 PM
It's all relative.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 6 2013, 05:02 AM) *
here we have a saying: 'Sometimes, we are too poor to afford to buy cheap things'.

I live by that statement! Or, as my wife likes to simplify it ... 'you can pay now ... or you can pay later'.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 7 2013, 03:24 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2013, 08:50 PM
Of course not smile.gif It's an OVERDRIVE. But as you may have guessed, this entire thread is about using OD pedals as clean boost just like MISHA is doing in the video smile.gif

QUOTE (Britishampfan @ Jun 7 2013, 03:02 AM) *
The Ibanez tube screamer is not a clean boost, but anyway yeah going for a specific thing gets expensive.

Well, as I was saying earlier in the thread So far I've recently gotten hold of 4 different OD pedals that I"ve tried out. All would probably would fine in typical situations. So far, none are really what I"m looking for in terms of the overall sound.

The Misha pedal seems like it's purpose built to boost crazy gain settings without the mid hump associated with most boosts which is what's getting in the way on my 7 string. smile.gif

BIG SHOCKER UPDATE!!

I got in one piece of gear that finally does produce the tone I want. I"m actually using it as the preamp in my GSP1101 and bypassing the 1101 preamp entirely. Ready?...

OLD SKOOL!!!

Back in the day when Digitech still had "amp warping/Hypermodels" and used 4 DSP chips with decent head room. This thing screams like you can't believe. I don't even need to put a booster in front of it. Wow!! Found one in great shape. The quick making them years ago.

Attached Image

I"ve tried the DS-1 and it too is fine for what it does. Just not what I"m in search of. sad.gif And yeah a couple hundred bux is pennies in the grand scheme, but I"m not spending the grand schemes money smile.gif I have enjoyed trying all these pedals out head to head to see for myself what the actual differences are side by side. I'm planning to make a vid about it.

Even the PROTONE SPITFIRE which is a about as pricey as the misha (but I got it cheap off ebay) isn't quite there.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 7 2013, 01:59 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 7 2013, 08:50 PM

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 7 2013, 09:31 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I came close to ordering one of these but didn't have the money on hand and wasn't willing to borrow it. Let us know how it sounds!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 7 2013, 11:23 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 7 2013, 12:50 PM) *
Of course not smile.gif I

I"ve tried the DS-1 and it too is fine for what it does. Just not what I"m in search of.

Lol! I didn't actually mean a DS-1. Just a reference to very inexpensive pedals (they're probably the cheapest decent pedal out there at $39.00 at GC everyday). But if you end up buying 4 or 6 or 10 'cheap' pedals and never find what you're really looking for then it's time to sell all the cheap crap and get the one that you really want - whatever the price.

*For whatever reason guitar players tend to fall into two camps.
Group 1) only buys the cheapest gear possible and swears that it's 'just as good as X that costs a zillion dollars' and
Group 2) only buys the zillion dollar gear and refuses to admit that 'the guy on the street corner with the Squier Affinity Strat and Crate battery amp sounds better than he does'.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 7 2013, 11:25 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 8 2013, 10:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 7 2013, 02:23 PM) *
It's all relative.

I live by that statement! Or, as my wife likes to simplify it ... 'you can pay now ... or you can pay later'.

Words of wisdom from Mrs. Lasaine! I wrote it down in my file with good quotes! Thank you, Ken biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 8 2013, 04:56 PM
The Romanian version is much more poetic!
(and beautifully fatalistic)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 8 2013, 06:02 PM
Well said! smile.gif These overdrive pedals will greatly improve overal lead on on just about any rig, even a pod, or guitar rig.

I'm trying to get a tone closer to what I"ve been making in OVERLOUD which is pretty tough outside software. But I finally managed with the GNX3000. So far it's the only pedal (it's a multi unit really, but I"m using it like a preamp) that does the tric. I still have not gotten the MISHA but I"m going to try to add it to the chain smile.gif

The reason I'm trying so many options is partially to be able to talk about gear with students. I like trying new things and like being able to speak from experience when I get questions about gear. So I don't mind trying several smile.gif

I have to say there is a lot of truth in your "Two camps" statement smile.gif I am probably one of not that many (some here at GMC) who fall near the middle. I don't mind spending money on gear, I budget for it and plan on it. But my ears tend to tell me more than price tags do.

Todd
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 7 2013, 06:23 PM) *
Lol! I didn't actually mean a DS-1. Just a reference to very inexpensive pedals (they're probably the cheapest decent pedal out there at $39.00 at GC everyday). But if you end up buying 4 or 6 or 10 'cheap' pedals and never find what you're really looking for then it's time to sell all the cheap crap and get the one that you really want - whatever the price.

*For whatever reason guitar players tend to fall into two camps.
Group 1) only buys the cheapest gear possible and swears that it's 'just as good as X that costs a zillion dollars' and
Group 2) only buys the zillion dollar gear and refuses to admit that 'the guy on the street corner with the Squier Affinity Strat and Crate battery amp sounds better than he does'.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 8 2013, 09:47 PM
I was in the el cheapo camp for a long time ... until I realized I'd spent probably $1000.00 on distortion/OD pedals over the period of a few years and never really found what I was looking for. I still have several but I sold a bunch of them and bought a Landgraff Mo'D and haven't been interested in much since.

I definitely fall into the middle now.
The 'cheap' stuff I buy - such as Teisco guitars - serve a cheap purpose. They're supposed to sound old, funky and 'cheap'. A noisy and crappy fuzz is used to sound noisy and crappy. Those sounds absolutely fill a void. And not just in kitsch or retro type tracks for TV. When I do sessions I ALWAYS bring one horrible sounding electric, a 'kids' acoustic and nasty nasty fuzz and/or phaser. Usually when nothing else is getting the part one of these things will be just the ticket.
Same with 'toy' amps like this ... http://www.smokeyamps.com/products/smokey-...CFdFDMgodKhQAIQ
Put it in a metal bucket or a cardboard box ... or swing it around by the cable in the room.

Conversely, when I need a piece of gear that (IMO) sounds really good, fills a specific niche for me and will also have to withstand travel and me beating the crap out of it gig after gig ... I don't have a problem spending some money. I'm mostly thinking out loud about amplification. One of the real world benefits of a nice hand wired 1 or 2 ch. tube amp is the fact that it's easy to work on. You open it up and it's all right there. Find the bad part, pull it out and replace it. Try doing that (on the road) with a Kemper or Axe FX.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 8 2013, 11:28 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 11 2013, 08:45 PM
Will do smile.gif Can't wait to get it, but it may be a while, looks like about 2 month lag on orders.

Todd

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 7 2013, 04:31 PM) *
I came close to ordering one of these but didn't have the money on hand and wasn't willing to borrow it. Let us know how it sounds!

I hear ya wink.gif Tube Amps still have a TON of benefits. Great tone, volume, ease of repair, etc. Going "Non Tube" has it's bennies as well, so like most things it usually boils down to the buyer. The KEMPER/AXE FX folks usually have TWO UNITS in each rack so that when one goes down they just switch to the backup. Then again, lots of touring guys with tube heads use the same trick and double up on everything to prep for gear failure.

The handy thing about a tube head, especially if you have experience changing tubes, fixing bits etc., is that even if both units break, you may be able to find the bits to repair them at a music shop even on the road providing it's not to severe of breakage. Tubes died etc.

With an AXE/KEMPER, if both units go down for whatever reason, they are going to have to be sent back to be fixed. Of course, the odds of two axe or kemper units going down is pretty low, just as both heads going down is low, and why folks don't usually bring three of each smile.gif

I have noticed a trend of touring musicians. IT seems that now, to save money, bands on a tour will bring their own processors/heads, and share cabinets. It makes sense. If the bands all use Mesa/Orange or what not, or something similar, they can save shipping/gas/load in/ load out etc. costs by just sharing the cabinet and swapping out processors.

At the PROG POWER show, the same rigs were on stage all night and the same drum kit. All the bands appeared to be using the same gear. Then again, it's possible the amps were props and the real gear was back stage, but the drum kit never moved. Every drummer went up and used it.

Todd
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 8 2013, 04:47 PM) *
I was in the el cheapo camp for a long time ... until I realized I'd spent probably $1000.00 on distortion/OD pedals over the period of a few years and never really found what I was looking for. I still have several but I sold a bunch of them and bought a Landgraff Mo'D and haven't been interested in much since.

I definitely fall into the middle now.
The 'cheap' stuff I buy - such as Teisco guitars - serve a cheap purpose. They're supposed to sound old, funky and 'cheap'. A noisy and crappy fuzz is used to sound noisy and crappy. Those sounds absolutely fill a void. And not just in kitsch or retro type tracks for TV. When I do sessions I ALWAYS bring one horrible sounding electric, a 'kids' acoustic and nasty nasty fuzz and/or phaser. Usually when nothing else is getting the part one of these things will be just the ticket.
Same with 'toy' amps like this ... http://www.smokeyamps.com/products/smokey-...CFdFDMgodKhQAIQ
Put it in a metal bucket or a cardboard box ... or swing it around by the cable in the room.

Conversely, when I need a piece of gear that (IMO) sounds really good, fills a specific niche for me and will also have to withstand travel and me beating the crap out of it gig after gig ... I don't have a problem spending some money. I'm mostly thinking out loud about amplification. One of the real world benefits of a nice hand wired 1 or 2 ch. tube amp is the fact that it's easy to work on. You open it up and it's all right there. Find the bad part, pull it out and replace it. Try doing that (on the road) with a Kemper or Axe FX.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 12 2013, 12:24 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 11 2013, 12:45 PM) *
lots of touring guys with tube heads use the same trick and double up on everything to prep for gear failure.

Very true. I have a Crate Solid State ohmy.gif head that travels with me as my back up.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:04 AM