What Kind Of Amp Should I Get?, Pod x3 live, good?
Hans-Erik
Apr 29 2008, 08:44 PM
GMC:er
So, i got me a new guitar recently, a pretty expensive one. And now i want an amp of some sort, that compares to the quality of the guitar (my behringer pod does not sound very good).

I want to be able to achieve different sounds because i play several playstyles

Ive been lookin at the Line6's Pod X3 Live. Ive seen folks with it here, and i would like some opinions. Can i hook it up with a cabinet, a monitor speaker or whatever, to get the same "effect" as a standard combo amp? Because im tired of always being forced to use headphones, or my crappy computer speakers. (But i really need headphone jack tho, cant always play loud)
I really like the possibility to record to the computer, and the ability to have so many sounds in one unit.
But how does it sound compare to real amps? (1000$~)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ESP Horizon FR
Behringer V-amp2
LIne6 Toneport UX2
Marshall Valvestate 8040 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Marcus Siepen
Apr 29 2008, 08:55 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
To use it at home a pod is for sure not a bad choice, it is easy to use and offers many different sounds, and of course you can play it at any volume, so the neighbours won't kill you wink.gif I would never use something like this live though, or for serious album recordings, it is ok for some effects, but a real amp will always blow away those modeling amps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Chief Brody
Apr 30 2008, 06:43 AM
If, like me, you're playing pretty much for yourself and not doing any "live" stuff a PODX3 is fantastic.

Hell, i think it's fantastic no matter what because issues over digital modelling of amps aside, there's no other way i would have access to the sheer range of amps/tones/effects that i do now that i have one.

Plus the versatility is off the charts.

The other day i routed my PRS through the PODX3 into my Fender Blues Jr and the tone that came out was 'effin incredible (i write down any combinations and settings whenever i happen upon a "Super Tone" so that i'll always have it in my arsenal).

I think it's the kinda product that given your situation you'd be glad to have.

At the very least you'll have the versatility you desire and whilst they are only "Modelled" amps, they still sound great and will help give you ideas as to what to get when you decide that you want the real thing.

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 30 2008, 10:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Apr 29 2008, 09:55 PM) *
To use it at home a pod is for sure not a bad choice, it is easy to use and offers many different sounds, and of course you can play it at any volume, so the neighbours won't kill you wink.gif I would never use something like this live though, or for serious album recordings, it is ok for some effects, but a real amp will always blow away those modeling amps.

+100...Marcus is right...and he is a pro musicians...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 30 2008, 10:34 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
You can do pretty much whatever you want with the X3 live and hook it up anywhere. I even used it to jump start my car when it ran out of battery laugh.gif Anywhere withing reason, like a hi-fi system, PA, a guitar/keyboard/-amplifier

I havn't tried it live at rehearsal or gig and I don't think I ever will, unless it's a joint where I can't fit my half stack and I just don't care.
For recording I think it's instant excellent quality and less fuzz miking etc like you would a tube amp.

For the same price you could get the Tiny Terror and a 1x12 cabinet or that Blackheart head + cab and you'd be sitting on less flexibility bit real tube sound. Then you'd need a sound interface to go with that to mike it if you want to record and no headphones.

To complicate things futher what you could build is a closed soundproof box to keep the 1x12 inside and take the headphones from the sound interface. Surely some sound would leak out, like where the cords run in/out from the box.
Like this, you have your pro guitar recording gear with tube amp, mike, closed box biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 30 2008, 10:43 AM
Instructor
I would say for home use POD is enough. For live it isn't. So no matter how expensive your guitar is, the sound will be always way better with pro amps for ~1000$.

With POD, it is like you're trying to strech a small resolution picture and make a poster out of it. It will be big, but blurred and smudged. But if you make a smaller picture it will be just fine

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 30 2008, 10:44 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 10 2008, 06:15 AM
!

This post has been edited by FrankW: May 11 2008, 03:29 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:15 PM