Tips For My First Studio Session?
manuh
Oct 13 2011, 10:57 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey mates, at the end of november we're going to record one song of our band in a professional studio.

its the first time that i would be in a studio wink.gif
do you have any advices for us?

ah wow, im happy biggrin.gif i think it would be a great experience

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
check out my new band: Trip To New York
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2011, 11:10 AM
Instructor
Hey Manuh! I am entangled in two recording sessions as we speak (not in this very moment but in this particular period of time) so, to make things really quaint, here's what i have learned over the years:

1) Understand, learn and interpret your parts GODLY - DO NOT look at 2 notes like they are just two notes - they will give you most of the trouble, because usually simple things are the most difficult to play - why? Because there's no flashy things to help you out! You WILL have to interpret them in a very careful way so that they won't sound ordinary.

2) Prepare your gear - new strings 2 days before the recording/ know what you want from your sound - tones and the effects added!

3) Focus on the matter at hand - keep your mind there so you won't waste 4 hours on a lick - it saves time, nerves and money!

4) Be conscious of what the other guys are playing - pre-production is essential! Otherwise, you may find out that the bass is playing something different than you knew. Things cannot be dealt with only in the rehearsal room, because everyone is caught up in the heat of the moment and neither can just walk out of their shoes and listen from the outside, like you would listen to a recording. Record your rehearsals and make sure that there is no mistake in the songs - rhythmic or harmony/ melody wise.

Hope I didn't scare you tongue.gif but if you wanna do it right, prepare correspondingly wink.gif and record the session so we can see too biggrin.gif

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
manuh
Oct 13 2011, 05:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Cosmin smile.gif

Nice suggestions.. i hope it would be a good day .
i think we're recording the song in the next days by ourselves to check out if everything is fine
see you in the chat tonight smile.gif

This post has been edited by manuh: Oct 13 2011, 05:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2011, 06:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (manuh @ Oct 13 2011, 04:56 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin smile.gif

Nice suggestions.. i hope it would be a good day .
i think we're recording the song in the next days by ourselves to check out if everything is fine
see you in the chat tonight smile.gif

Very good Manuh! Best of luck to you and your fellows mate! See you tonite!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 17 2011, 09:09 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
The main thing is act professionally. From an engineer's perspective...

What we like:

1/ Musicians who turn up on time and sober and ask if they can drink, eat and smoke in the studio (perferably you shouldn't).
2/ Who are polite and can follow instructions/advice.
3/ Who don't try to teach you your job: if you're not sure if the mix is what you want don't say, 'Man you suck the bass is garbage.' Instead say something like, 'I'm not sure if that's the sound we're after for the bass. We were after something more like...'
4/ Who don't mess with the desk, outboard etc that we've spent time setting up properly.
5/ Who are quiet whilst you're trying to critically listen to a recording.
6/ Who make sure that all their equipment, including cables, are working properly and who have spares.
7/ Who make sure that their instrument is in good condition, tuned properly and can stay in tune and who also know how to set it up.
8/ Who have rehersed their part fully both as an individual and as a band and can play to a click track/sub mix as necessary.
9/ Who pay the agreed rate promptly.
10/ Who if they don't like something say so but politely (see 3).

All pretty obvious IMHO smile.gif but it's shocking how often we get people who don't do the above.

BTW and a little OT - I always find it sad that people expect us to treat their guitars, amps, etc with care but who then treat our kit poorly. Can't find somewhere to put out your cigarette? Yes of course you can stub it out on our £250k SSL mixing desk. Is it ok to spill coffee down the back of the hardware rack? Sure we're were about to replace all the £5k EQs anyway. Ok if I unplug and use this electric point to charge my phone? Sure it's a good way to check the UPS to the pc. Want to test that the fragile ribbon mic is working? Sure bang it a few times and say One, Two. I kid you not I've seen this happen.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
manuh
Oct 17 2011, 09:50 AM
Learning Roadie
crazy! biggrin.gif

but thanks for the tips. its a good idea to think about the engineer's perspective. it helps me a lot.
i hope we record the song in 10 hours. cause it costs 250€ per day smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blister
Oct 17 2011, 11:15 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Many congrats, Manuh! smile.gif I can't wait to hear how it goes.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 17 2011, 04:09 AM) *
BTW and a little OT - I always find it sad that people expect us to treat their guitars, amps, etc with care but who then treat our kit poorly. Can't find somewhere to put out your cigarette? Yes of course you can stub it out on our £250k SSL mixing desk. Is it ok to spill coffee down the back of the hardware rack? Sure we're were about to replace all the £5k EQs anyway. Ok if I unplug and use this electric point to charge my phone? Sure it's a good way to check the UPS to the pc. Want to test that the fragile ribbon mic is working? Sure bang it a few times and say One, Two. I kid you not I've seen this happen.

Tony, sadly I am laughing at this but it's a shame how true this must be. I bet you could go on for hours on this topic.

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 17 2011, 12:52 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 17 2011, 09:09 AM) *

What we like:

1/ Musicians who turn up on time and sober and ask if they can drink, eat and smoke in the studio (perferably you shouldn't).
3/ Who don't try to teach you your job: if you're not sure if the mix is what you want don't say, 'Man you suck the bass is garbage.' Instead say something like, 'I'm not sure if that's the sound we're after for the bass. We were after something more like...'
4/ Who don't mess with the desk, outboard etc that we've spent time setting up properly.
6/ Who make sure that all their equipment, including cables, are working properly and who have spares.
7/ Who make sure that their instrument is in good condition, tuned properly and can stay in tune and who also know how to set it up.
8/ Who have rehersed their part fully both as an individual and as a band and can play to a click track/sub mix as necessary.

All pretty obvious IMHO smile.gif but it's shocking how often we get people who don't do the above.

Great advice Tony!
Especially that last part!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 17 2011, 04:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 17 2011, 03:09 AM) *

What we like:

You are the man tony! in my studio it would:
It's ok to spill your coffee on the $250 audio interface biggrin.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 17 2011, 06:42 PM
Instructor
Heheh,cool point of view Tony wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sickz666
Oct 17 2011, 06:50 PM
GMC:er
Most important i think that i realised my old bands guitarist dident think of when we went in a studio to do a demo.

Know the song. laugh.gif

Inside out. Backwards and forwards. Otherwise you'll spend alot of extra time in there. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 17 2011, 06:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sickz666 @ Oct 17 2011, 12:50 PM) *
Most important i think that i realised my old bands guitarist dident think of when we went in a studio to do a demo.

Know the song. laugh.gif

Inside out. Backwards and forwards. Otherwise you'll spend alot of extra time in there. tongue.gif

Oh yeah, besides that you need to know the tuning, scales, key, and be prepared to improvise!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 19 2011, 10:20 PM
Instructor
This is great advice Tony! and Cosmin!

Yeah, learning the parts upside down helps a lot.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:06 PM