Why Does This Music Still Get Views?
Todd Simpson
Nov 30 2020, 11:19 PM
GMC:er
I subscribe to Guitar Player 331Erock on youtube who does all of these “Meets Metal” covers. Some are downright cornball. Yet, the guy has 1.5 MILLION subscribers and I find myself watching his vids and bobbing my head. He makes covers of everything from ANIME tunes to POP songs and GAME music and everything in between. This guy is a bit controversial. When he was coming up, doing MARIO KART MEETS METAL and that kind of thing, one of our own GMC instructors was so disgusted by the amount of attention something apparently as a Metal remake of Mario Cart was getting, he declared he was simply done. At this time, I sorta understood his thinking. Way back then, it seemed like this was just tacky. Taking something already pretty corny and then hopping on top of the track with a distorted guitar seemed to lack creativity. It seemed like “coat tailing”.

Here is 331Erocks Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtJVZjY6xsZUV-sYdcIFpZw

However, years later, I’m still subscribed to this guy. I still watch his videos where he plays distorted guitar over top of various cheeseball songs. Recently, he even got OLA ENGLUND to play a guest solo. Of course, Ola loves cheeseball stuff. He’s playing his Solar, wearing an ABBA shirt. Doing a guest spot on a Metal version of a song that was cheesy even when released and decades later it’s still cheese but I yet again found myself tapping my foot and bobbing my head while these two METAL guys played on top of “WHAT A FEELING” from the 80s Movie “FLASHDANCE”. Yup. That movie, and yup, that song.

I’ve noticed lately on youtube that there are a plethora, yes a veritable cornucopia of youtubers making Rock/Metal versions of light pop songs from the 80’s. There are more Metal versions of AHA’s “TAKE ON ME” than you can shake a stick at. There are Metal versions of Tears For Fears, Depeche Mode, etc. It’s Endless. Songs that were huge hits back in the day and that now live on with folks doing Metal versions.

I”m guilty of this myself. I recently played guest guitars on a release called “PIECES” by a band known as ANTI-M. It had several 80’s tunes that I was thrilled to play Metal Solos for, including the hit “VOICES CARRY” by TIL TUESDAY.

So why do this songs refuse to die? They are just very very catchy songs. Whether done with cheesy synths, or Metal Guitars, these songs still get played. Decades after the Decadent Decade of the 80’s. While it’s true there are wads of covers of every decade worth of songs. The 80s seems to have a gravity that pulls in even national/global touring acts. To wit, WEEZER recently did their own cover of “TAKE ON ME”.

In short, there is just not escaping this music. While I initially resisted this sort of thing. I have since come to really enjoy it. Evidently I’m not alone as this sort of thing does seem to generate massive amounts of cover versions, alternate versions, stylized versions, etc. I do hope you guys enjoy these links. Please do share if you have a fave in the same genre.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 30 2020, 11:20 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 1 2020, 04:18 AM
Instructor
Not metal but 80's... this medley is fantastic.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Dec 1 2020, 04:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
Pop songs are easy to listen (basic chord progressions, catchy lyrics etc)

They are called pop for a reason; they are popular.

I think all those Lady Gaga's metal covers were done to attract the pop-fans which let's be honest, are waay more than the metal fans.

As for why they choose 80s covers the answer is probably because that's the age when all those youtubers were teenagers and were listening to these.

Future youtubers will cover 00s pop songs since those are the songs they grew up with.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 2 2020, 04:09 PM
Learning Roadie
My Favourite person for this type of thing is Charlie Parra

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 2 2020, 04:14 PM
Im subscribed to him on youtube, great player! Here he is with an entire orchestra!

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 2 2020, 11:09 AM) *
My Favourite person for this type of thing is Charlie Parra

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 2 2020, 04:16 PM
Instructor
I assume that you know this one:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2020, 12:31 AM
Classic!! It's truly impressive to see how great some of these covers are!!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 2 2020, 11:16 AM) *
I assume that you know this one:

It's true that this is pure nostalgia for folks who grew up during the 80s. However, that's not adequate to explain the tons of folks who view these covers on repeat and put them in playlists despite the fact that many of them were not born until decades later. I've drilled down on the comments on several of these with lots of views and most of the viewers are younger folks. Why are they watching these vids of songs made before they were born? I don't think it's nostalgia. I really do think it's that some of these songs are just timeless. In future decades they will be redone in whatever the style of the day is wink.gif
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Dec 1 2020, 11:24 AM) *
Pop songs are easy to listen (basic chord progressions, catchy lyrics etc)

They are called pop for a reason; they are popular.

I think all those Lady Gaga's metal covers were done to attract the pop-fans which let's be honest, are waay more than the metal fans.

As for why they choose 80s covers the answer is probably because that's the age when all those youtubers were teenagers and were listening to these.

Future youtubers will cover 00s pop songs since those are the songs they grew up with.

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Dec 4 2020, 11:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 3 2020, 11:31 PM) *
It's true that this is pure nostalgia for folks who grew up during the 80s. However, that's not adequate to explain the tons of folks who view these covers on repeat and put them in playlists despite the fact that many of them were not born until decades later. I've drilled down on the comments on several of these with lots of views and most of the viewers are younger folks. Why are they watching these vids of songs made before they were born? I don't think it's nostalgia. I really do think it's that some of these songs are just timeless. In future decades they will be redone in whatever the style of the day is wink.gif

Yeah I totally agree on those songs being timeless but I was trying to avoid saying that my generation's music is way better than the newer one's hehe

I think the same thing happens in jazz; most of the covers I heard were songs from the 30s - 50s, but it might be a coincidence.

Is there someone who is more into jazz music who can tell us if this is true?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2020, 06:49 PM
WELL SAID!!! That's something to avoid for sure. I also hate being the guy that says " I LIKE THEIR OLDER STUFF" with any band. It's just lame sounding as a statement. Good question about Jazz! Maybe KEN can help?

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Dec 4 2020, 06:30 AM) *
Yeah I totally agree on those songs being timeless but I was trying to avoid saying that my generation's music is way better than the newer one's hehe

I think the same thing happens in jazz; most of the covers I heard were songs from the 30s - 50s, but it might be a coincidence.

Is there someone who is more into jazz music who can tell us if this is true?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:21 AM