Quistion: Fingerpicking Or A Fret?
Adaman
Aug 10 2007, 02:55 PM
GMC:er
Hi there GMC.
When i started playing an e-guitar I started pkicking with my fingers because im used to playing a classic guitar.
The problem is that 2 years later(which is now) im still fingerpicking. I just dont get along with frets.
I just wanted to know if that's okay,because in my opinion i get a pretty good sound and speed with my fingers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 10 2007, 02:59 PM
Instructor
Fingerpicking is really cool and many players use same techniques on electric guitar.
Truth is,you cannot play everything with your fingers as you'd with the pick so I't just a question for you.
What do you want to play,what is your goal etc. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 10 2007, 03:37 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 10 2007, 09:59 AM) *
Fingerpicking is really cool and many players use same techniques on electric guitar.
Truth is,you cannot play everything with your fingers as you'd with the pick so I't just a question for you.
What do you want to play,what is your goal etc. smile.gif

Hi there - I have a very similar experience to you in this area. I learned on classical, and put those techniques to work on the electric. For many years I played blues and some funky stuff - for that the fingers worked great. I did learn to use a pick but until recemtly I could play anything using both techniques.

What finally made me change was wanting to learn some of the more advanced techniques like fast alt picking and sweeps - you just can't do them the same with fingers. Also, a pick will give you a far more precise tone. When I came to GMC I spent some time looking at my picking and changed the way I helpd the pick and used it - now I couldn't go back to the old way plus, I can play so much more than I could with just my fingers.

So, its up to you - if you are happy playing blues and slower more feely stuff, fingers will cut it, but you are locking yourself out from some of the more advanced techniques.

Im very glad I made the change.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
AudunESP
Aug 10 2007, 04:16 PM
QUOTE (Adaman @ Aug 10 2007, 03:55 PM) *
Hi there GMC.
When i started playing an e-guitar I started pkicking with my fingers because im used to playing a classic guitar.
The problem is that 2 years later(which is now) im still fingerpicking. I just dont get along with frets.
I just wanted to know if that's okay,because in my opinion i get a pretty good sound and speed with my fingers.

Well, a cool fact is that Mark Knopfler used fingerpicking for playing his licks, it makes a slightly different sound than picking with pick, and its something that made knopfler famous. If you like picking with fingers i totaly suport you to do that, keep on rocking! smile.gif

This post has been edited by AudunESP: Aug 10 2007, 07:27 PM

--------------------
Scales = some boring stuff thats totally unnescesary to create cool music, liek, if ur stupid.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 10 2007, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Totally agree smile.gif

Do what you like and don't turn back cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Iluha
Aug 10 2007, 04:31 PM
Why choose between them when you can learn and use them both wink.gif .

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 10 2007, 04:39 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Just to add - I didn't make a total switch as my post implied - I am a better playing for having both techniques, and sometimes use fingerpicking entirely for Jazzy chord progressions and such. I have however switched to using a pick almost exclusively for lead, with the exception of octave lead licks that sound great with a thumb.

As others have said, listen to all of our experiences then pick what suits you best!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 10 2007, 04:48 PM
Instructor
Learning both is probably best way,I just wanted to say...don't leave your finger picking behind biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Adaman
Aug 10 2007, 07:08 PM
Tnx a lot. i think il stick the the fingerpicking in the meanwhile,since im mostly playing blus. il try to switch to a fret when i advance some more.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 12 2007, 01:01 AM
Instructor
Thumbs up,wish you luck!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:09 AM