Recording Acoustic Guitar
Im here to succe...
Dec 7 2013, 02:23 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on recording an acoustic guitar and replicating the sound in the mp3 file attached.
It is a friends band from years ago, he just says it was close mic'd.. but obviously it was how it was eq'd etc...
So can you guys offer any advice to pick up that strumming sound -
I have a Rode NT-1 Mic & Zoom R16 and i then import into cubase... so if you could tell me about the microphone placement and some basic EQ-ing that would get me that sound or close to that sound...
thanks

its also as though you can't hear the sound of the chords that the guitarist is playing, like 80% strumming and 20% the chords he's playing

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Im here to succeed: Dec 7 2013, 02:25 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  defend_me_CD.mp3 ( 3.96MB ) Number of downloads: 119

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 7 2013, 03:58 PM
Instructor
The audio sounds really nice as well as the song. Is it a cover? Do they have more songs as a band?

You have a very good mic mate, now it's just time to experiment with its position in front of the guitar. There are lots of possibilities and the EQ can vary a lot just moving the mic, as well as the balance between fret noises, pick strumming and guitar sound. My suggestion is that you try to get the sound that you are looking for just with the mic position and then just do small EQ corrections to it (like quitting low frequencies, below 100 hz, quit any mid frequency that you don't like agound 800 hz / 1200 hs) and increase the highs a bit.

Here you will find a good article by Cakewalk: http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013311

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Dec 7 2013, 08:54 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 7 2013, 02:58 PM) *
The audio sounds really nice as well as the song. Is it a cover? Do they have more songs as a band?

You have a very good mic mate, now it's just time to experiment with its position in front of the guitar. There are lots of possibilities and the EQ can vary a lot just moving the mic, as well as the balance between fret noises, pick strumming and guitar sound. My suggestion is that you try to get the sound that you are looking for just with the mic position and then just do small EQ corrections to it (like quitting low frequencies, below 100 hz, quit any mid frequency that you don't like agound 800 hz / 1200 hs) and increase the highs a bit.

Here you will find a good article by Cakewalk: http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013311

Hi Gab, it's an original, they were signed in the 90's to EMI but got dropped unfortunately..
here is the link to to their first and last album they recorded haha - http://laundryroomstudio.com/gb.html
and thanks for the advice, i will experiment and see what i can come up with..

This post has been edited by Im here to succeed: Dec 7 2013, 08:56 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 8 2013, 05:12 PM
Tony Miro could tell you best. Maybe 'personal message' him.

In my experience that 'sound' is gotten by using two condensor mics. (Dynamics will get you close in lieu of)
1) pointed at about the 12th fret and about 20 or 30 cm away.
2) pointed between the sound hole and the lower bout slightly angled towards the sound hole. Again, about 20 to 30 cm away.

You're hearing a ton of dry pick sound so you don't want a lot of room sound or effects (verb or delay - a little is cool).

Compression - yes. It'll help accentuate the 'click' of the pick on the strings.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Dec 8 2013, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:53 PM