Could Focusing On Playing Actually Be A Cure For Gas?, anybody else had this happen?
lcsdds
Mar 31 2009, 06:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
So I have been at GMC now for 7 months. In that time I have gone from being pretty focused on guitar to being very focused on guitar. One thing that I have noticed in that time is that I don't get GAS (Gear Acquisition Sydrome) like I used to. I used to ALWAYS be focused on what the next piece of gear I needed was. Now I seem to just want to practice and improve. Do you guys think that focusing on actually playing your guitar instead of focusing on the next piece of equipment that will make you better is a cure for GAS? I'm starting to think it might be. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 31 2009, 06:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think i'm getting worse not better blink.gif but i think i made some bad choices that just need rectifying, if anything its taught me that gear isnt everything, but bad gear is worse than nothing!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Mihaljevic
Mar 31 2009, 07:13 PM
GMC:er
I'm focused on playing, but I'm still constantly gassing for something rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Visit my website - www.ivanmihaljevic.com
my MySpace - www.myspace.com/ivanmihaljevic
And if you want to buy my CD - www.cdbaby.com/cd/ivanmihaljevic

+Quote Post
Artemus
Mar 31 2009, 07:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Well - not for me really - I still don't have an amp!!!

..and I'm in a band!!?! Shame on me...

This post has been edited by Artemus: Mar 31 2009, 09:03 PM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Koopid
Mar 31 2009, 08:40 PM
Learning Roadie
No......

Atleast not for me smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 31 2009, 08:47 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Considering how much gear I would need, I just don't have the head to think about all of it. Instead I focus on playing:D

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
Mar 31 2009, 08:49 PM
I think the better you are getting, the better equipment you want. But that is just what I think smile.gif

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Mar 31 2009, 09:04 PM
I had a horrible case of GAS for the past 5 years or so with recording and production equipment. That was when I was a bit younger and the money I earned from pat time jobs could just be spent carelessly, now that I have actual bills to pay on my own, I've gotten a bit better.
I started a separate savings account for a new guitar just a month ago, where I put about $10 a week into it when I get my paycheck. My thinking behind this was that I will let this go for about a year, to a year and a half before I think of looking at new guitars. This gives me time to practice and get better. If I don't notice myself improving a lot within the next year and a half, I won't spend my money on a guitar laugh.gif
Besides strings, and I do need to get a new metronome, I'm not spending anymore money of gear, I'm too broke biggrin.gif

So yes, I guess focusing on actually playing seems to be curing my GAS..... temporarily haha

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 31 2009, 09:16 PM
I have bad GAS. I'm sure it's something to do with my Diet and could be quickly sorted!!!! biggrin.gif

Seriously though, my latest acquisitions are in the Recording Area. When I was on the Road playing years back I used to own 19 of the same model Dean Guitar (in varying Colours). I think I was suffering GAS in a big way back then!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 31 2009, 09:31 PM
GMC Founder
One word: YES!

I think that when you understand what difference to your tone practicing does - you realise that time/money is better spent on practicing!

Personally I am not very interested in gear - I just want things to work...

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 31 2009, 09:36 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 31 2009, 09:31 PM) *

I think that when you understand what difference to your tone practicing does - you realise that time/money is better spent on practicing!

I have become the same way. I am finding that if I want to sound better then the only to do that is to practice. When I see I am improving then I realize a new guitar isn't the reason....it's the hard work. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kjutte
Mar 31 2009, 09:58 PM
I think that when you are guru, gear doesn't matter alot, but to grow motivation to become guru, you need to be satisfied with your gear.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 31 2009, 10:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 31 2009, 10:31 PM) *

+1 !

I have exact same opinion as Kristofer here.

I would rather focus on practicing and improving then saving money for new amp that some magazine or website recommends me to use.

Just think about what we had 20-30 years ago ? Did we have great players then and good sound ? In my opinion, yes. What has changed since then ?
Massive boost of shred guitar players and new equipment coming out like some TV shows smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Mar 31 2009, 10:06 PM
Nothing can hide bad playing, not even the best gear in the world.
However, a good player should be looking for quality (not always the most expensive is the best) which adds to the sound he wants, making his music sound better.

Our band´s practicing room had already got amps and a drumkit in it, and when I first saw that amp, I was like ´wow, I gotta get me one of those!´. In my eyes, it had every effect you´d need. Now, a few weeks later, I don´t even use the effects anymore because I got bored of it. I just go for a clean tone, good tone, and occasionally some distortion.

Since I´m on GMC, I´ve been more satisfied on the tone my own amp gives me, since I know exactly how to get which sound. And I know now, that the amp can´t be blamed on bad playing, only me.

So thanks, GMC, for making me realize that and save alot of money !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Axamentia666
Mar 31 2009, 10:07 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 31 2009, 10:02 PM) *
+1 !

I have exact same opinion as Kristofer here.

I would rather focus on practicing and improving then saving money for new amp that some magazine or website recommends me to use.

Just think about what we had 20-30 years ago ? Did we have great players then and good sound ? In my opinion, yes. What has changed since then ?
Massive boost of shred guitar players and new equipment coming out like some TV shows smile.gif

I had "classical gas" for a while (cant believe no-one went for the pun tongue.gif) , i found my gas isnt as bad once i found the right setup, now i just wanna play all the time...

--------------------
I spoke therefore i twang..

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 31 2009, 10:08 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (kjutte @ Mar 31 2009, 10:58 PM) *
I think that when you are guru, gear doesn't matter alot, but to grow motivation to become guru, you need to be satisfied with your gear.

True! My recommendation for this phase would be to go for something "mainstream"/versatile/cheap like a pod/guitarport and an ibanez RG/mexican strat. That way you can spend your energy on practicing, once those initial purchases are done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 31 2009, 10:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
All I know is that I used to order a guitar or a piece of gear and before it would even arrive I would be looking on ebay for the next thing I "needed" to sound/play better. I have about 3-4 guitars in various stages of being built that I don't even want to put together because if it takes me an hour to do then that is an hour I could work on a collab or my technique etc. The only thing I have bought in the last 6-7 months is recording stuff. I just seem to want to spend every free second improving now where before I was always looking for the next great deal or cool guitar that I "needed". tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:57 PM