Speed Picking, Pick inclination
Jake37
Jun 21 2009, 10:47 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys! smile.gif

I'd like to know your opinion on one thing about speed picking...
On the video 101 of Chris Dahl about Speed picking, he talks about the inclination of the pick on the string.
That depending on the inclination you can pick faster...

I'd like to know your opinions on that. Do you keep your pick parallel to your strings for speed picking or do you give it some inclination?

Caus I've got to increase my speed (like many guitarists want...) and of course it is a hard work. So if I could make it slightly easier....

Tks a lot!

Cheers!

Jake dry.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
ZakkWylde
Jun 21 2009, 11:07 PM
Learning Tone Master
A slight angle makes it easier but the tone suffers from the scraping pick, try to find an ideal angle were picking is easy and the sound is still good

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
berko
Jun 21 2009, 11:24 PM
It also depends on how sharp the pick is. If it's "sharp" (like a Jazz III) the tone will be much more articulated even when holding the pick in an angle. String thickness is another issue. However, a little bit of angling always helps but be careful not to just rub the pick against the string tongue.gif smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jun 22 2009, 01:29 AM
Instructor
I think it depends on the type of sound you like more than the speed picking technique. For example, Paul Gilbert has a very wide pick angle to play fast runs and combined with alternate picking that sounds like a chopper, really agressive. If you don't want that kind of sound maybe a narrower pick angle is better.
Also is true that maybe a parallel pick towards the string is not adviced because the natural position of the hand regarding the strings or the guitar body. So between those possibilities I think you should try them to see what's more confortable and the sound you like.

I hope this helps biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 22 2009, 03:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Jun 22 2009, 02:29 AM) *
I think it depends on the type of sound you like more than the speed picking technique. For example, Paul Gilbert has a very wide pick angle to play fast runs and combined with alternate picking that sounds like a chopper, really agressive. If you don't want that kind of sound maybe a narrower pick angle is better.
Also is true that maybe a parallel pick towards the string is not adviced because the natural position of the hand regarding the strings or the guitar body. So between those possibilities I think you should try them to see what's more confortable and the sound you like.

I hope this helps biggrin.gif

Great explanation Ramiro, nothing more to add here, I agree 100% smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jun 22 2009, 09:14 AM
A small amount of pick inclination works best for me ...

QUOTE (Jake37 @ Jun 21 2009, 10:47 PM) *
Hi guys! smile.gif

I'd like to know your opinion on one thing about speed picking...
On the video 101 of Chris Dahl about Speed picking, he talks about the inclination of the pick on the string.
That depending on the inclination you can pick faster...

I'd like to know your opinions on that. Do you keep your pick parallel to your strings for speed picking or do you give it some inclination?

Caus I've got to increase my speed (like many guitarists want...) and of course it is a hard work. So if I could make it slightly easier....

Tks a lot!

Cheers!

Jake dry.gif

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 22 2009, 03:05 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I would also add that you try as many different picks as possible to find what works best for you. You may find that a different variance of your current pick will help you.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 22 2009, 05:47 PM
Kinda going along with what Skenny said,

You should be trying alot of different picks.

While talking about Paul Gilbert, here is a direct quote from wikipedia on the picks he uses

Paul uses Jim Dunlop Tortex picks, of which he prefers the orange (.60mm) picks.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jun 23 2009, 01:35 PM
Jazz Instructor
That depends on the patterns, and your right hand style. Also, playing 2-notes per strings requires hand parallel to strings, some patterns can be played easier with inclination. Some players have style that just....they keep pick parallel all the time, some players use inclination in opposite direction then usual (Hello Marty Friedman smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Jake37
Jun 24 2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks a lot, guys, that REALLY helpd!!

And what about the pick, do you like it rather hard, soft...?

Thanks again!! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:03 PM