2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Need A New Guitar!, But I don't know a thing about guitars!
Arrival
Dec 2 2007, 11:54 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys, Christmas is coming up and my parents have decided to buy me a new guitar. Hooray!! I've been using a $100 Squier Strat for almost four years now (I'm broke and only practicing at this point) and I'm very excited to use something a bit more sophisticated.

Just for an idea, I play a ton of styles, basically anything that can be tagged as a form of rock, so I like to experiment with different tones.

Anyway, considering that I know nothing about guitar tech, I'm asking all of you: what kinds of guitar should I look at? huh.gif I'm probably looking for something under $500.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Dec 3 2007, 12:00 AM
Instructor
you can find in ibanez collection/ gibson epyphone/ a second hand USA stratocaster in a good case for that money

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Alucard
Dec 3 2007, 12:02 AM
Here's a few ideas for you...

Michael Kelly Patriot Glory

Hagstrom Swede

Both of those are great guitars and $500

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Arrival
Dec 3 2007, 12:33 AM
QUOTE (Hisham @ Dec 2 2007, 05:00 PM) *
you can find in ibanez collection/ gibson epyphone/ a second hand USA stratocaster in a good case for that money

Yeah that is my most comfortable investment, something familiar and respected.

QUOTE (Alucard @ Dec 2 2007, 05:02 PM) *
Here's a few ideas for you...

Michael Kelly Patriot Glory

Hagstrom Swede

Both of those are great guitars and $500

I love the Patriot Glory neck that looks awesome. Hopefully I can find a store in the area to try it out.

Also, do you by chance have affiliation with the band Alucard?

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Dec 3 2007, 01:22 AM
I've owned Michael Kelleys and since they are based in Florida I have actually been to their factory and played many of their guitars... long story short... I wouldn't buy another MK. They are made in Korea if I remember correctly. They come setup horribly and the craftsmanship leaves much to be desired. The neck IS beautiful but run your hand along the inlay once and you'll discover why they are so affordable.

For $500 bucks I would steer you towards Made in Mexico Stratocasters (or maybe even a used USA strat), Ibanez guitars, Schecter guitars, and that is about it. I respect Gibson a lot but their lower priced stuff is not that good IMO.

Happy hunting!

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 3 2007, 02:21 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Used USA strat is a good option!Also I would recommend a "strat like" guitar..Peavey has some great guitars , you should look some of them..

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Dec 3 2007, 02:21 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
nickmarx12345678
Dec 3 2007, 02:38 AM
I would definatly suggest searching around ebay for maybe a lightly used guitar. As for the actual guitar I would suggest maybe a les paul or a strat or maybe a gibson SG, my friend has an SG and he loves it and i believe he picked it up used for 300

--------------------
ROCK ON!!!!

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 3 2007, 05:04 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Go play a MADE IN JAPAN JACKSON at your local GUITAR CENTER and you WILL be sold! smile.gif

+Quote Post
swingline
Dec 3 2007, 05:08 AM
For me I went to Guitar Center open minded with no budget and fell in love with the Jackson Dinkeys. Bang for the buck Jacksons have something to prove.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Alucard
Dec 3 2007, 05:38 AM
QUOTE (Arrival @ Dec 2 2007, 06:33 PM) *
Yeah that is my most comfortable investment, something familiar and respected.
I love the Patriot Glory neck that looks awesome. Hopefully I can find a store in the area to try it out.

Also, do you by chance have affiliation with the band Alucard?

No, Alucard is simply Dracula spelled backwards.

Really, Hardtail? The MKs that I have played were excellent

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 3 2007, 02:02 PM
Instructor
I agree with Bogdan, try some Peavey guitars, you will be surprised. ALso try some blade strats, they sure are great sounding instruments.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Dec 3 2007, 02:08 PM
Schecter has great stuff for until 500. try the Demon or Omen series.. I also agree with who ever said Jackson Dinkys. They are great guitars AND they can look wicked cool.. U can get a jackson V or Warrior or Regular all for around the same price!.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 3 2007, 02:20 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
yea agree with all the above, my preference would be a Jackson for that money, I also thought the Mexican strat that I bought was fantastic value for money, also as Ivan said the Blade Strats (although not played one personally) I`ve only ever heard good things about them. smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 3 2007, 08:25 PM
Instructor
I have a Peavey Generation EXP with Piezo guitar. It is a mighty fine guitar for the money. You can find a review on the review board.

Used USA strats are very cool, but be carefull.. there are a lot of fakes and modified ones.

Blade Strats I tried in store several times and they are one fine guitars! Way better than a Mexican Strat and having a lot more tone versatility (also active pickups..)

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gerald
Dec 3 2007, 08:34 PM
I say go to guitarcenter if one is available and try a small handful out and see which one appeals to you the most. That's what I did when I purchased my new guitar. I bought a SG Classic, red finish w/ black pickguard at GC. Also GC has used guitars to - you may find something used that would normally be out of your price range if new.

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Dec 5 2007, 03:40 AM
QUOTE (Alucard @ Dec 2 2007, 11:38 PM) *
Really, Hardtail? The MKs that I have played were excellent

I played a dozen of them at their very own showroom at their factory and they all sounded horrible except one which sounded exceptional (go figure). I bought that one but later began to discover more and more finish flaws so I eventually Ebayed it.

QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 3 2007, 08:02 AM) *
I agree with Bogdan, try some Peavey guitars, you will be surprised. ALso try some blade strats, they sure are great sounding instruments.

Yes I agree. I totally forgot about Peavey. They make incredible guitars for the price and get little loving.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Arrival
Dec 5 2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks a lot so far guys! I'll take all of this into consideration. Hopefully I can get out to a guitar shop and try some stuff out.

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Dec 5 2007, 06:52 AM
Sorry, Smikey, this is way off topic, but is that quote in your signature from Sitting, Waiting, Wishing? laugh.gif I just had to know...

And I agree, Schecters are simply amazing guitars for the price, better than guitars I've played three times their cost. They're extremely versatile, too, they're great for blues, classic rock, shred, just about anything out there! At least, in my opinion...

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Dec 5 2007, 06:52 AM

+Quote Post
man0mule
Dec 5 2007, 07:05 AM
remember that you can haggle with people at guitar center. The asking price for my Gibson Faded Flying V i bought last christmas was $570 and i talked the salesman down to $450.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arrival
Dec 5 2007, 04:52 PM
Well, so far I think my first choice is a Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition.

This looks like quite the fine instrument. MusiciansFriend and Guitar Center list it at $899, but it's selling for $449 now! blink.gif Half off!?! Awesome!

USA Duncan (one JB and one '59) humbucking pickups
Grover Tuners
TonePros Tune-o-Matic Bridge
Thru-Body Tail

What do you guys think?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:46 PM