Post-rock, How do I learn to play it?
Neth
Jun 16 2008, 02:41 PM
GMC:er
Mmm. I looked around, and there are no lessons regarding post rock.

I was wondering if theres something I should know about how to get a sort of "post rock" style into my playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 16 2008, 03:16 PM
Well, as post rock is more about song structure and simple melodies than a way of playing (or well, there is a typical style aswell for "riffing" etc, but it's far from being technical, and the only special technique used a lot is tremolo picking wich is super simple and we have tremolo picking lessons aswell) I don't think lessons on it are that important, since you can't really make lessons on song structures and tension building etc.

I know I didn't answer any of your questions, but I still think it's hard to achieve a post rock lesson, and on getting a style like that into your playing, just experiment with delay a lot. (even though I feel that that is getting really washed up nowadays)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2008, 03:26 PM
Instructor
What bands are considered post-rock? Those like The Strokes, The hives? blink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 16 2008, 03:31 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 16 2008, 03:26 PM) *
What bands are considered post-rock? Those like The Strokes, The hives? blink.gif

God no lol. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Stuff like Godspeed You Black Emperor, Explosions in The Sky, A Silver Mount Zion etc

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-obKx7i15M

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib5aRNLWSdI...feature=related

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Jun 16 2008, 03:32 PM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 16 2008, 03:34 PM
Gabriel: No not at all. Examples of post rock:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ltQqPJ5A2BI - Explosions in the Sky (ignore the video)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gALjwc28UQI&feature=related - Red Sparrowes
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q-hMGgE1_OI - Mogwai (once again, don't pay attention to the video)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-x7Ez7yCyA8 - Isis (allthough they are mostly metal)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2008, 04:21 PM
Instructor
laugh.gif tongue.gif Every day I learn a new rock category. laugh.gif

thanks for the links... sigur ros would be post rock? mellow.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 16 2008, 04:24 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also didn't know that one yet so you are not alone Gabriel wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 16 2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah Gabriel, Sigur Rós are post rock.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 16 2008, 04:33 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 16 2008, 04:21 PM) *
laugh.gif tongue.gif Every day I learn a new rock category. laugh.gif

thanks for the links... sigur ros would be post rock? mellow.gif

The title doesn't make sense but on the whole it is modern classical with very haunting and beautifully melodic sections and also very dark eerie sections mixed in.

It is a great genre I think and I have seen Explosions In The Sky and A Silver Mount Zion live and they were incredible smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 16 2008, 04:37 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Explosions in the sky is pretty good, I have an album in my collection smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2008, 07:16 PM
Instructor
Cool bends, I guess it's not so hard to do something in the style of wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jun 16 2008, 08:35 PM
I absolutely adore post-rock (even though I hate the whole genre-hype-thingy going on).
Explosions in the sky are ok. But I'd recommend "Every red heart shines towards the sun" by Red Sparowes or anything by Sigur Ros or swedish band Ef.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 16 2008, 10:14 PM
QUOTE (PanicProne @ Jun 16 2008, 09:35 PM) *
I absolutely adore post-rock (even though I hate the whole genre-hype-thingy going on).
Explosions in the sky are ok. But I'd recommend "Every red heart shines towards the sun" by Red Sparowes or anything by Sigur Ros or swedish band Ef.

Yes the whole genre hype is horrible and post rock is probably the most dying genre atm aswell, because 90% of all bands sound the same and that's such a shame for a genre that could be so much more.

And yes, Red Sparrowes are amazing, however I'd recomend At the Soundless Dawn over Every Red Heart Shines Towards The Sun.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:32 PM