42 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
Jul 2 2016, 11:19 PM
GMC:er
*If your badge doesn't match your actual rank, please let me know!
!!!SAT SHRED FEST X9!!!!

The X9 Challenge is here!

Hail to the FUNK!! Let's get a bit Funky with this one. Dirty, nasty, gritty, Funk! No the pretty funk!

DETAILS:
DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing
Attached File  x9Backing.mp3 ( 1.02MB ) Number of downloads: 89

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/x9-backing-track-f-pentatonic-funk
KEY: F, (Pentatonic Will work here, throw in some natural minor for fun)
BPM: BPM 120
CHORDS USED: F, G#, A# power chords
SCALES TO USE: F Blues Minor, F Natural Minor
F Blues Scale:
Attached Image
F Minor Scale:
Attached Image
DUE DATE: Before Midnight Next Saturday!!! - July 9th, 2016

----------
This is NOT A COLLAB but something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It doesn't have to be good, it doesn't have to shred, it just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it so here is what I need.

1.)Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)

That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

-----------

BONUS: Custom ELEVEN RACK patch used in the solo section.
Attached File  X9_11rackpreset.tfx.zip ( 1.19K ) Number of downloads: 77

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 2 2016, 11:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 3 2016, 07:03 AM
Learning Roadie
let's go !!!

edit: no so easy and inspirating !!

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Jul 3 2016, 03:55 PM

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 5 2016, 01:37 AM
You can do it smile.gif Think FUNKY!! Pentatonic will work well for this smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 3 2016, 02:03 AM) *
let's go !!!

edit: no so easy and inspirating !!

Laurent

+Quote Post
chris4
Jul 7 2016, 12:27 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd.
This is my one shot improv on your backing track.

chris

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 7 2016, 02:09 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Had to break out the Vox wah for some inspiration. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 7 2016, 05:18 AM
NICE!!! Well played smile.gif I dig the intro lick and the display of vibrato control. Very nice indeed. The bend works entire time and doesn't drift out of tune, and keeps it's tone through really good finger control. Then the solo switches directions and gets technical which is a great way to create contrast. You even use one of my favorite blues/shred licks by pulling a Paul Gilbert with the three chromatic blues notes. Again very nice smile.gif The entire solo is well executed and conveys an intensity which I don't often see. I can almost feel your connection to music while watching the vid. You are really feeling it which is the real key IMHO smile.gif Well done.

You just LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (chris4 @ Jul 6 2016, 07:27 PM) *
Hi Todd.
This is my one shot improv on your backing track.

chris

Just KILLER!!!! Well done from start to finish. The bend at 12 seconds was spot on and really sang with the wah on it. I like the licks you chose also as they remind me of licks I would choose smile.gif Very smooth playing and the wah really does add the special sauce. Working with a wah is an art in itself imho. It's sooooo easy to do it badly and and actually take a way from a solo, but not here. Here you use it to great effect and make the solo really stand out and stick together as Funky bit of Music. The construction is very good and you are killing it all the way to the final chord. In short...

I AM GROOT!!... I Mean...ER....YOU JUST LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 6 2016, 09:09 PM) *
Had to break out the Vox wah for some inspiration. smile.gif

+Quote Post
chris4
Jul 7 2016, 05:54 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 7 2016, 04:18 AM) *
NICE!!! Well played smile.gif I dig the intro lick and the display of vibrato control. Very nice indeed. The bend works entire time and doesn't drift out of tune, and keeps it's tone through really good finger control. Then the solo switches directions and gets technical which is a great way to create contrast. You even use one of my favorite blues/shred licks by pulling a Paul Gilbert with the three chromatic blues notes. Again very nice smile.gif The entire solo is well executed and conveys an intensity which I don't often see. I can almost feel your connection to music while watching the vid. You are really feeling it which is the real key IMHO smile.gif Well done.

You just LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Thank you very much Todd.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 8 2016, 01:26 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 7 2016, 04:18 AM) *
Just KILLER!!!! Well done from start to finish. The bend at 12 seconds was spot on and really sang with the wah on it. I like the licks you chose also as they remind me of licks I would choose smile.gif Very smooth playing and the wah really does add the special sauce. Working with a wah is an art in itself imho. It's sooooo easy to do it badly and and actually take a way from a solo, but not here. Here you use it to great effect and make the solo really stand out and stick together as Funky bit of Music. The construction is very good and you are killing it all the way to the final chord. In short...

I AM GROOT!!... I Mean...ER....YOU JUST LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Thanks Todd! smile.gif I agree playing a Wah can be touchy. I had to find the sweet spots since I haven't played it in so long. Glad I broke it out for this one. It was also fun to play something funky which is something I haven't done in a while. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 8 2016, 02:43 PM
Learning Roadie
sorry but, i had shake my guitar's neck for hours, and nothing come.....

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 8 2016, 09:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Todd, I'm really really sorry but I'm going to have to sit this one out. I can't come up with anything that fits the backing, just random twiddling to the tempo but it just doesn't sound right.

YOU HAVE WON THIS WEEKS CHALLENGE, against me anyway cool.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 8 2016, 09:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2016, 08:56 PM
!!!SAT SHRED FEST X10!!!!

The X10 Challenge is here!! smile.gif Time to Redeem yourself to the God's of Guitar (You know, Vai and those guys) buy submitting a killer take smile.gif

*This solo section is from a collaboration I did with a German singer called ALEXA. Here is my Solo from the music vid that was part of the final.

DETAILS:

Attached File  x10Backing_GiveMeTime.mp3 ( 1.52MB ) Number of downloads: 82

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/x10-backing-givemetime
KEY: F Minor
BPM: BPM 120
CHORDS USED: F Minor Power Chords (3 Descending Whole Tones from the Root)
SCALES TO USE: F Minor
Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before Midnight Next Saturday!!! - July 16, 2016
----------

This is NOT A COLLAB but something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It doesn't have to be good, it doesn't have to shred, it just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it so here is what I need.

1.)Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)

That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

-----------

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 9 2016, 09:00 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 9 2016, 08:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is my playground !!!! i love it

Laurent

ps: possible to have a longer or a fine loopable one ??

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Jul 9 2016, 09:12 PM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 9 2016, 10:59 PM
Learning Roadie
it's me again....

this is a preview about what i catched while turning around it.

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2016, 11:55 PM
You are getting it! smile.gif It's they KEY that is going to throw folks off. Just remember, that the fretboard starts again at the 12th fret. The Minor scale starts over again on the 13th Fret as that is F. So you can move all your licks up and start them at the 13th fret smile.gif

Todd

Anyone else got a quick demo of their progress?

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 9 2016, 05:59 PM) *
it's me again....

this is a preview about what i catched while turning around it.

cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 12 2016, 12:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
I had something, but my computer is playing up, and I think I'll have to reinstall everything. Somehow things seems to be all virused up. sad.gif Not only that, but my graphics cards and sound card are playing up too.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 12 2016, 12:02 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2016, 01:28 AM
Sorry to hear your rig is active up.

Good news is that you can literally use anything. Even software on your phone to record a take.

I was hoping this take would be an easy one, but it seems the key of F Minor is lot more complicated that I thought. So far only FZALFA have braved the divide and submitted a progress take.

I hope for folks are able to work out a take smile.gif It just needs to be you playing against the backing. It can be all pinch harmonics if that's what works for a given take. DOn't be shy folks smile.gif Give it a try on video.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 11 2016, 07:01 PM) *
I had something, but my computer is playing up, and I think I'll have to reinstall everything. Somehow things seems to be all virused up. sad.gif Not only that, but my graphics cards and sound card are playing up too.

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 13 2016, 09:58 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

Another Take, my left hand is a bit rigid because cold.

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2016, 09:45 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about smile.gif NICE!!! Your soloing gets better with each one of these that we do. I know the Key is wacky, as it's not one favored by guitar folks typically. It's more a keyboard players key in general. Folks that have played with keyboard musicians will probably know what I'm talking about. There are certain keys on piano that are just a bit easier to deal with. Just like the key of E and A are a bit easier to handle on guitar.

The reason I chose this was that it's NOT in E or A. It's in F. So if your hands run to the 12th fret to start noodling, your out of key. I wanted to force folks to learn to shift their scales a bit. Very happy to see FZALFA pick up the glove and take on the challenge.

Very spiff solo indeed. Never out of key, the melody progressed and sounded intentional, I can almost hear you wanting to land on certain notes at certain times. This is really the start of becoming a really good solo player. Being able to "feel" the music to know instinctively what note or lack thereof would fit best. Well done smile.gif

You just LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 13 2016, 04:58 AM) *
Hi Todd

Another Take, my left hand is a bit rigid because cold.

cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 15 2016, 08:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Another poor one but I've been like a headless chicken this week, not had much time at all. First time I've really listened to the backing.
I can't seem to get quick playing into my head and hands at the same time so always take it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gWWyYDbT74...eature=youtu.be

WOW! I've just watched this and realised my guitar is drowning out the backing. Sorry. Remixed it, it was hard because for some reason my guitar goes quiet after about 10 seconds. I know there is a way to fix this somewhere in Reaper but haven't had time tonight. I shoul dhave re-recorded but no time so here is a Souncloud of the remix. Sorry Todd. It's crap anyway laugh.gif
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/give-me-time-2

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 16 2016, 09:44 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 16 2016, 10:04 PM
!!!SAT SHRED FEST X11!!!!

The X11 Challenge is here!! One more chance at F MINOR (1st and 13th Fret E string is your ROOT note). This seemed to really throw a LOT of folks off last time, so I thought I'd try once again. You guys can solo in F MINOR. I'm sure of it. Please don't be shy and think your take isn't good enough. Anyone with the gumption to submit a take will move forward here.

*This solo section is from another collab with my German Singer friend ALEXA. Same key as last time so anything you worked up will work here.

DETAILS:

Attached File  X11_Challenge_Backing.mp3 ( 2.83MB ) Number of downloads: 91

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/x11-challenge-backing-forever-moon-solo-section
KEY: F Minor
BPM: BPM 140.1
CHORDS USED: F Minor Power Chords (3 Descending Whole Tones from the Root)
SCALES TO USE: F Minor
Attached Image
DUE DATE: Before Midnight Next Saturday!!! - July 23, 2016

*Demo Example for Ideas smile.gif Can be SLOW or any speed you like.

----------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHILL66 X10 DEBRIEF/REVIEW

First off WELL DONE on making a take. You are only one of two tolks that managed it for this challenge. I appreciate that his one threw everyone else off but you two who pushed through and did it anyway. Cheers for that smile.gif On to the debrief!!

First off another NICE guitar. You have a much better collection than I do for sure. It looks like you are up for investing in some truly fine instruments which always a good thing imho smile.gif It certainly doesn't hurt to hvae some high quality ibby guitars to learn on!

I liked your solo here quite a bit smile.gif You are always in key and on time. You don't drift out of key or time for the entire solo. I notice you seemed like you were using an octave/wah or something to transpose notes? I'm all for using fx, for this type of effect though you could do it with your hands with a slide up to another octave, still it's a creative use of fx which is always worth points smile.gif

You have good technique and hand control here. You don't have any unwanted noise or random bits getting in the way. In short, a well constructed and well played solo smile.gif I look forward to hearing your X11 Solo!

In short, you just LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 15 2016, 03:55 PM) *
Another poor one but I've been like a headless chicken this week, not had much time at all. First time I've really listened to the backing.
I can't seem to get quick playing into my head and hands at the same time so always take it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gWWyYDbT74...eature=youtu.be

WOW! I've just watched this and realised my guitar is drowning out the backing. Sorry. Remixed it, it was hard because for some reason my guitar goes quiet after about 10 seconds. I know there is a way to fix this somewhere in Reaper but haven't had time tonight. I shoul dhave re-recorded but no time so here is a Souncloud of the remix. Sorry Todd. It's crap anyway laugh.gif
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/give-me-time-2

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 17 2016, 11:53 PM

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:38 PM