2 Pages V   1 2 >  
#33 Economic Picking W Fret Travel, Economic Picking Pattern At Various Places on the Neck
Todd Simpson
Jun 23 2018, 06:24 PM
GMC:er
QUICK LICKS #33 ECONOMIC PICKING PATTERNS W FRET TRAVEL
INTRO:
"Economic Picking" is quite simply just using two ore more pick strokes in the same direction. For example, using two down strokes in a row while traversing up the strings. In this example, we are going to us ECON PICKING in a pattern that can be looped. It's the same exact pattern played at three places on the neck. It's on the same strings each time, just at different fret positions. You can focus on looping the pattern at the first position until you get comfy with it.

Make sure to keep a solid palm mute on every string at all times. DO NOT let any of the notes ring out. Keep it all very tight and staccato/choppy. Also, I'm playing this using a finger bar so muting becomes even more important. If your muting is not rock solid, you will end up with notes ringing out when they should be already deadened. Make this sound like you are NOT using a finger bar. E.G. Don't let this ring out like a chord.
This lick has a sort of Paul Gilber/Technical Difficulties Vibe to it, even though Paul Would probably play this Alternate Picked, instead of Economic! It still has that kind of sound and in the "Paulean" style of technical riffage. I find this type of lick much harder to do as an Alt Picking lick, but every hand is different. Se what you think.

*Make sure to watch the vid!.

*NOTE: Keep your mute so that you don't get string noise. Use both hands to mute!
*Here is Guitar Pro Tab for Quick Licks 33

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This is a stand alone drill/lick. It's meant to be played by itself as it's not really a scale. It's for practicing your tapping and muting using an open string and some shifting hand positions.
Attached Image
Attached File  33.gp5 ( 2.17K ) Number of downloads: 119

BTW:
Please let me know if you have any questions about this lick, send me a PM if you like or post here. I'm happy to help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 23 2018, 11:26 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Jun 26 2018, 04:43 PM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2018, 09:16 AM
This might be the most difficult one to date. I was certainly not expecting anyone to be able to play it at that speed!! You ar are playing it just about the same speed that I am in the demo. It has taken me years to work out my technique to that level. You show som serious skills in being able play this lick at pace!! I'm afraid this one may be a bit over the top for most folks but not for you!!! You play the ECON PICKING part very well indeed. Not once do you slip in to Alt picking. There is just a pinch of strin noise but not enough to worry about imho. The main thing I wanted folks to get from this is how to use ECON PICKING in a riff! You can take that riff and move it all over the neck or make your own! Yet another great warm up drill. Also, it makes a great foundation for writing riffs/songs. The cool thing about it is that most folks will not be able to copy it, so it's not something people can hear and easily rip off. Unlike for example, doing palm muted triplets on the low string. That's pretty easy to rip off which is why so many bands sound like Meshuggah and Periphery smile.gif
Also, this is the highest ANYONE has EVER gone on QUICK LICKS. You are the ONLY GMCer in the history of Quick Licks to make it this far and the only one to complete every single one. Congratulations!!! You just ....
LEVELED UP!!!!!*Also, you remain our TOP DAWG!!!!!!!
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Jun 26 2018, 11:43 AM) *
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 27 2018, 09:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well done George, that's incredible. I'm finding it a real finger twister blink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2018, 10:48 PM
It it's a finger twister! smile.gif George did a great job on this one to be sure. This type of Econ picking with this type of pattern where you switch in an out from Alt Picking is quite confusing for most fingers. Also, keeping the econ notes separate and not sounding like a chord is quite a challenge at speed.

keep in mind though that you can play this at any speed you feel comfortable with. As long as it's clean the speed is almost beside the point as it does not impact the grading in any way. Also, the speed will come. Just takes a while smile.gif I worked on this particular type of lick for several years before being able to play it as I do in the vid. It was NOT easy for me. I was trying to learn the first bit of TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES which uses a similar lick. Come to find out, Paul Gilbert does his version with alt picking! I found this type of thing even harder with alt picking so I keep focsused on Econ as a way to decrease the effort being expended by my hand.
Share a vid phil! I"ll give you any pointers I can smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 27 2018, 04:00 PM) *
Well done George, that's incredible. I'm finding it a real finger twister blink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Jun 28 2018, 07:18 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Thank you for your kind words Phil! I try this picking technique in my metal playing and that is why I am feeling more comfortable with this one! Sarge has helped me a lot with my technique improvement since I started in GMC back in February!!! Thanks Sarge!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 29 2018, 05:05 AM
Keep Killing it Soldier!!! smile.gif
Sarge
QUOTE (George Hlio @ Jun 28 2018, 02:18 AM) *
Thank you for your kind words Phil! I try this picking technique in my metal playing and that is why I am feeling more comfortable with this one! Sarge has helped me a lot with my technique improvement since I started in GMC back in February!!! Thanks Sarge!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 29 2018, 09:43 PM
Ok Todd,

Here is the 1st section repeated a couple of times to see if you can give me some pointers. I have to admit the World Cup has taken some of my practise sessions. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/Am3Yt9-sF-8

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 29 2018, 10:30 PM
OK try this, loop the first four notes and don't move your left hand at all. take the left hand entirely out of the equation. The basic shape here is to to start on a down stroke, then upstroke then two down stroke and rinse / repeat. That grouping is the basis of this entire bit. so try to do that on a loop and get comfy with it. it's those two down strokes that are the most important. Try to treat them as a mini sweep and glide over them instead of picking them as individual notes. Make sure you are using a pointy/stiff pick here. if you have a Von hotch pick on hand that would be your best bet! The octavious Von is built just for this type of thing. if not, any stiff pick with a point will do!
Give it a go!! smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 29 2018, 04:43 PM) *
Ok Todd,

Here is the 1st section repeated a couple of times to see if you can give me some pointers. I have to admit the World Cup has taken some of my practise sessions. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/Am3Yt9-sF-8

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 29 2018, 10:58 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 29 2018, 10:30 PM) *
OK try this, loop the first four notes and don't move your left hand at all. take the left hand entirely out of the equation. The basic shape here is to to start on a down stroke, then upstroke then two down stroke and rinse / repeat.

I thought that's what I was doing lol

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 30 2018, 09:10 PM
It looks like you are using picking and fretting? It's ok lol. What i'm saying is just use the picking hand. forget about the fretting. So in other words just keep your left hand in one position or take it off the neck entirely. you need to work on just the four note pattern that is the basis for this lick. Does that make sense?
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 29 2018, 05:58 PM) *
I thought that's what I was doing lol

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 30 2018, 10:19 PM
Sorry Todd, too much Strongbow addled my brain rolleyes.gif I'm not really a numpty, not totally anyway.

Really struggling with this and it seems harder not using the left hand sad.gif

Here is another take, with mistakes, no point not posting without errors wink.gif The guitar nearly went through the window tonight mad.gif

https://youtu.be/dJIHgzCZfAA

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 1 2018, 11:45 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 1 2018, 06:33 AM
You can leave it fretted with your left hand if that helps smile.gif Just don't move your left hand so that you can focus on the right. I saw several times when you had it!!!! One thing, when making the double down stroke, think of it as strumming a chord. Like you are strumming a bit open G chord. Just let your fingers glide over both down strokes. Try to isolate just that for a bit. Just the two down strokes in a row done like strumming a chord. Then add one up stroke on the low string.

It's the combination of those two motions that make the whole thing work smile.gif

I know this is NOT easy. Our Spartan made it looks easy, but it's really quite difficult until you break through and get the hang of it. Try the isolation technique above and let me know! :)Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 30 2018, 05:19 PM) *
Sorry Todd, too much Strongbow addled my brain rolleyes.gif I'm really a numpty, not totally anyway.

Really struggling with this and it seems harder not using the left hand sad.gif

Here is another take, with mistakes, no point not posting without errors wink.gif The guitar nearly went through the window tonight mad.gif

https://youtu.be/dJIHgzCZfAA

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 1 2018, 07:28 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 12 2018, 08:33 PM
Ok,

Now we've been knocked out of the world cup sad.gif I'm back on track a little bit. I've had to add the pick stroke motifs to the whole thing in GP5. I had managed to get it right on the first two (4 with the repeat) bars but when I moved along to the next position I was having to look back. I does seem to be helping a little. This is so hard for me. I used to naturally pick this way and an old teacher made me break the habit by forcing everything to be alternate picking so maybe that's my problem.

UPDATE:
I think I've improved more in ten minutes after putting the up down stroke markers in than I have in the whole time since I started.
Video coming very soon.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 12 2018, 08:40 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 12 2018, 08:59 PM
Awesome! smile.gif You mean in Guitar Pro? I put them in the first couple of bars of notation but not the rest since they don't change. But if it will help i'll start putting them in every bar from now on. Would it help?

todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 12 2018, 03:33 PM) *
Ok,

Now we've been knocked out of the world cup sad.gif I'm back on track a little bit. I've had to add the pick stroke motifs to the whole thing in GP5. I had managed to get it right on the first two (4 with the repeat) bars but when I moved along to the next position I was having to look back. I does seem to be helping a little. This is so hard for me. I used to naturally pick this way and an old teacher made me break the habit by forcing everything to be alternate picking so maybe that's my problem.

UPDATE:
I think I've improved more in ten minutes after putting the up down stroke markers in than I have in the whole time since I started.
Video coming very soon.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 12 2018, 10:10 PM
I did it in gp5 and it has helped more than I would have imagined. I think it's just because I've had a preoccupation hard time with this one, I wouldn't normally have such a problem because most are alternate picking.

I was finding that no matter how quick I could play the first two bars I HAD to look at the picking icons. I thought if I put them all through I could learn the complete piece and it might internalise better. I don't know why but it's worth a try.

You don't have to do it buddy, I'm sure if we need it we can do it.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2018, 01:29 AM
I'll do anything that helps folks smile.gif It's no problem. I'll start putting them in from now on. If it helps, it's worth doing smile.gif Did you try repeating a four note grouping without moving your left hand? Just staying in the first position and not really changine anything but playing it sorta like a chord and just looping the first four notes so that you get that double down stroke on repeat?
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 12 2018, 05:10 PM) *
I did it in gp5 and it has helped more than I would have imagined. I think it's just because I've had a preoccupation hard time with this one, I wouldn't normally have such a problem because most are alternate picking.

I was finding that no matter how quick I could play the first two bars I HAD to look at the picking icons. I thought if I put them all through I could learn the complete piece and it might internalise better. I don't know why but it's worth a try.

You don't have to do it buddy, I'm sure if we need it we can do it.

Cheers buddy.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2018, 06:11 AM
I tried that, I tried a few things. This is a strange one just for me. I actually managed to play the first two bars last night about four times without looking at the tab and then my mind lost its way. Sometimes I can play the first position without looking but when I change position my mind loses the picking pattern again. It's a really really strange thing that maybe only a psychoanalyst could explain. I know for sure, on my first stint of taking up guitar many moons ago, I would have naturally picked it that way, in my youthful arrogance I didn't understand the point of alternate picking, I used to think "what's the point of going passed a string to come back to pick it, just pick it as you get to it". I get it now but after concentrating on alternate picking the economy picking part of my brain seems to have withered away.
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2018, 07:36 PM
How about this. Forget shifting positions. The lick is about the picking after all, not the left hand travel. I just threw that in for giggles, it's got nothing to do with what I'm trying to get across in this lesson. I probably should have just left it out. How about we just pretend that I did leave it out and just focus on the first position? The picking pattern is the entire point of this one.

Stick at the first position and loop it. Close your eyes and feel your way through it. Once that clicks, it will seem much easier!
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2018, 01:11 AM) *
I tried that, I tried a few things. This is a strange one just for me. I actually managed to play the first two bars last night about four times without looking at the tab and then my mind lost its way. Sometimes I can play the first position without looking but when I change position my mind loses the picking pattern again. It's a really really strange thing that maybe only a psychoanalyst could explain. I know for sure, on my first stint of taking up guitar many moons ago, I would have naturally picked it that way, in my youthful arrogance I didn't understand the point of alternate picking, I used to think "what's the point of going passed a string to come back to pick it, just pick it as you get to it". I get it now but after concentrating on alternate picking the economy picking part of my brain seems to have withered away.
Cheers
Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2018, 09:03 PM
Thanks for your help Todd,

Up until last night I wasn't any better than my practise take above so I am quite pleased with this. It's a bit robotic but I'm sure in time as it gets internalised it will be more relaxed.

What do you think? I'm amazed that it took to putting the pick strokes into GP file to manage it. Maybe you've learnt something as a teacher too? That would be cool.

Oh, I don't come in on beat either rolleyes.gif

https://youtu.be/vCGakjoJhNI

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:16 AM