C Major, Scale Generator
TJHarrison5252
May 1 2015, 09:39 AM
GMC:er
What's up guys? cool.gif I'm no expert at the theory but check this out. Head over to the Scale Generator and pick "C major scale or Ionian." What we are trying to is figure out the next mode borrowing from C major. The next mode would be D Dorian same scale shape like C major, Next mode would be E Phrygian same as C major, Next mode F Lydian, Then G Mixolydian, A Aeolian and finally B Locrian. All the same scale shape! Here's the order C major or Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian. Spice it up start w/ C#, Or start w/ D major or Ionian.
That's what I am working on just cramming scale shapes thought I would share w/ the community!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Phil66
May 4 2015, 08:21 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Confused.com blink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2015, 04:47 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I'm not totally sure if I could understand well what you explained there so I cannot confirm that it's ok, but please check out this link where you'll find all the info you need to know about modes:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48825

and off course, let me know if you need help.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 4 2015, 07:50 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (TJHarrison5252 @ May 1 2015, 10:39 AM) *
What's up guys? cool.gif I'm no expert at the theory but check this out. Head over to the Scale Generator and pick "C major scale or Ionian." What we are trying to is figure out the next mode borrowing from C major. The next mode would be D Dorian same scale shape like C major, Next mode would be E Phrygian same as C major, Next mode F Lydian, Then G Mixolydian, A Aeolian and finally B Locrian. All the same scale shape! Here's the order C major or Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian. Spice it up start w/ C#, Or start w/ D major or Ionian.
That's what I am working on just cramming scale shapes thought I would share w/ the community!

Yes - basically what you are saying is that C ionian = D dorian = E phrygian etc.

This is correct - they are the exact same notes on the fretboard. So if you play C ionian over an E phrygian backing track, you will be playing the E phrygian scale etc.

Maybe this can be an eye opener for some people who have not yet gotten into modes? cool.gif

(warning - tech explanation:)
This is not my prefered method of learning modes though, I prefer the approach where you learn the major scale so well you know where the 4th is. Then, all you need to do in order to play the C lydian mode, is to raise the the 4th of the C major (=ionian) scale to the #4th. If find this better than playing G ionian (=C lydian) - because with this approach I get confused about how the individual notes sound in the scale. I am kinda visualising the wrong scale (although it theoretically is and sounds correct)

Either methods are fine though, but if you get stuck you might want to try an alternative approach.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 4 2015, 10:10 PM
Tripleconfused.com

I guess I should stick with minor pentatonic biggrin.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 4 2015, 10:32 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 4 2015, 11:10 PM) *
Tripleconfused.com

I guess I should stick with minor pentatonic biggrin.gif

Phil

Or add this note and you will be playing dorian sounds instead:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 5 2015, 10:18 PM
When I added my first reply I wasn't making a joke. I thought that TJ had posted something that I should understand and didn't. Maybe GMC could create a workout for the modes with a very very slow learning curve?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2015, 06:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 5 2015, 06:18 PM) *
When I added my first reply I wasn't making a joke. I thought that TJ had posted something that I should understand and didn't. Maybe GMC could create a workout for the modes with a very very slow learning curve?

Cheers

Phil

mmm it seems that we have a great idea for my next workout here. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 6 2015, 10:02 PM
Looking forward to it wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
TJHarrison5252
May 7 2015, 05:01 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 6 2015, 09:02 PM) *
Looking forward to it wink.gif
I'm glad I said I wasn't an expert lol. As musician you can't afraid to make mistakes, that's what makes you better at the end of the day! Cheers!

+Quote Post
TJHarrison5252
May 7 2015, 06:10 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 4 2015, 06:50 PM) *
Yes - basically what you are saying is that C ionian = D dorian = E phrygian etc.

This is correct - they are the exact same notes on the fretboard. So if you play C ionian over an E phrygian backing track, you will be playing the E phrygian scale etc.

Maybe this can be an eye opener for some people who have not yet gotten into modes? cool.gif

(warning - tech explanation:)
This is not my prefered method of learning modes though, I prefer the approach where you learn the major scale so well you know where the 4th is. Then, all you need to do in order to play the C lydian mode, is to raise the the 4th of the C major (=ionian) scale to the #4th. If find this better than playing G ionian (=C lydian) - because with this approach I get confused about how the individual notes sound in the scale. I am kinda visualising the wrong scale (although it theoretically is and sounds correct)

Either methods are fine though, but if you get stuck you might want to try an alternative approach.

Plz correct if I am mistaken! I am figuring it out how it blends diatonicly? I think I made up a new word lol. Trial and error has led me to this point. I also learned awhile back 2 weeks ago or so A Melodic Minor= D Lydian Dominant=G# Super Locrian. Then I noticed and got confused what scale shape starts w/ 1 1/2 steps? I get confused w/ vocab as well so I might not be saying it correctly I apologize cool.gif

This post has been edited by TJHarrison5252: May 7 2015, 08:24 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 7 2015, 08:27 AM
GMC Founder
TJ - you are a model for how one should approach theory! cool.gif

You have spent some time with it, and learned it your way. Keep going like this and you will basically tailor these tools to your needs. You will go far!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 6 2015, 07:00 AM) *
mmm it seems that we have a great idea for my next workout here. smile.gif

Yes a super basic modes workshop is needed for sure - great brainstorming here! =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
TJHarrison5252
May 7 2015, 08:47 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 7 2015, 07:27 AM) *
TJ - you are a model for how one should approach theory! cool.gif

You have spent some time with it, and learned it your way. Keep going like this and you will basically tailor these tools to your needs. You will go far!

Yes a super basic modes workshop is needed for sure - great brainstorming here! =)

Thank you! I keep going for sure but I wouldn't say model it's real unorthodox (trial and error) I guess not a real safe way to learn but very possible! Looking at the big picture the blending is real confusing but then you can over look it and realize that its simple like oh what key are we jamming in? lol

This post has been edited by TJHarrison5252: May 7 2015, 09:02 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:14 PM