2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Thick V.s. Thin, A matter of strings...
Mer-V
Jul 27 2007, 11:22 PM
GMC:er
Howdy there fellow GMC'ers, today on the question board:

What is better in your opinion, thick of thin strings. Now with thick I mean everything above an average of .09, and with thin I mean everyhing under that thickness. I've been using .09's for as long as I have been playing, but I was wondering what the up and downside were of having either very thick or very thin strings. Now I don't really need to know which one is best in your opinion (because obviously, you are not me, and when it comes to playing everyone has a different liking) but more as to why you think that they are better. And maybe a little advise on which types of music are mostly played with either thick or thin strings.

Regards,

MerV

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Jul 27 2007, 11:42 PM
QUOTE (Mer-V @ Jul 27 2007, 11:22 PM) *

What is better in your opinion, thick of thin strings. Now with thick I mean everything above an average of .09, and with thin I mean everyhing under that thickness. I've been using .09's for as long as I have been playing, but I was wondering what the up and downside were of having either very thick or very thin strings. Now I don't really need to know which one is best in your opinion (because obviously, you are not me, and when it comes to playing everyone has a different liking) but more as to why you think that they are better. And maybe a little advise on which types of music are mostly played with either thick or thin strings.

Regards,

MerV

Well, to give a standard answer, thick strings are used for dropped tunings, as they add a better bass sound to the mix. I use .009s, on the sole fact that changing them would mean hours and hours of tinkering with my floyd.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 28 2007, 12:25 AM
Instructor
Depends on a taste! If you like soloing and bendings than you better stick with 0.09s.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Aaron
Jul 28 2007, 12:52 AM
Depends on a taste! If you like soloing and bendings than you better stick with 0.09s.

i agree...the thick strings just dont have the same sound but if ur into low sounding stuff then go for the thick strings...i use the 0.09's

--------------------
DON'T BUG ME ... I'M PRACTICING

Gear: (new) fender strat , 25g frontman amp,
Wishlist: Ibanez Jem, Flying V natural.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 28 2007, 01:44 AM
I've tried 0.9, 0.10 and 0.11.

0.9 bends waaay too easy, 0.10 is perfect and 0.11 is very hard to play, in my opinion. Really hard to bend and I get really tired of playing with 0.11. I cant really tell any difference in sound though, but I think 0.10 is perfect to play with.

+Quote Post
D0NNY
Jul 28 2007, 02:39 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 27 2007, 04:44 PM) *
I've tried 0.9, 0.10 and 0.11.

0.9 bends waaay too easy, 0.10 is perfect and 0.11 is very hard to play, in my opinion. Really hard to bend and I get really tired of playing with 0.11. I cant really tell any difference in sound though, but I think 0.10 is perfect to play with.

lite top/heavy bottom 10-52's all the way! Better sound, faster picking, better squeals. Zakk plays with like 12-62's or something like that so you can still bend and solo just fine if you work on your finger strength.

You could always use one of these to build up your strength if your having problems:

http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/gripmast..._exerciser.html

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
GroovinMastiff
Jul 28 2007, 03:18 AM
QUOTE (Mer-V @ Jul 27 2007, 07:22 PM) *

Regards,

MerV

Hey there,
Like a lot of people here, I've tried a bunch of gauges, and I've settled with .011-.049 for my six stringer and .010-.056 (for the low "B") on my seven stringer and I keep both guitars in standard tuning.
Why? I like the way the heavier strings sound to my ears, and when I want to give my fingers a little break (or when I want the low "B"), I play my seven stringer with the 10s on it as opposed to the 11s on my six stringer.

As far as soloing and shredding and all that fun stuff, if you go for heavier strings, your fingers and hands will eventually get used to them, and you won't even notice that you're using heavier strings (thiner strings feel way too "slinky" to me now).

Bottom line is that you should try as many types of strings as possible (maybe even try the same gauge from different brands for more variety) and choose what feels and sounds right to you, the golden rule is: "If it feels good, it is good." wink.gif

Hope that helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by GroovinMastiff: Jul 28 2007, 03:19 AM

--------------------
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 28 2007, 03:55 AM
QUOTE (D0NNY @ Jul 27 2007, 08:39 PM) *
lite top/heavy bottom 10-52's all the way! Better sound, faster picking, better squeals. Zakk plays with like 12-62's or something like that so you can still bend and solo just fine if you work on your finger strength.

You could always use one of these to build up your strength if your having problems:

http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/gripmast..._exerciser.html

i would probably use 10-52, except i have a concern that the mixed set might over time twist the neck. so i use 10-46.

+Quote Post
AliMo
Jul 28 2007, 04:38 AM
I don't know much about string gauges as I've only played one type (0.09) but I do have a question about one of these.......... http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/gripmast..._exerciser.html

Do these actually help at all or is it just some gimmick, I saw one at a music store once and was gonna get it but reconsidered cause I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. Has anyone used these before?

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sergeant_Ant
Jul 28 2007, 04:40 AM
i dont know but ive heard heavier strings sustain longer and are used for the deeper, more bass kinda things while the lighter are supposably just easier to fret in a hurrt but im no expert, just relaying what i heard

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"Whenever society gets too stifling and the rules get too complex, there's some sort of musical explosion" - Slash / Guns 'n Roses

"Play the music, not the instrument." - Author Unknown

Equpiment
Guitars: Ibanez RG350EX
Fender Stratocaster S-S-S
Effects: None
Amps: Fender SP-10

www.myspace.com/sergeantant

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 28 2007, 04:44 AM
Thin YES!!!!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Sergeant_Ant
Jul 28 2007, 04:46 AM
whats everybody here playin on string wise? how they play, like whats better for what? im lookin to try somethin new

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"Whenever society gets too stifling and the rules get too complex, there's some sort of musical explosion" - Slash / Guns 'n Roses

"Play the music, not the instrument." - Author Unknown

Equpiment
Guitars: Ibanez RG350EX
Fender Stratocaster S-S-S
Effects: None
Amps: Fender SP-10

www.myspace.com/sergeantant

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 28 2007, 08:21 AM
Lets go fishing!
I used 38,30,22,14,11,8 gauge Gibson Brite Wires and there lush. I love light gauge strings because of the amount of bending and phrasing i do! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Otto
Jul 28 2007, 08:40 AM
I use these http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/Electri...ueSteelEl.shtml
10-46 feels great and got floyd rose on one of my guitars so not gonna change.
About bending 10 strings? ohh well... you got to feel alittle pain otherwise its not blues! cool.gif

+Quote Post
D0NNY
Jul 28 2007, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (AliMo @ Jul 27 2007, 07:38 PM) *
I don't know much about string gauges as I've only played one type (0.09) but I do have a question about one of these.......... http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/gripmast..._exerciser.html

Do these actually help at all or is it just some gimmick, I saw one at a music store once and was gonna get it but reconsidered cause I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. Has anyone used these before?

It's no gimmick, it will make your hand/fingers stonger.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Mer-V
Jul 28 2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the advise guys. I do think that I'm going to stick with .009's for just now. Today I went to a huge music store in Germany and tried out some .010's, and .011, but it just didn't feel right. On the 11's I could hardly bend a string, which is I use in a lot of my playing, and the 10's were a little to thick for comfort.

Now it could have been that I tried them out on a guitar which was different from mine, and that it were not the strings that caused me to play terribly. Well, maybe I'll restring my guitar with .008's maybe, but that's just if my playing style suits those thin strings.

Cheers, MerV

+Quote Post
egomednog
Jul 29 2007, 12:15 AM
Hmm, well I like 8s-38s smile.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 29 2007, 01:19 AM
QUOTE (D0NNY @ Jul 28 2007, 12:35 PM) *
It's no gimmick, it will make your hand/fingers stonger.

i assume that you have one. which do you use, the medium one, or the stiffest one?

+Quote Post
D0NNY
Jul 29 2007, 07:08 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 28 2007, 04:19 PM) *
i assume that you have one. which do you use, the medium one, or the stiffest one?

I'm using the medium one right now. I have the stiffest one right now but I haven't used it yet. I'm working my way up to it. I'll probably switch to it once i can get my ring and pinky as strong as my index and ring. I'm seeing progress, it's definately helping.

It's like anything else, you have to work at it. I just carry it around in my pocket all the time, which you can't do with a guitar. Bending and vibrato with my pinky is getting easier and it realy helps with finger independance. Stonger fingers are faster and more accurate fingers right? Every little bit helps.

BTW - I am in no way way affiliated with gripmaster, or gripmaster products tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
TheGreatRaja
Jul 30 2007, 09:59 AM
I've used gripmaster products for athletics and improving your grip/finger strength. they work great.

as for strings, I haven't enough experience on anything else then .009's ... they seem good to me biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:56 PM