Tomorrow Gig And I've Got Nerves
Mrblomme
Jan 28 2008, 04:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ok thursday and tuesday I have a gig.
So tomorrow and ... smile.gif

It's my first gig (only 1 song it's at school but I think at least with 200 people) but I'm nervous

you can't imagine

the problem is, if I'm nervous there's always 1 piece that I play wrong
Do you guys have any tips to get less nervous?

thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
coffeeman
Jan 28 2008, 04:30 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi m8,

Relax. Before the concert sit in a quiet place and concentrate only in your breathing, do it very slowly. Think in your song , see yourself playing it perfectly in front of those 200 people. You know the song, so everything is going to be awesome.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 28 2008, 04:41 PM
Instructor
More you think about it, more nervous you may get. If you can play the song perfectly, and I suppose you can, just relax and forget about the audience and play it as you do it alone. At the end, even if you make a mistake, hardly anyone will notice it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 28 2008, 04:41 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
when we play gigs we usually start off the set with a pretty straight forward song just to settle any nerves but as this is the only song, before I left home I`d run through it a few times just to keep it fresh, then I`d probably have a bit of a laugh with some mates to settle nerves, I find sitting quietly thinking about the song will almost have the opposite effect and I`ll be blank before I start.
If you`ve prepared well enough then you`ll walk it mate, no probs whatsoever .. goodluck smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 28 2008, 04:55 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Smells @ Jan 28 2008, 03:41 PM) *
when we play gigs we usually start off the set with a pretty straight forward song just to settle any nerves but as this is the only song, before I left home I`d run through it a few times just to keep it fresh, then I`d probably have a bit of a laugh with some mates to settle nerves, I find sitting quietly thinking about the song will almost have the opposite effect and I`ll be blank before I start.
If you`ve prepared well enough then you`ll walk it mate, no probs whatsoever .. goodluck smile.gif

haha. We do the opposite and start with our hardest song tongue.gif

Oh and I've got a gig on Thursday and my neck needs a brace currently due to a minor muscle injury so that should be fun.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 28 2008, 05:08 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If you know the song good enough there's no need to be nervous - Then you know you will deliver just like that!

But since there's a part you don't know that well I suggest to start working on it right away. If you can't master it, just replace it with something a bit simpler. I think the important thing is to be comfortable with the song and makeing the difficult parts easier in order to get there is alright. Is you start hesitating when playing that will be noticed by the audience and by yourself, and if you noticed that they noticed you played an error there's a risk the easier parts afterwards will not come out right either.

Like Smells we always start with a no brainer just to get warmed up and confident. First couple of songs are just for warming up. But in your case with only one song to play you really got to know it well.

So if you have time, get to work on it. Adjust the difficult part if nesseccary.. but then on stage, stick to the plan and don't start thinking about "which part should I play, the easy or the hard part?", play what you know!

I'm sure with your mind set on it you'll do good tomorrow! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Jan 28 2008, 05:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
You'll do fine! smile.gif People are always afraid that they will mess up (me included) but its human nature, everyone makes mistakes and people will still like you even if you mess up! smile.gif Best way though, is to practice the song so you dont mess up biggrin.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 28 2008, 05:11 PM
Instructor
Just relax and have fun. But stay concentrated and you'll have a great gig smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 28 2008, 08:36 PM
Instructor
What should you do?? You should be chasing chicks right now laugh.gif

Kidding... cool.gif .... the chicks will chase you after... and before the gig, just relax, and know that most of the people in the crowd are not musicians and don't know about mistakes. Just play, if you make a mistake and stop, make a joke, do a freeze poze, like elvis or something, and move on. wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 28 2008, 08:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
That is a cool feeling you get before your first gig...You'll miss it later on wink.gif If you know the song it will be ok , if you make a mistake continue and it will be forgotten wink.gif You are not playing for Ed Sullivan show wink.gif I will be cool gig I promise wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Jan 28 2008, 08:52 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jan 28 2008, 08:55 PM
Don't worry so much, if you mess upp, nobody will notice it except you. And well, when I played in school last year, there was one song that had some really annoying and fast chord changes, I basically couldn't play it right.. But then when we were playin in front of the entire school, everything went perfect, so just relax and you'll be fine. If you mess up, just pretent that's what you intended to play, and nobody will notice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jan 28 2008, 08:59 PM
Hey m8,

What helped me alot at the first gigs, was to just focus on the music, and really enjoy it yourself, that way the audience can feel it as well. But imo you should always feel alittle nervous no matter how many times you play, afteralll its a great kick to play in front of an audience.

So my advice is, if you like the music you play, try to enjoy playing it for others smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Jan 28 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the support guys. smile.gif
It really helps me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chast
Jan 28 2008, 09:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey good luck with your first gig smile.gif
And we want some recordings! wink.gif

This post has been edited by chast: Jan 28 2008, 09:20 PM

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Jan 28 2008, 09:27 PM
QUOTE (chast @ Jan 28 2008, 09:20 PM) *
Hey good luck with your first gig smile.gif
And we want some recordings! wink.gif

Thanks and I think It'll be recorded at least there will be photo's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 28 2008, 10:34 PM
Instructor
dont worry man we are musicians passed in this period so just relax and if you are playing with band try to be
all so cloesed to each others thats will help you little.

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Jan 28 2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys.
Ok tomorrow from 9AM till 12AM It's general repetition so I'll see how it goes there.
I let you guys know how the repetition was tomorrow in the afternoon before the gig.

Now I'm going to sleep and make sure my batteries are fully charged by tomorrow. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mrblomme: Jan 28 2008, 10:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jan 28 2008, 10:57 PM
go to your nearest off liscence and buy a big bottle of vodca.... no comment on what you should do with it though tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 29 2008, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Jan 28 2008, 01:57 PM) *
go to your nearest off liscence and buy a big bottle of vodca.... no comment on what you should do with it though tongue.gif

Slide guitar ? tongue.gif

Good luck with the gig mate! smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Jan 29 2008, 04:39 PM
Ok today it was big repetition. All went very good. Now I'm off to the shower, relax a bit and then I go to the place where the gig is.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:19 AM