> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Mith's Guitar Journey, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
May 31 2014, 05:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Mith! This is our thread for working together on these things:

The main goal is to improve my overall skill level at a basic level and a little later on improve my lead playing.

Some Things I want to improve on, in no particular order
*Chords - I want to be able to put together songs with chords as easily as I would one with power chords. I want to be able to construct chords on the fly. (I've been slowly working through the chord workshop for this)

*Notes - I've been spending a lot of time trying to become fluent with the fretboard note names. I found this really helpful for opening up the neck when playing lead because I can jump between octaves.

*Scales - I've gotton quite fluent with the shapes and I have been using the method attached for this and have really liked this concept since its more of assembling the scale around your position instead of remembering shapes.

*speed - I really want to speed my playing up a bit and make it cleaner tho I'm not interested in playing solos really fast. I like the idea of Ascending and descending scales fast to move from positions and do more melodic stuff when there.

*Solos - Knowing all the shapes is one thing but I feel i'm really lacking on how to apply them in a musical context. I like the idea of using slightly exotic scales and modes to give my lead work more of an identity. I would like to learn some sequences for the fast ascending descending idea but melodic for the other parts (I guess the idea is longer licks and stead of fast repeating licks).

Could you please post some videos of you playing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 1 2014, 04:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm currently working on this Style lesson

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Him-Style-Love-Metal/

Was one of the bands that influenced me a bit and figured it captures a bit of chord usage which is something I want to improve on and its very melodic. I'll post a video of that in a day or two (Have learnt the Rhythm just cleaning up the chord part) since I think its better if I start of with something that I'm wanting to work on

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 2 2014, 06:34 PM
Instructor
Good choice! My idea for this workout would be to keep on working on things that you want, and that you like to keep motivation which is the most important thing. If you enjoy what you are practicing, everything will be much more effective.

I'll wait for the video! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 3 2014, 07:14 PM
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52294

Well there is the first video. Went ok I think. I really liked the arpeggio part (even tho I think I could of executed them better) and I really liked the inversions for the harmonies.

This would be something I'd like to delve into a little more. Really found it fun to play and I liked the chime like feel to it all

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 4 2014, 11:59 AM
Well so far the seems one of the biggest things I need to work on is my vibrato. So what would you recommend? My guess would be Ben's Vibrato odyssey but you might know of a better way. Goal here is to turn this weakness so it is one of the strongest parts of my playing.

Anyway look forward to hearing your advice and plan of attack with a routine. I've set aside 2.5-3hrs 4 nights a week (some weeks 3 nights) And weekends are pretty good for at least the same amount of time if not more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 4 2014, 02:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I just commented your video at REC! Let me say that it's a very good first step. It's true that the main thing to improve in your playing is vibrato but the idea is that we design a guitar routine that covers different aspects.

I think that we could try this first weeks covering this topics:

Warming Up (7 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/

Vibrato (25 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

Bending (25 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...String-Bending/

Alternate Picking (25 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

Rhythm (25 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/

Theory (15 minutes)
Finding the notes on the fret-board
Music Intervals

What do you think?

If you think that any of this lessons is too easy or difficult we can replace it, just let me know!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 4 2014, 02:39 PM
Looks great. really like the warm up idea. Gonna be some big stretches lol.
I plan on making a solid start on Friday. Tonight I've committed myself to setting up a good amount of different tones in the POD HD (Already found your patches tongue.gif). Whole idea behind this venture into guitar is to develop new skills and broaden my horizons a little.

Thanks for your help Gab its very much appreciated

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 4 2014, 02:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 4 2014, 10:39 AM) *
Looks great. really like the warm up idea. Gonna be some big stretches lol.
I plan on making a solid start on Friday. Tonight I've committed myself to setting up a good amount of different tones in the POD HD (Already found your patches tongue.gif). Whole idea behind this venture into guitar is to develop new skills and broaden my horizons a little.

Thanks for your help Gab its very much appreciated

Great!! Remember to check this thread: Pod HD500 Patches

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 7 2014, 04:27 PM
Lessons going well, Biggest bit I'm stuck on is in the warm up the G#add9. I can make the stretch well enough but as soon as I add in the 2nd finger on the 5th or bar down to get the other note on the 4th my pinky lays flat and mutes everything and not to sure how I can adjust my hand to fret it. I do have pretty small hands but I doubt that its limiting enough to make it impossible

oh and vibratos on the top of a bend. I imagine the textbook way of doing it correct it to bend up to the not then bend up a tad more for the vibrato or is it more common practice to flatten the bend a little for the vibrato

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 7 2014, 05:49 PM
Instructor
Hi Mith, great to hear from you. A good exercise for big stretches chords is to keep the chord shape with your left for some minutes many times per day. With the pass of days, you will start to feel more comfortable with the shape, your fingers will get used to the chord and stretches.

Check the first exercise of this video, it's great for bending & vibrato:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 12 2014, 03:41 PM
Starting to really get some of those chords under my fingers and also feeling the strength go up in all my fingers (That warm up alone I feel has helps with my overall playing). Found a trick were instead of trying to always stretch for a chord I just learn the shape further up and when I can play it cleanly there move it down a fret. Also gives a way of tracking progress.

Bends are getting pretty spot on, the vibrato on top is a still a little rough and would like to be able to make it wider.

Quick question. Is there any pitch you aim for with vibrato or is it more keeping it even and then just thinking if you want to go wide or narrow or slow or fast?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 12 2014, 04:11 PM
Oh and is there a theory post on when to use these add7, add9 and add11 (pretty much any of those weird chords)

In the sense of a progression

This post has been edited by Mith: Jun 12 2014, 04:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2014, 02:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 12 2014, 11:41 AM) *
Starting to really get some of those chords under my fingers and also feeling the strength go up in all my fingers (That warm up alone I feel has helps with my overall playing). Found a trick were instead of trying to always stretch for a chord I just learn the shape further up and when I can play it cleanly there move it down a fret. Also gives a way of tracking progress.

Bends are getting pretty spot on, the vibrato on top is a still a little rough and would like to be able to make it wider.

Quick question. Is there any pitch you aim for with vibrato or is it more keeping it even and then just thinking if you want to go wide or narrow or slow or fast?

Hi Mith! Great to see you working and noting improvements! That's a very good trick to work on chords with big stretches, you've been very clever. Regarding vibrato, the pitch should be around the note that you are playing, a bit up and a bit down but not wide enough to reach the next note in chromatic scale.

QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 12 2014, 12:11 PM) *
Oh and is there a theory post on when to use these add7, add9 and add11 (pretty much any of those weird chords)

In the sense of a progression

Here you will find useful theory about chords: LINK

Check it out and tell if you have questions about it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 3 2014, 02:44 PM
Instructor
Hi Myth! These are the comments for the takes that you send me via PM:

Hi Mith! Great to see you working hard! Here I go with some little details to improve:

Vibrato lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

- The first vibratos (from 00:00 to 00:18) sound more like bends, you are reaching the next note and that makes it sounds weird. Check how Ben does micro bends to avoid this effect.

- From 00:18 to 00:30, the rhythm used for the vibrato is different to the original lesson and it doesn't go with the groove of the song. Re-check it.

- From 00:31 to 00:42, again, the rhythm is different and your vibrato is not regular. You should make it sound more consistent and tight.

- 00:41 to 00:52, in this part you missed the rhythm used by Ben.

In general lines, the main problem is pitch, and rhythm. The best way to improve this lesson is to practice it over the original lesson trying to emulate the sound and rhythm that Ben is using. He is all the time very connected with the groove of the song, so it's very important to pay attention to the drums and backing and feel the overall rhythm.

Picking hand: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

This lesson is going on the right track but it still needs more practice. The different parts need to be polished, and the overall lesson should sound tighter. I find timing issues, not very dramatic, but they are there. I'm not sure if this is a technique limitation or just a matter of distraction. So, my suggestion is to keep on practicing try to make each note sound right, and focus on going tight with the rhythm.

Once again, practicing over the original lesson could be a good idea.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 3 2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks Gab, Will focus on those points. Will practice with the lesson a bit and try and focus on the timing side of things a bit more

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 3 2014, 03:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 3 2014, 11:21 AM) *
Thanks Gab, Will focus on those points. Will practice with the lesson a bit and try and focus on the timing side of things a bit more

Perfect! Please keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 14 2014, 02:55 AM
Got alot of practice in this weekend. Vibratos feel smoother and bends closer on pitch. Hoping to make some new Vids in the next day or 2 for you.

Fun times

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 14 2014, 03:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 13 2014, 10:55 PM) *
Got alot of practice in this weekend. Vibratos feel smoother and bends closer on pitch. Hoping to make some new Vids in the next day or 2 for you.

Fun times

Great to know this Mith! I'll be waiting for your videos. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 22 2014, 05:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkRYqZWSJs...Qe3VSs7xIEGqWbc

Well its better but could still be tighter I guess

I think I have a habit of rushing the triplet. The problem is when I try to correct it I tend to go to the other extreme. Might just be one of those things where a triplet at that speed just feels weird lol.

Hoping to post more soon like the vibrato one and maybe this again. Been a busy man the last few weeks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2014, 02:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Mith, how are you?

yes, I note the timing issue that you are talking about but I also think that there is room to play tighter even when you play other figures like 8th and 16th notes. The problem becomes more important with triplets and when you combine them with 16th notes near the end.

It's important to know that to give the licks a clearer rhythm and intention we tend to accentuate a bit the notes that are played over the beat. This means that you should accentuate the first of every 2 8th notes, the first of every 3 triplets and the first of every 4 16th notes.

In order to polish this I recommend you to create two parallel exercises over metronome or a drum loop:

Ex 1: Play 8th notes on a same note or a repetitive pattern and try to accentuate the first of each two.
Ex 2: The same with triplets.
Ex 3: The same with 16th notes.

Once you feel comfortable with them and can play them tight and with the correct accentuation get back to the exercise.

Please try it and let me know how it feels. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 09:14 AM