Detailed Workout, Since I got time and realised..
Steelkonsum
Dec 17 2007, 06:46 PM
Well hello again!

Its been a while, the green clothes keep me busy. Now I got a short short vacation and a few hours to burn on guitar.

I have at least 2-3 hours a day for almost two whole weeks! more than I have had in a long time. So anyhow, I picked up my guitar and I realised.. I suck. There's just no other way ti put it. Tried out a lot of the "beginner" stuff thats on here but couldnt pull it off. So after nearly trashing my guitar after failing to play "We wish you a merry christmas" I decided. I need a strict workout schedule.

So now Im turning to you because Im dumb, help me with excercizes to get me going again. Point me in direction on this site with lessons with good excersizes. I have tried but I failed.

So sum it up: help me divide my few hours a day into sections and help me fill them excersizes.

I hope Im not bargaining for too much here.

Cheers,

A very dishearted guitarist.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 17 2007, 08:39 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Dec 17 2007, 01:46 PM) *
Well hello again!

Its been a while, the green clothes keep me busy. Now I got a short short vacation and a few hours to burn on guitar.

I have at least 2-3 hours a day for almost two whole weeks! more than I have had in a long time. So anyhow, I picked up my guitar and I realised.. I suck. There's just no other way ti put it. Tried out a lot of the "beginner" stuff thats on here but couldnt pull it off. So after nearly trashing my guitar after failing to play "We wish you a merry christmas" I decided. I need a strict workout schedule.

So now Im turning to you because Im dumb, help me with excercizes to get me going again. Point me in direction on this site with lessons with good excersizes. I have tried but I failed.

So sum it up: help me divide my few hours a day into sections and help me fill them excersizes.

Cheers,

Sorry to hear your frustrated man. Don't get to down on yourself though, guitar takes lots and lots of practice and it will take time. It sounds like you were on the right track with the beginner stuff though. That's where I'd recommend starting. Kris lays out a pretty good schedule in this section actually.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/beginner-...eo-lessons1.htm

The beginner lessons are well worth the time and effort to work through. However it may be better if you don't spend your whole 2 hrs practicing just one thing. This can get boring and leave you unmotivated. Pick a couple of lessons and break your practice into smaller time intervals. By this I mean spend like 20 mins on warm up, 20 mins on scales, 20 mins on technique...however you chose to do it. This will give you some variety. Set small goals for yourself aswell each week to help with motivation. Whether it be to complete a lesson or maybe hit a metronome speed, just something little to strive for. I'd also recommend getting a metronome if you don't already have one. Very valuable for increasing your speed and improving your timing. Also look at Andrews theory lessons

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3351

They are very useful and help you better understand exactly what your doing when your playing. The beginner scales lessons make so much more sense when you understand how the scales work. (I found that anyway)

Something I do is keep a record of each practice in a log book. This is of great help when I feel I'm not getting anywhere. I just flip through to see how I've increased my metronome speeds, and what lessons I've completed. Helps keep me motivated. Kris has also added a new feature on the main page to help you create your own lesson plan

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/

This is a great feature as it gives each lesson a rating of difficulty. Should help you pick lessons to go to after the beginner section.

Your own routine is something you'll have to tinker with to get just right for you. But it sounds like your determined and focused so I'm sure you'll have no problems getting into your routine. Good luck man and I hope this helped a bit. Keep us posted as to how your doing.

rok

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
lefty01
Dec 17 2007, 08:44 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 17 2007, 02:39 PM) *
Sorry to hear your frustrated man. Don't get to down on yourself though, guitar takes lots and lots of practice and it will take time. It sounds like you were on the right track with the beginner stuff though. That's where I'd recommend starting. Kris lays out a pretty good schedule in this section actually.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/beginner-...eo-lessons1.htm

The beginner lessons are well worth the time and effort to work through. However it may be better if you don't spend your whole 2 hrs practicing just one thing. This can get boring and leave you unmotivated. Pick a couple of lessons and break your practice into smaller time intervals. By this I mean spend like 20 mins on warm up, 20 mins on scales, 20 mins on technique...however you chose to do it. This will give you some variety. Set small goals for yourself aswell each week to help with motivation. Whether it be to complete a lesson or maybe hit a metronome speed, just something little to strive for. I'd also recommend getting a metronome if you don't already have one. Very valuable for increasing your speed and improving your timing. Also look at Andrews theory lessons

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3351

They are very useful and help you better understand exactly what your doing when your playing. The beginner scales lessons make so much more sense when you understand how the scales work. (I found that anyway)

Something I do is keep a record of each practice in a log book. This is of great help when I feel I'm not getting anywhere. I just flip through to see how I've increased my metronome speeds, and what lessons I've completed. Helps keep me motivated. Kris has also added a new feature on the main page to help you create your own lesson plan

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/

This is a great feature as it gives each lesson a rating of difficulty. Should help you pick lessons to go to after the beginner section.

Your own routine is something you'll have to tinker with to get just right for you. But it sounds like your determined and focused so I'm sure you'll have no problems getting into your routine. Good luck man and I hope this helped a bit. Keep us posted as to how your doing.

rok

Wow! You keep on giving fantastic advice like that, and you'll be one on our moderators. biggrin.gif
Rok on, my friend.

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Dec 17 2007, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Dec 17 2007, 06:46 PM) *
I have at least 2-3 hours a day for almost two whole weeks! more than I have had in a long time. So anyhow, I picked up my guitar and I realised.. I suck.

Don't loose heart! biggrin.gif

If you're really interested in improving, try and find out exactly how you suck:

What do you need to work on the most?

Is it your picking hand?
Your improvising skills?
Do you need to learn how to make your scales sound not like scales and more melodic?
Etc.

No matter how good you get, you will always have moments when you suck.
Better get used to it.

Sometimes my guitar and I are not friends.. mad.gif

But it usually doesn't last very long. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Dec 17 2007, 10:22 PM
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Dec 17 2007, 06:46 PM) *
Well hello again!

Cheers,

Damn dude that sucks, I'm a very unorganized person so I'm not about to lay out a schedule for you when I never go by one. I tend to just pick one thing I need to work on and just really focus on that one thing until I either get it, or run out of time. If you are having a hard time, slow down, take it very slow and think about what you are doing wrong, and how you can improve on it. And if you can't figure it out, ask us!! But my suggestion would be take it one technique at a time, and focus on it till you have improved an amount you are happy with.
so...
Anything specific you needed help with?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 17 2007, 10:30 PM
Instructor
It is normal to play bad after a series of good practise routines. You should rest a day or two, and you will be right on track. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Dec 17 2007, 11:23 PM
Cheers all.

I started working a bit on the Alternate Picking - Triads lesson. So far so good, goes really slow though. Only got the two first videos down and took like 45 mins. And by that I mean being able to play at a mediocre speed.

In short I need to practice everything but decided to start at the bottom with alternate picking and scales.

Will try and keep a log over how it goes with speed and stuff. Might just help. Problem Im having though is knowing if Im on time with the metronome. Im having a hard time focusing on both when it "ticks" and when Im hitting the notes and at higher speeds it feels like it will be purely impossible to hear if youre hitting it right or not.

Thanks for all the advice, and about the theory I was with andrew in the beginning writing a few lessons. Dont know where they went though smile.gif

Anyhoo, off to bed.

Take care

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 18 2007, 12:04 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Dec 17 2007, 06:23 PM) *
Cheers all.

I started working a bit on the Alternate Picking - Triads lesson. So far so good, goes really slow though. Only got the two first videos down and took like 45 mins. And by that I mean being able to play at a mediocre speed.

In short I need to practice everything but decided to start at the bottom with alternate picking and scales.

Will try and keep a log over how it goes with speed and stuff. Might just help. Problem Im having though is knowing if Im on time with the metronome. Im having a hard time focusing on both when it "ticks" and when Im hitting the notes and at higher speeds it feels like it will be purely impossible to hear if youre hitting it right or not.

Thanks for all the advice, and about the theory I was with andrew in the beginning writing a few lessons. Dont know where they went though smile.gif

Anyhoo, off to bed.

Take care

I think I missunderstood your post a bit. I didn't realize you've been around for a while. Sorry man...no offence I hope unsure.gif

I found the log idea a great one to see how your improving. A friend of mine suggested it and it has been a great asset for me to track my progress. Some stuff moved a lot quicker then others but progress is progress even if it's slow smile.gif

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Dec 18 2007, 12:05 AM

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Dec 18 2007, 02:32 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 18 2007, 12:04 AM) *
I think I missunderstood your post a bit. I didn't realize you've been around for a while. Sorry man...no offence I hope unsure.gif

I found the log idea a great one to see how your improving. A friend of mine suggested it and it has been a great asset for me to track my progress. Some stuff moved a lot quicker then others but progress is progress even if it's slow smile.gif

rok

None taken. Your tips and pointers work for any level of skill. I've looked around and though alot and I am working on a grand masterplan to kick some ass.

I have come to realise that even though I have played alot I havent actually gotten as far as I want to or could have. So Im going to start over, begin a new guitar career so to speak and will re-learn everything from scratch. It will be time consuming but I hope I will come out happier in the end.

I will start with alternate picking and tapping as these techniques are two of the more essential techniques from my point of view. Im going to start browse around and get some lessons down on paper / bookmarked and then start the training program.

It feels kinda wierd keeping a log but will try and see if I can keep at it.

All the best!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 18 2007, 03:22 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Dec 17 2007, 05:23 PM) *

Hey Steel, they are still on the theory board smile.gif

Pentatonic 101
Major Scales 101

How about some more if you have the time?

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 18 2007, 03:47 PM
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Dec 17 2007, 05:46 PM) *
Well hello again!

Sorry to hear you're feeling disheartened, hopefully I can give you some advice on that.
Personally I think sitting for hours and doing exercises is great but ONLY if you are feeling very motivated and wanting to improve your technique. If you feel you are lacking in motivation I would strongly advise you seek some inspiration that will make you want to push yourself further.
I would therefore advise you to get yourself out to gigs of musicians you enjoy, watch videos of their performances and try to learn some of their songs and techniques. When I was first learning, for me this was the most rewarding aspect of playing. Then when I felt extremely positive about guitar, thats when I started to sit for hours on end playing to a metronome.

So my point is, don't think that the only way to learn guitar is through exercises and strict practice regimes! Learning an instrument should be fun and rewarding, as well as productive. Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not trying to discourage you from playing exercises, but make sure you get a balance between exercises and jamming, improvising, learning songs etc. Because lessons on their own can get boring, and if we only played exercises we wouldn't be musicians, just mechanics!

Hope that helps
David

This post has been edited by David.C.Bond: Dec 18 2007, 03:48 PM

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Dec 18 2007, 04:09 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 18 2007, 03:22 PM) *
Hey Steel, they are still on the theory board smile.gif

Pentatonic 101
Major Scales 101

How about some more if you have the time?

There they are. Cheers!
If i have the time sure but right now I just want to play some for myself, spend time with my girl and then eventually get back in the green clothes. But as soon as Im off the hook in the military I'll see if I cant find some wierd theory noone really needs and make a lesson on it wink.gif

QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 18 2007, 03:47 PM) *
Sorry to hear you're feeling disheartened, hopefully I can give you some advice on that.
Personally I think sitting for hours and doing exercises is great but ONLY if you are feeling very motivated and wanting to improve your technique. If you feel you are lacking in motivation I would strongly advise you seek some inspiration that will make you want to push yourself further.
I would therefore advise you to get yourself out to gigs of musicians you enjoy, watch videos of their performances and try to learn some of their songs and techniques. When I was first learning, for me this was the most rewarding aspect of playing. Then when I felt extremely positive about guitar, thats when I started to sit for hours on end playing to a metronome.

So my point is, don't think that the only way to learn guitar is through exercises and strict practice regimes! Learning an instrument should be fun and rewarding, as well as productive. Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not trying to discourage you from playing exercises, but make sure you get a balance between exercises and jamming, improvising, learning songs etc. Because lessons on their own can get boring, and if we only played exercises we wouldn't be musicians, just mechanics!

Hope that helps
David

Thanks David you're absolutely correct. I will try and get some inspiratuion somewhere but my problem is that I get so exalted and really want to play some stuff I just heard that I get frustrated when I cant manage it myself. That's why i want to improve my technique a great deal first so I then can start getting some songs under my fingers.

I do like to watch performances to get inspiration, even the dumbass movie School of Rock gets me into playing mode haha.

Anyway it feels good to get respones from GMCers, always the best encouragement for me.

and now its time to plug in and put some random backing track on and jam in what probably will be the wrong key for a few minutes then its time to get serious smile.gif

Btw, off-topic, why is the chat room never populated?

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 18 2007, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Dec 18 2007, 03:09 PM) *
There they are. Cheers!
If i have the time sure but right now I just want to play some for myself, spend time with my girl and then eventually get back in the green clothes. But as soon as Im off the hook in the military I'll see if I cant find some wierd theory noone really needs and make a lesson on it wink.gif
Thanks David you're absolutely correct. I will try and get some inspiratuion somewhere but my problem is that I get so exalted and really want to play some stuff I just heard that I get frustrated when I cant manage it myself. That's why i want to improve my technique a great deal first so I then can start getting some songs under my fingers.

I do like to watch performances to get inspiration, even the dumbass movie School of Rock gets me into playing mode haha.

Anyway it feels good to get respones from GMCers, always the best encouragement for me.

and now its time to plug in and put some random backing track on and jam in what probably will be the wrong key for a few minutes then its time to get serious smile.gif

Btw, off-topic, why is the chat room never populated?

Haha thats a great film!
Yeah man, just jam it out, and as the jazzers say, if you hit a wrong note, hit it again the second time round and it becomes a right note wink.gif
David

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 18 2007, 05:07 PM
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Dec 17 2007, 12:46 PM) *
Well hello again!

Cheers,

This is what I do on a regualr basis:

1: 5 Mins: Stretch out my hands and fingers, I cannot stress how important this is to avoid injury.

2: 15 mins: 1st fret thru 5th fret holding down all fingers starting on the lower E string then moving one string at a time up to the high E string and back. 1-2-3-4, then 2-3-4-5, then 3-4-5-6, then 4-5-6-7, then 5-6-7-8 then back again, 5-6-7-8, 4-5-6-7 etc.. Make sure to hold down each finger until it's time to move to the next string. Builds up finger/hand strength and keeps your fingers low.

3: 15 Mins: Start this one on the high E string and move string by string down to the low E string and back: 4-8-5-9-4-8-5-9, 8-12-9-13-8-12-9-13. I call this the little finger workout.

4: 5 Mins: Re-stretch all fingers and hands.

5: 20 Mins: Pentatonic scales: Pick three that you like and practice them for 10 minutes each.

This would end a 1 hour workout:

6: 30 Mins: Chords both open and Barre, pick ones that you have the most problems with and practice them. I write down which ones give me the most problems and I practice switching between them.

7: 30 - 45 Mins: Speed drills, whatever you want them to be, doubles, triplets, quads etc.. Just make sure that you practice them with the metronome and have your timing exact:

8: 30 - 45 mins: Gmc Exercises and Lessons: Again whatever level you're at pick the lessons you want to practice and go for it.

This would end a 2 - 2.5 hour workout.

9: No Time limit: Improvisation, Music writing, Song playing, licks etc..

10: 15 Mins: Gear Maintenance: Wiping off the guitar, putting guitar etc in it's case and then putting the case away etc..

I don't have a permanent place to practice so I always have to take my case out and then setup my amp and guitar in order to practice, of course when I'm done I have to do this in reverse. I never plan enough time to do this and I'm always in too much of a hurry to do whatever it is I have to do when I'm supposed to be done practicing (usually picking my wife up from work). I always go past my time to end my practice and end up picking my wife up late. (she loves that) :0!!!

This is a typical workout for me. of course i would make sure that you have a metronome and a good guitar tuner. Nothing is worse than playing a guitar that is out of tune and you are out of time with the piece you're trying to play. I also highly reccomend a weekly lesson with a school trained musician that is up on whatever style guitar it is you want to play. This gives you a weekly sounding board on your playing, the teacher can teach you little things that you cannot get online (regardless of how good the site is). The teacher can also make little or large corrections to bad habits you may be getting and improve your playing a lot. Remember, if you and the teacher are not gelling by the third lesson, drop them and get a new teacher, if not you will just be throwing good money after bad.

This is my two cents on this, good luck and I hope to hear you real soon.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Dec 18 2007, 05:18 PM
QUOTE (RobM @ Dec 18 2007, 05:07 PM) *
This is what I do on a regualr basis:

1: 5 Mins: Stretch out my hands and fingers, I cannot stress how important this is to avoid injury.

2: 15 mins: 1st fret thru 5th fret holding down all fingers starting on the lower E string then moving one string at a time up to the high E string and back. 1-2-3-4, then 2-3-4-5, then 3-4-5-6, then 4-5-6-7, then 5-6-7-8 then back again, 5-6-7-8, 4-5-6-7 etc.. Make sure to hold down each finger until it's time to move to the next string. Builds up finger/hand strength and keeps your fingers low.

3: 15 Mins: Start this one on the high E string and move string by string down to the low E string and back: 4-8-5-9-4-8-5-9, 8-12-9-13-8-12-9-13. I call this the little finger workout.

4: 5 Mins: Re-stretch all fingers and hands.

5: 20 Mins: Pentatonic scales: Pick three that you like and practice them for 10 minutes each.

This would end a 1 hour workout:

6: 30 Mins: Chords both open and Barre, pick ones that you have the most problems with and practice them. I write down which ones give me the most problems and I practice switching between them.

7: 30 - 45 Mins: Speed drills, whatever you want them to be, doubles, triplets, quads etc.. Just make sure that you practice them with the metronome and have your timing exact:

8: 30 - 45 mins: Gmc Exercises and Lessons: Again whatever level you're at pick the lessons you want to practice and go for it.
This would end a 2 - 2.5 hour workout.

9: No Time limit: Improvisation, Music writing, Song playing, licks etc..

10: 15 Mins: Gear Maintenance: Wiping off the guitar, putting guitar etc in it's case and then putting the case away etc..

I don't have a permanent place to practice so I always have to take my case out and then setup my amp and guitar in order to practice, of course when I'm done I have to do this in reverse. I never plan enough time to do this and I'm always in too much of a hurry to do whatever it is I have to do when I'm supposed to be done practicing (usually picking my wife up from work). I always go past my time to end my practice and end up picking my wife up late. (she loves that) :0!!!
This is a typical workout for me. of course i would make sure that you have a metronome and a good guitar tuner. Nothing is worse than playing a guitar that is out of tune and you are out of time with the piece you're trying to play. I also highly reccomend a weekly lesson with a school trained musician that is up on whatever style guitar it is you want to play. This gives you a weekly sounding board on your playing, the teacher can teach you little things that you cannot get online (regardless of how good the site is). The teacher can also make little or large corrections to bad habits you may be getting and improve your playing a lot. Remember, if you and the teacher are not gelling by the third lesson, drop them and get a new teacher, if not you will just be throwing good money after bad.

This is my two cents on this, good luck and I hope to hear you real soon.

Awesome! Just the type of answer I was hoping for.

Im going to try that one out and see if it works out but it looks really good.

Cheers dude laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:36 AM