> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Monkeydathos's Technique & Creative Concepts, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2017, 04:30 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, there is some kind of circular motion that I recommend doing with your right hand. I've seen it in many guitarists when I was a teenager and I realized that it helped to make the movement smoother. Check out Yngwie's right hand:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 14 2017, 04:13 PM
GMC:er

I feel like that circular motion was one of the missing links. After trying for a bit, it kinda feels more natural switching from descending and ascending motion with the right hand. Alas, I still need a tons of practicing. Regardless thanks for showing it. It was really helpful!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 14 2017, 04:13 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 15 2017, 05:11 PM
Here's day 2 of sweep picking.

I still gotto keep in mind the circular motion, otherwise my brain defaults my picking hand to regular vertical motion.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 16 2017, 12:32 PM
Sweep picking 3!
Was having one of those days where every thing sounded bad, so yeh was a short 2 hours practice session.

There's is still some issues with muting and again the circular motion it is still something that doesn't come natural as I still default to the initial vertical motion. But I think nothing I can not fix

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 16 2017, 12:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 16 2017, 09:17 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that looks much better now!! This is definitely the direction. Now you just need more diary practice. Please keep on the hard work and the regular posts here.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 18 2017, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 16 2017, 09:17 PM) *
Hi mate, that looks much better now!! This is definitely the direction. Now you just need more diary practice. Please keep on the hard work and the regular posts here.

I will do.
I might record over several days and post it as a compilation, rather than spamming!
Also this has opened a lot of new doors. For some reason after you told me about the circular montion, my brain said Eureka laugh.gif
So thank you so very much. cool.gif

Also began to work out on the things I initial said a few months ago. Some Chon-Style licks, songs (Fluffy and Perfect Pillow) mainly the parts where it requires sweep and legato and switching quickly and smoothly between chord voicings.
Still a toon of work, but at this rate I can see myself pretty satisfied techquine wise in 2-3 years from now.

A little bit off topic, I was actually inspired by your Justin Bieber lesson to work on something I've been wanting to do for agessss now.

To be honest, I don't think I can pull it off. unsure.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4GcwaWt7jw Stuff like this is mega nostalgic to me and always makes me go back to my early teen years and what not. So I would like to work on an solo guitar arragement similar to what Mateus does with pop songs.

I am not sure how to handle this. unsure.gif I get the basics:
-Learning the melody
-Learning chord progression.

But I am having a tough time, making it interessing it or worth to some one else's ears.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 18 2017, 04:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 18 2017, 04:44 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, great to know again that the circular tip has been a mind opener! That's the good thing about being guided by a mentor, you save a lot of time with these details that are essential.

About the arrangement. As everything, it's a matter of practice. You don't have to force yourself to create the best arrangement ever. You need to do a lot of this until you'll start feeling that your work is at the level of your heroes. Practice applies for everything, check out this thread: LINK

You are on the right track with those two elements. Melody and chord progression. In order to make this interesting you'll want to get into drop 2 and 3 shapes, as well as triads and inversions. Also, trying different rhythms is the key. Listen to a lot of this stuff an analize how guys as Asato, and others re-arrange the pieces. What things they change, and what things they keep.

This guys is doing creative things with harmonics and slap:

and Todd is a monster:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 18 2017, 05:12 PM
Ye that's the stuff! I am thinking on working on a repertoire (1-2 hours), just in case I have to grab a guitar and entertain a crowd.
Guess I will fiddle with the song this week and post something for you to judge.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 19 2017, 03:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 18 2017, 01:12 PM) *
Ye that's the stuff! I am thinking on working on a repertoire (1-2 hours), just in case I have to grab a guitar and entertain a crowd.
Guess I will fiddle with the song this week and post something for you to judge.

That sounds great! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 19 2017, 05:19 PM
Day 6 of sweeps

I tried to turn up the speed a bit, just to try and get the feeling on my hands. (0:36). Far from perfect!
Still trying with the 3 strings sweeps for now, have yet to tackle with barred versions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 20 2017, 01:56 PM
Instructor
Wou man!! This is evolving really quickly!!! As you could experiment in the second half of the video, there is a moment in which this technique can go really fast and sounds like "magic". The moment is very natural and we are able to do it really fast, the key is to be able to connect both hands, and it's happening here. Well done friend!! smile.gif

One more tip that I would give based on my own experience. Start practicing 4, 5 and 6 strings sweeps. The more strings sweeps you practice, the easier the less string ones will feel. That's what happened to me.

The double voice is confusing but I strongly recommend this exercise:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 20 2017, 06:23 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 20 2017, 01:56 PM) *
Wou man!! This is evolving really quickly!!! As you could experiment in the second half of the video, there is a moment in which this technique can go really fast and sounds like "magic". The moment is very natural and we are able to do it really fast, the key is to be able to connect both hands, and it's happening here. Well done friend!! smile.gif

One more tip that I would give based on my own experience. Start practicing 4, 5 and 6 strings sweeps. The more strings sweeps you practice, the easier the less string ones will feel. That's what happened to me.

The double voice is confusing but I strongly recommend this exercise:

Sounds like a plan! I will keep practicing.

Btw its official! Went to the music school today to finish all the papers.
Start the school 25 of September. My schedule goes something like.

Sunday: 11:30 - 13:30, I have Jazz History Class.

Monday: 10:30 - 11:30 Guitar Technique Class.
11:30 - 12:30 Theory/ Composition and Arrangement Class
12:30 - 13:30 Ear/Rhythm Class
14:00 - 15:30 Combo Class (Which is kinda Jam Class, where you play with other musicians)

In the first 2 years all classes are in a shared class room with other people. The last ones are 1-on-1

And that's it.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 20 2017, 06:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 21 2017, 03:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 20 2017, 02:23 PM) *
Sounds like a plan! I will keep practicing.

Btw its official! Went to the music school today to finish all the papers.
Start the school 25 of September. My schedule goes something like.

Sunday: 11:30 - 13:30, I have Jazz History Class.

Monday: 10:30 - 11:30 Guitar Technique Class.
11:30 - 12:30 Theory/ Composition and Arrangement Class
12:30 - 13:30 Ear/Rhythm Class
14:00 - 15:30 Combo Class (Which is kinda Jam Class, where you play with other musicians)

In the first 2 years all classes are in a shared class room with other people. The last ones are 1-on-1

And that's it.

That sounds very exciting!!!!! All the best friend.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 9 2017, 08:25 PM
Hi Gab.
Gonna be inactive for a while. working in a fruit farm for the next couple of weeks.
I think be able to pay the school's monthly feed for a whole year, with this summer work plus some of my savings!
Will probably post a video about the topics we were working on, somewhere around September

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2017, 08:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 9 2017, 04:25 PM) *
Hi Gab.
Gonna be inactive for a while. working in a fruit farm for the next couple of weeks.
I think be able to pay the school's monthly feed for a whole year, with this summer work plus some of my savings!
Will probably post a video about the topics we were working on, somewhere around September

Hi mate, thanks for notifying. I'll expect for that video! All the best my friend.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 13 2017, 02:02 PM
Got a day off biggrin.gif

Managed to play guitar for the first time in week and half. My fingers and arms are full of tiny stabs from climb trees and what not, Its kinda hard for me to play atm. So super rusty.
Bending strings is impossible right now without feeling pain. tongue.gif

Alas I did some recording on 5 and 3 strings sweeps workout that I came up with.

Also began to practice ear training. Born in an age of tabs and guitar pros I neglected that aspect of music, technology is an wonderful thing but it does makes us lazy giving the opportunity. biggrin.gif

For the longest time I wanted to practice it, but had no idea exactly how. So after a little while I stumble upon the idea of using reference points. Like a 5th is the first interval of the Star wars theme. 4th same thing but on that wedding song, so on and so on.

Resuming, I am getting pretty good in identifying 5ths and 4ths!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Aug 13 2017, 02:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2017, 06:08 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to see that you are working hard! You'll see amazing results and you'll be very proud of having investing your time so wisely. smile.gif

I like the fact that everything sound clean, clear and with good pitch on your video. It's very enjoyable. The workout is great, you should share this type of stuff with tabs at Insta or Youtube. It' would be really appreciated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 13 2017, 07:56 PM
Ye! I am thinking on making a Facebook page to advertise my 1-on-1 lessons. And was thinking on posting among other things that I am planing, licks and so on.
About Insta, can you upload video from you computer or is it restricted from whatever phone with insta app you using?

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Aug 13 2017, 08:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2017, 03:24 PM
Instructor
From what I know, the only way to upload videos to insta is from your phone. However, I've tried an android emulator in the past that allowed me to share pictures. Do some research to see if there is something new for it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 26 2017, 04:12 PM
So I've began working on that repertoire (chord melody style) that I've mentioned.

I've decided to started with something simple to practice my ear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXEnAuzjgKU

I've figure and isolated the melody:
https://youtu.be/1kwN5a5MxUE

But I am having a really hard time figuring out the backing chords
Do you have any advice on how to work out backing chords by ear? I really don't want to cheat my way looking at sheets so on, so on.

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:11 AM