Island Of Hidden Samurai (original
Vulpine
Oct 28 2012, 02:38 PM
GMC:er
Here goes another vid I know yall are getting tired of me lol j/k ; ) In this video I've focused mostly on shredding which i've only been learning/practicing for about 4-5 months now n still have a long way to go but its def improved since day1 (thanx to GMC) anyway would love to hear some feed back on this = )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZKZj8AjQUc...eature=youtu.be

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Vulpine: Oct 28 2012, 02:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 29 2012, 09:02 PM
Instructor
Hey man, great title and I love the sword pic smile.gif

I like the add9 chords you're using as backing. I assume you're mainly using the Lydian mode over that ?

You've got some good basics there. You're obviously getting to grips with the 3 note per string type patterns which is good because it enables you to really start wandering all over the fretboard, which you're doing cool.gif

Try to work with developing your licks so the timing is more precise. I know there's no drums or percussion on that track but the riff is played to a click presumably so the listener can tell if it's out of time etc. Sometimes it doesn't matter if fast licks stick to the timing or not.. people like Yngwie and Marty Friedman play stuff that cascades over the beat in a flurry of fast notes. Legato also enables you to do this really well. Satriani style licks often seem to have a timing of their own. But whether playing something with strict timing or letting it float over the beat, you can still be in control of the tempo of the licks. So, for example, you might start the lick and end it in a controlled manner but the notes in between can be a bit more flowing and relaxed.

Hopefully that makes sense ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 30 2012, 12:41 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! I like the overall feel of your composition, as well as the tittle. biggrin.gif The chord progression is cool and the different solo sections evolve in a cool way. The problem appears in the second half because you still have to work on the fast licks, mostly on both hands synch. I can note that you have your music in your mind but still need to work on technique to take your composition to a top level.
Thanks for sharing your music here, keep on working on it and always feel free to ask us for feedback. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Oct 30 2012, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 29 2012, 08:02 PM) *
Hey man, great title and I love the sword pic smile.gif

I like the add9 chords you're using as backing. I assume you're mainly using the Lydian mode over that ?

O.O oh snap ur right Is interesting u mentioned this cuz the whole time I was looking at this as Bb Aeolian just didnt play the root note as much in the rhythm part but wow this would make it a F# Lydian I think cool.gif which is a mode that has been difficult to connect with

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 29 2012, 11:41 PM) *
Hi mate! I like the overall feel of your composition, as well as the tittle. biggrin.gif The chord progression is cool and the different solo sections evolve in a cool way. The problem appears in the second half because you still have to work on the fast licks, mostly on both hands synch. I can note that you have your music in your mind but still need to work on technique to take your composition to a top level.
Thanks for sharing your music here, keep on working on it and always feel free to ask us for feedback. smile.gif

thank you Gabriel for the critique Will continue to work on your Technique Intense course = )

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 31 2012, 10:01 AM
Instructor
Ooooo biggrin.gif You entered my domain tongue.gif Nice katana pic mate!

As Ben said, timing is crucial and you can accomplish A LOT by having licks based on great timing, even though you won't be wondering on the neck for minutes. Alternate melodies with shredding for great results wink.gif I remember Richie Kotzen saying something about using fast licks as a means to get somewhere on the neck where he would emphasize on a melody for instance.

Keep up the good work and check out my swords biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 31 2012, 10:01 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 31 2012, 11:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 31 2012, 09:01 AM) *
I remember Richie Kotzen saying something about using fast licks as a means to get somewhere on the neck where he would emphasize on a melody for instance.

That's a good way of looking at it... always use fast licks as a way of reinforcing or backing up the melody,rather than being the main feature !

However, that sounds rather like a rule... and in music there are no rules ! biggrin.gif

So it always comes down to the individual.. no one solo requires exactly the same touch, so this is where your personal experience and wisdom will serve you well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Oct 31 2012, 04:45 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 31 2012, 09:01 AM) *

wow that is AWESOME!!! cool.gif thanx for sharing hehe I like the color

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 31 2012, 07:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 31 2012, 06:01 AM) *
Ooooo biggrin.gif You entered my domain tongue.gif Nice katana pic mate!

As Ben said, timing is crucial and you can accomplish A LOT by having licks based on great timing, even though you won't be wondering on the neck for minutes. Alternate melodies with shredding for great results wink.gif I remember Richie Kotzen saying something about using fast licks as a means to get somewhere on the neck where he would emphasize on a melody for instance.

Those swords look so beautiful!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 31 2012, 10:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 31 2012, 06:27 PM) *
Those swords look so beautiful!

Thanks Gabe! They are my practice swords! This Christmas I am getting a blunt one - Iaito and next year I will buy my first Shinken - that means a true cutting blade biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Vulpine @ Oct 31 2012, 03:45 PM) *
wow that is AWESOME!!! cool.gif thanx for sharing hehe I like the color

biggrin.gif Thanks man! The small one is a Kodachi and it's made out of red oak while the big one is a tachi. Together they form the Daisho - meaning big and small. I am currently learning tachi techniques and after that I will study kodachi techniques. After this, both swords, one in each hand - Nito.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 1 2012, 09:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 31 2012, 10:17 AM) *
That's a good way of looking at it... always use fast licks as a way of reinforcing or backing up the melody,rather than being the main feature !

However, that sounds rather like a rule... and in music there are no rules ! biggrin.gif

So it always comes down to the individual.. no one solo requires exactly the same touch, so this is where your personal experience and wisdom will serve you well smile.gif

Oh, most definitely - NO RULES biggrin.gif But I remembered Richie's words, so I thought it would be an example of a good approach smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 1 2012, 09:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 1 2012, 08:13 AM) *
Oh, most definitely - NO RULES biggrin.gif But I remembered Richie's words, so I thought it would be an example of a good approach smile.gif

Oh yeah man, don't worry.. I wasn't saying that as a way of disagreeing,. merely backing it up smile.gif

The interesting thing is that we discover things that work etc but there are times sometimes where even our normal rules may not apply.. so I guess as our Master Bruce Lee would say 'Be like water, my friend' cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 1 2012, 09:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 1 2012, 08:40 AM) *
Oh yeah man, don't worry.. I wasn't saying that as a way of disagreeing,. merely backing it up smile.gif

The interesting thing is that we discover things that work etc but there are times sometimes where even our normal rules may not apply.. so I guess as our Master Bruce Lee would say 'Be like water, my friend' cool.gif

Bingo!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Nov 1 2012, 05:07 PM
my other vid *Star Nebula* the link has been fixed Cosmin , if u were free n wanted to take a look

scroll down to the second post once you've clicked this

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=46498

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 2 2012, 01:09 PM
Instructor
OOh! Got it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:14 PM