In Need Of Advices, about career and education
Fsgdjv
Jun 2 2009, 11:16 AM
GMC:er
Hey

The last year I've started dreaming about becoming a professional musician. Not in the rockstar kind of way, but with hard work etc, you know what I mean. Anyways, now it seems like I could be getting into an audio engineering education, as I just got a letter that I was one of the 31 persons to advance from the first test to the final interview. I think there are about 16 places on the education or something like that, so the thought of studiying that just became a lot more real to me compared to when there were 150 applicants for those 16 spots.

Anyways, that's what's making me think. I still want to become a good musician, with the ultimate goal of having it as a carrer, and in one way, going for this education for 3 years seems a lot like giving up to me. But the thing is, the education is at a music school and there's a lot of contact with music, so it's not like I'm moving from music completely. And I'm also aware of the fact that it's really hard to make a living out of music, especially since even some of our best and most awesome instructors here don't do it. But still, dedicating my life to something else for 3 years when I should be practicing guitar and music theory 100% seems like a waste of 3 years, even though I understand that it's probably the "right" or at least the safe thing to do. And I will still be able to practice music and guitar, I might even be able to start a band with some of the persons studying music there, but there's still something that makes me feel like this is giving up. Even though I can probably study music or something after those 3 years, but then I'm sure I'll have lots of depts for the loans I have to take to study etc.

Wow, this is a horrible wall of text that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it probably reflects the way I'm thinking very much. I just don't want to give up on my dream and think "what if" in 10 years. What I'm basically wondering is if you think that there's a chance to combine this education with that dream (for example, being an audio engineer makes it a lot easier to record and produce my own things etc, I know that but..), or if it's giving up.

Any replies would be great, this is a big deal for me and I don't know what to do. Worst part is that I need to be 100% sure that the audio thingy is what I want to do when I go there for the intreview, but the more I try to get in that state of mind, the more second thoughts I get. That might be me being stupid, but it might also be something I should worry about. I don't know. ANY advices or thoughts or anything would be immensely appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Jun 2 2009, 11:17 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 2 2009, 11:31 AM
Instructor
Sound engineering is a very cool profession and just like you said,
you won't be a lot away from music plus you'd hopefully still have enough time
to practice and work on yourself as a guitarist/musician.

I can tell you few things from my personal experience tho.
I "abandoned" studying here in Sarajevo cause there wasn't any kind
of course that'd cover contemporary music, not to mention sound engineering
or anything more advanced or modern.
And so I started diving into music business.
I played a lot, started my own bends, got in touch with some local major stars,
met most of the people who run major studios here etc.
So lets say "the education" hasn't been much important in my case,
why I did was lot of hard work, pushing and pushing.
There must be some luck as well but at the end it's just
how GOOD are you in the field that you work.
Degree is great but it doesn't promise you any kind of career IMO
unless you really, I mean really know what you're doing.
Yeah, degree is a must if you wanna continue working within
official educational system but for most other jobs you simple have to be good.
And you also need to keep nice and friendly relationships with
everyone in music industry, some things you'll simply have to let go
and keep calm in order to gain more in the future.

Of course it's pretty hard to compare Bosnia
with any other western country regarding music business and industry
but I believe some basic rules are kind a same.

Let me know if you would like to know more from what I've experienced. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
berko
Jun 2 2009, 11:34 AM
First of all: the real decision you'll have to make will only be after the final interview when your position among the 16 is certain. For now you should definitely try your best to get into this education!

Why I am saying this? Well, it's great to hear about your ambitions of wanting to become a pro musician, even making a living out of it. But you'll have to start somewhere, you can't always remain in your cozy bedroom practicing guitar all day long. IMO this course/school could be a HUGE opportunity to kick off. I don't know how much time (and money) it will consume but if you see that people studying at this course do get a music-related job afterward, then this can be one of your big opportunities in pursuing a musical career.

You should do your best to get in, and at least start the first year. Music engineering will give you a wide range of interesting knowledge - mixing, mastering, musical equipment, tones etc! This knowledge will be very important later on and you'll have a huge advantage compared to those who start a band and are trying to break into music industry. You'll probably have a lot of chance to meet people interested in music or even playing some kind of instrument! As you said, there is a great chance to form a band. And if you do so, this band will gather people who are not only talented in music or just like a certain type of music, but with whom you'll have a much broader overview of what's going on in the studio or in the music industry.

I hope you make it , this 3 years definitely isn't wasted time, I'd give an awful lot to have the same opportunity here.

And keep us updated cool.gif

This post has been edited by berko: Jun 2 2009, 11:36 AM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 2 2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the two great replies.

First of all, yes studying isn't the only way for a career, but since I feel that I need to improve a lot when it comes to music (especially in theory), a music school feels like a good place to start. Actually I think one of the main reasons I want to go to a music school is to get into an enviroment where there are a lot of people who have the same wievs etc on music as I have, and to hang out with better musicians than myself, so I can improve even more. I kind of realise that I still get the benefit of being in an awesome enviroment if I study the audio thingy there.

It's great to hear that it's possible without an education, Muris, but that also makes me doubt the audio engineering thingy a bit since I'll be leaving the band I have here. But I don't know if it's that bad for my career since I know there's virtually no chance at all to make a living out of a band, even a pretty succesful one.

And Berko, what you say really makes sense. Of course I know I don't have to decide anything untill after the interview, I just don't want to get to the interview and be unsure if I really want to study there. I want to be able to show them 100% commitment. And I realise that I'll still be able to practice, guitar, theory etc. Actually I know I'm probably really stupid for even thinking of this as something else than a huge opportunity for me, but that's just me getting in the way of myself I guess.

EDIT: actually, what's scaring me is not the fact that I might end up making a living out of something else than actually playing guitar, but the fact that I might just not have time to play guitar at all or something like that. And that looks extremely stupid when written down right now.

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Jun 2 2009, 11:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jun 2 2009, 11:49 AM
Instructor
Muris said it all as it is. I have the degree but I am trying to make it the same way as Muris. The degree can only help me if I want to work as a teacher. Music is the most exciting profession I can think of but at the same time it's the hardest one to count on a serious career and make living of it.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 2 2009, 11:52 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jun 2 2009, 12:49 PM) *
Muris said it all as it is. I have the degree but I am trying to make it the same way as Muris. The degree can only help me if I want to work as a teacher. Music is the most exciting profession I can think of but at the same time it's the hardest one to count on a serious career and make living of it.

Teacher is actually one of the things I'd really love to work as, but then again working as a sound engineer might be just as fun if not even more. It's just that I love learning new musical concepts etc, and that's what I fear I'll miss out on for 3 years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 2 2009, 11:55 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Go for something fun, an education that will lead to a job that you'll still enjoy 10-20 years from now.
A good income is swell, but without passion it's worth a lot less.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 2 2009, 11:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jun 2 2009, 12:48 PM) *
It's great to hear that it's possible without an education, Muris, but that also makes me doubt the audio engineering thingy a bit since I'll be leaving the band I have here. But I don't know if it's that bad for my career since I know there's virtually no chance at all to make a living out of a band, even a pretty succesful one.

Band is just one thing that you can be working on.
I play in few bands, give lessons, doing recording sessions etc.
And there are many bands out there doing just fine,
playing quite enough gigs to make living out of it,
cover bands or bands with original songs, doesn't matter,
but there are many.
You do need to make a step or few,
risk is sometimes very worthy, you never know what waits for you around the corner.
And don't forget to stay friends with your band even if you leave them. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Jun 2 2009, 12:20 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 2 2009, 12:02 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 2 2009, 12:55 PM) *
Go for something fun, an education that will lead to a job that you'll still enjoy 10-20 years from now.
A good income is swell, but without passion it's worth a lot less.

Thing is, my (very limited) experience of audio engineering stuff has been fun. If I didn't have music it'd probably be my dream job or whatever, but it doesn't come close to the sheer joy that is learning new things about music that I constantly do when I'm awake. Audio engineering seems like a good alternative, but not the best. And I don't really want to settle for the second best, but I'd love to settle for both, something I hope there's a possibillity for, but I don't know.

And Muris: To do recording sessions, and that stuff I need to get a bit (lot) better, and that's why I think an education is great, since it also helps for getting to know people in the industry etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 2 2009, 12:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
I agree with MikeM, i am 35 and have mortgage, family etc, once you are in a position like this and have responsibilities its really hard to change your whole work situation to something new.
I wish i had done something I enjoyed at a younger age and been able to develop that as a career, education is a great jumping off point but its not the only manner in which to develop.
At the end of the day mate, theres nothing worse than regret so take the chances whilst you are young, the path you start out from here will lead you in the direction you want, if not be the ultimate goal, I had an aquiantance who was in a band called Annie Hates Cordial who were doing very well but it all turned to rats, but from that he got into live sound and light engineering and now goes all over the world doing shows, studio work etc

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 2 2009, 12:09 PM
In the span of your whole life 3 years really isn't that long to sacrifice! Also, by studying this course you will be exposed to people that will become friends and useful contacts for the future! I'd say go start this course!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jun 2 2009, 02:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Audio engineering gives you another skill set within music. I come from the, "Stay in School," camp though. I graduated my first degree in the late 80's and was a professional athlete until a catastrophic knee injury ended that dream when I was 21 years old. At that point, I went on to become a physician. If I had not had my degree, my motivations may have lay elsewhere. Get the schooling. You can stand on your head for three years and not remember the struggle. If you become any good at sound engineering, you may find yourself with your own studio, playing in your own studio, recording your music in your own studio, making money recording others music with your own studio. Something to think about anyway...from the non-virtuoso opinion. smile.gif

Just my 2 cents...as I wait for a plane.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 2 2009, 03:38 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jun 2 2009, 01:09 PM) *
In the span of your whole life 3 years really isn't that long to sacrifice! Also, by studying this course you will be exposed to people that will become friends and useful contacts for the future! I'd say go start this course!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (NoSkill @ Jun 2 2009, 03:14 PM) *
Audio engineering gives you another skill set within music. I come from the, "Stay in School," camp though. I graduated my first degree in the late 80's and was a professional athlete until a catastrophic knee injury ended that dream when I was 21 years old. At that point, I went on to become a physician. If I had not had my degree, my motivations may have lay elsewhere. Get the schooling. You can stand on your head for three years and not remember the struggle. If you become any good at sound engineering, you may find yourself with your own studio, playing in your own studio, recording your music in your own studio, making money recording others music with your own studio. Something to think about anyway...from the non-virtuoso opinion. smile.gif

This is probably the way I try to see it, and right now it is the way I see it. Great to hear so many opinions on this, and for now I'm sure that I'll give 100% on the interview and hope for the best. I'm still far from getting in, but I'd much rather go to the interview and really really want to get in rather than just going and not really caring about the outcome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 3 2009, 01:12 AM
Instructor
The guy who produced our first album is professional full time sound engeneer and producer and he also plays guitar in a blues band. You can do both, and let the first option be your primary one. Try to do what you like mate and it will be alright smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jun 3 2009, 08:31 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
First of all, imagining that studying = no time for other things has nothing to do with reality. Really the only people I have met that spend all their time studying were people with some inner problems(like depression)/limited brain resources. I study law at my university, one of the most difficult and most time consuming things I could choose --- or so they say. With proper learning style I can't see how my studies would make me not to have time for guitar/other hobbies.

Another thing is --> You can always quit studies after one year. For example a friend on mine went to a music school, and after he learned all the necessary things to sing properly, he quit as the rest of the material he could have learn there was more less useless to him. So if the studies won't be rewarding enough for You, You can always change them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 3 2009, 05:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Jun 2 2009, 03:14 PM) *

Hey, it was a long reply, hope you didn't miss your flight??? laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jun 3 2009, 08:44 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Your dilemma, is not really as much of a "fork in the road" as you might be thinking.
You can do both and as you and others here have said, the audio engineering skills that you pick up will be a huge benefit in your music career as an instrumentalist as it progresses. Stay committed to both. Build relationships along the way and never give up, no matter what lies ahead.

As an old movie star once said: "When you get to a fork in the road ... take it" smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
dusty
Jun 3 2009, 08:53 PM
Music as an industry is a very fickle beast although there is one constant. musicians fade in and out of popularity/ demand, it is a very tough business to get to and stay at the top but qualified, skilled and talented sound engineers are always needed.
i am not saying shelve your musical ambitions, go to college and see what happens, just going to a school like that will open all sorts of doors in relation to opportunities to play with and learn from others musically but working towards a good qualification sounds like the formulation of a sound back up plan. (please pardon the pun) smile.gif

what ever you decide to do enjoy yourself and just be the best you can

--------------------
"smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:42 PM