Is This New Pedal Worth $750?
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2020, 04:23 AM
GMC:er
Many of you may have not heard of the CHASE BLISS, many of you may have heard tons about it. Depends on your sources of info I'm guessing. It's a boutique pedal that does a bunch of things in one pedal. It's a fuzz, it's an overdrive, it's a preamp, it's and EQ, it slices it dices it julianne cuts french fries! But really, it does not make fries. It does that other stuff. It sounds pretty darn good too! Is it worth $750? Will companies making boutique gear like this be able to survive when plugin versions of almost everything are available for free? When chinese versions of nearly everything are almost free? Is there a space for this in the market at all? Is this a viable product or a fantasy with a very short shelf life.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 3 2020, 06:16 AM
Learning Roadie
For some guitarists buying is mire of a compulsion than practising. They chase after tones that they think they need rather than working to master what they have.
Some of the TGP crowd (which I'm a part of so no sleight meant but I've been in the pedals subforum) will definitely get it part bragging rights, part curiosity etc

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 3 2020, 07:45 AM
You know who'll buy that? - Keyboard players.
They can keep it right up on top of a synth or elec piano and tweak while they play and between songs.
Probably great as an in-line effect for recording too.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2020, 02:33 AM
GAS. Yes indeed. It becomes almost a sickness. It ends up taking the place of actually playing guitar in some cases which seems insane. After all, the gear is there to support one as a player, not to replace one as a player. I get the bragging rights bit. I've fallen victim to that myself in the past. There was a time when having one of the original Pro Tone Bulb pedals with the spiff graphic on ones board lent a degree of near snobbery. I've been cultured since smile.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 3 2020, 01:16 AM) *
For some guitarists buying is mire of a compulsion than practising. They chase after tones that they think they need rather than working to master what they have.
Some of the TGP crowd (which I'm a part of so no sleight meant but I've been in the pedals subforum) will definitely get it part bragging rights, part curiosity etc

Good point!! I never even thought of that. Yeah, it would be a great tool for any keyboard player and the presets can be switched using the foot switches between songs.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 3 2020, 02:45 AM) *
You know who'll buy that? - Keyboard players.
They can keep it right up on top of a synth or elec piano and tweak while they play and between songs.
Probably great as an in-line effect for recording too.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 4 2020, 03:30 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 3 2020, 06:33 PM) *
Good point!! I never even thought of that. Yeah, it would be a great tool for any keyboard player and the presets can be switched using the foot switches between songs.

Keys guys were the one's who bought all the Moog pedals like the Mooger Fooger ring mod, phaser, delay, etc. Big boxes with proprietary power supplies, stereo ins and outs, multiple expression pedals, sliders and switches, etc.
Tough to deal with all that standing up and a waste if you only stomp on it for one sound. That kinda thing is meant to "tweak".

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2020, 05:39 AM
Another great point. I see those moog pedals now and again on a bass guy or key guys rig and other than that I've seen them mounted in a rack at one studio. I hear they are amazing pedals but also pricey as heck.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 3 2020, 10:30 PM) *
Keys guys were the one's who bought all the Moog pedals like the Mooger Fooger ring mod, phaser, delay, etc. Big boxes with proprietary power supplies, stereo ins and outs, multiple expression pedals, sliders and switches, etc.
Tough to deal with all that standing up and a waste if you only stomp on it for one sound. That kinda thing is meant to "tweak".

+Quote Post
zen
Jul 4 2020, 12:46 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
no pedal is worth that much, in my opinion.
if i had spare $750, I'd spend it on lessons instead.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 5 2020, 10:43 PM
It's about double what I've ever spend on a pedal to be sure. Still there are folks, as ken pointed out, like keyboard players who might get a lot of usage out out it. The company has not gone bankrupt yet so somebody is buying them. I don't think it's guitar players though. I've not seen many in pedal board rigs.

QUOTE (zen @ Jul 4 2020, 07:46 AM) *
no pedal is worth that much, in my opinion.
if i had spare $750, I'd spend it on lessons instead.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 6 2020, 07:08 AM
The two shops near me that carry the Chase Bliss, Earthquaker, Eventide, Walrus, Strymon, etc. high end 'pedals' are both geared more towards keys players and recordists.

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jul 6 2020, 05:54 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
750$ is about what I spent on my Helix LT (used), and compared: I would do that same trade 10/10 times instead of buying this pedal, as the Helix gives so insanely much more.

There is definitely a market, as people will always from suffer from GAS (myself included, though less now than before). Also, some guys have "too much" money wink.gif But even those two group combines will make out a tiny market, so no space to expand their production, me thinks.

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2020, 11:05 PM
All true. The HELIX LT does wads more for the same money. But there are always folks who want boutique pedals that are crazy pricey just to show them off. People pay $1,200 for a KLON Overdrive for example. It's a great drive, but in a mix can you tell the difference between that and a regular 808?

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jul 6 2020, 12:54 PM) *
750$ is about what I spent on my Helix LT (used), and compared: I would do that same trade 10/10 times instead of buying this pedal, as the Helix gives so insanely much more.

There is definitely a market, as people will always from suffer from GAS (myself included, though less now than before). Also, some guys have "too much" money wink.gif But even those two group combines will make out a tiny market, so no space to expand their production, me thinks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:50 PM