3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Line6 Toneport Ux2, Some questions...
Sigfridsson
Jan 18 2009, 12:57 AM
GMC:er
I've been trying to figure out some nice way to record some of my attempts to play solos etc over backing tracks, would be really nice to be able to hear how it actually sounds in the end to be able to find out what needs improvement etc.

Now I've seen the Toneport ux2 mentioned all over the forums and I've noticed quite a few of the instructors use it to record as well.

However as I quite recently moved my amp away to a rehearsal place I need something at home as well to be able to play, are you able to easily use the Toneport to work like say a Pod? Is it easy to configure? Are you able to save sound configurations on it to be able to use it without connecting it to the computer?

Also last question, are you able to hook up and record a electronical drumkit with it?

Hope someone could clear some of this up for me.
Thanks.

Update:
As promised I tried recording something with it, I'm really bad with the recording software still so it's a rather rough mix!

Hope you like it anyway, Attached File  riffage_mixdown_final.mp3 ( 841.66K ) Number of downloads: 308

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sigfridsson: Feb 8 2009, 03:47 AM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Eclipse I CTM Full Thickness, Ibanez RG470 with EMG81/85 pickups.
Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT XL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 18 2009, 01:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
1. the toneport is basicly a pod with less options that that you hook up to your Computer
-you have less amp models,effects,etc compared to a (more expensive) pod
-you have to have the computer running to play through it
2. You can play at home with it through speakers or headphones
3. The software (Gearbox/Pod Farm) is very user friendly, it's easy to dial in a tone
4. Of Course you can save your settings and sounds
5. You can record guitars, bass and vocals through the toneport but I am not sure if you can use an electrical drumkit with it, I think you directly record the drumkit through your soundcrad or usb...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 18 2009, 01:16 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Not to make this reply brief but Ivan did a great review on it. I think it will answer most questions you have.

Cheers, smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...port_Ux1_Review

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 18 2009, 01:28 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 18 2009, 01:16 AM) *
Not to make this reply brief but Ivan did a great review on it. I think it will answer most questions you have.

Cheers, smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...port_Ux1_Review

Great review!

In the end, what's the real difference between the ux1 and 2? Just the amount of inputs?

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 18 2009, 01:30 AM
QUOTE (Sigfridsson @ Jan 17 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Great review!

In the end, what's the real difference between the ux1 and 2? Just the amount of inputs?

Pretty much, other than the UX2 has phantom power which is nice for use with a condenser mic

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 18 2009, 01:46 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 18 2009, 01:30 AM) *
Pretty much, other than the UX2 has phantom power which is nice for use with a condenser mic

Ah well that's quite nice I guess if you wanna record Acoustic guitar I guess!

I was listening to some stuff people had recorded with it earlier and I was quite impressed with the tones you could get out of it at such a small price - I mean sure it's quite damn far away from a proper tube amp obviously, but still it seems that you get a lot for your money!

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 18 2009, 01:59 AM
QUOTE (Sigfridsson @ Jan 17 2009, 07:46 PM) *
I mean sure it's quite damn far away from a proper tube amp obviously, but still it seems that you get a lot for your money!

Yes indeed!! smile.gif Bought mine for $50 used off of ebay. Could not be more satisfied for what I spent! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 18 2009, 02:39 AM
Instructor
Toneport UX1 is indeed an awesome device. It really payed out for me, and serves the purpose great. One thing that is different from the POD is that you have to use it with PC. You cannot use it as a standalone device. It draws power via USB cable and it serves as a sound card/audio interface. It is not a modeler. You get modeler software with it called Gearbox that has same sounds as POD (but not all the sounds, you get some for free, and for additional packs you have to pay/upgrade). I never saw the need to upgrade tho, it works fine by default as well.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 18 2009, 01:50 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 18 2009, 02:39 AM) *
Toneport UX1 is indeed an awesome device. It really payed out for me, and serves the purpose great. One thing that is different from the POD is that you have to use it with PC. You cannot use it as a standalone device. It draws power via USB cable and it serves as a sound card/audio interface. It is not a modeler. You get modeler software with it called Gearbox that has same sounds as POD (but not all the sounds, you get some for free, and for additional packs you have to pay/upgrade). I never saw the need to upgrade tho, it works fine by default as well.

But this program Gearbox is included in the actual price?
Because really, I would just like to have access to the most common effects and a few different amp types to be able to get some variation to my sound depending on what you want to record!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jan 18 2009, 01:52 PM
Yes it is mate, I got the toneport ux2...awesome effects, great sound with gear box, and ableton live included as well !

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 18 2009, 02:10 PM
QUOTE (Nighthawk1 @ Jan 18 2009, 01:52 PM) *
Yes it is mate, I got the toneport ux2...awesome effects, great sound with gear box, and ableton live included as well !

Thanks for all the great and quick replies guys, will check one of our local stores tomorrow, if they don't have it I'll just order one!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 18 2009, 03:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Sigfridsson @ Jan 18 2009, 01:50 PM) *
But this program Gearbox is included in the actual price?
Because really, I would just like to have access to the most common effects and a few different amp types to be able to get some variation to my sound depending on what you want to record!

You it is included, will definitely be able to do that with toneport! I use ux2 for all my lessons..Its really a handy and versatile recording system ..And best of all - its very easy to use!
Notice that new toneports are not called Toneport anymore -rather "POD studio"..Its the basically same device though...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 18 2009, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 18 2009, 03:50 PM) *
You it is included, will definitely be able to do that with toneport! I use ux2 for all my lessons..Its really a handy and versatile recording system ..And best of all - its very easy to use!
Notice that new toneports are not called Toneport anymore -rather "POD studio"..Its the basically same device though...

That explains why I havent really been able to find the toneport on the sites I usually order from! Found it now tho, thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 18 2009, 09:43 PM
Instructor
Gearbox is included for free and so is Ableton Live DAW mate.

Also another thing to note is that Line6 has recently published a new version of Gearbox called "POD Farm". This software modeler is free as well, you can download it and use it with your Toneport device. It has the same sounds as Gearbox, but has a bit modern interface.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 18 2009, 09:58 PM
I found a site to order the Line6 POD studio ux2 for 180€, is that a decent price or should I keep searching?
That's with shipping included as well!

Also, does the actual sound have any delay? considering it has to pass through the computer via USB etc?
Also, is there any REAL difference between the ux1 and ux2 soundwise? because I just noticed a local shop that has one for around 130€ which doesn't seem that bad to me.
I did however read something about the ux2 having an input designed for guitars with active pickups or something in that line..

This post has been edited by Sigfridsson: Jan 18 2009, 11:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 19 2009, 12:34 AM
When I bought it last week it came with its normal software + Ableton Live Lite 7 and RiffWorks (didn't try them yet...)

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 19 2009, 12:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sigfridsson @ Jan 18 2009, 09:58 PM) *
I found a site to order the Line6 POD studio ux2 for 180€, is that a decent price or should I keep searching?
Also, does the actual sound have any delay? considering it has to pass through the computer via USB etc?
Also, is there any REAL difference between the ux1 and ux2 soundwise? because I just noticed a local shop that has one for around 130€ which doesn't seem that bad to me.
I did however read something about the ux2 having an input designed for guitars with active pickups or something in that line..

I think 180e for UX2 is a bit expensive, with or without shipping. IMO that UX1 in the store is much better option. I payed for mine something like that as well ~ 130e.
When you play there is NO (audible) delay. Light travels through cables at speed of light! The only part of the the signal chain where there are delays are in the CPU when working in a project, cause CPU has to do some calculations, but that is a minor latency, and it is different thing then the latency we are discussing here. Just make sure you plug your PC speakers into the Toneport (since that will be your sound card).
There are NO differences between UX2 and UX1 soundwise. They use the SAME modeling software ("Gearbox" or newer version "POD Farm"). Hardware inside both units is the same as well, and both units record 2 mono channels in multitrack. UX2 has 4 inputs, but records only 2, just like UX1. UX2 has 48V phantom power for condenser microphone and UX1 doesn't.
UX2 is not designed to accommodate guitars with passive pickups better than UX1. It has the same inputs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 19 2009, 12:40 AM

But - where? wink.gif
If you set your Toneport as a soundcard you won't get any delay... (it's called 'latency')

Also, is there any REAL difference between the ux1 and ux2 soundwise?

Talking soundwise - no, there's no difference... it's just it has a better support for microphones.

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 19 2009, 01:56 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor

Hmm that price for POD studio ux2 seems ok , in America its about 200$...
Yeah ux2 has a input with -12db PAD instrument in for signal that is hotter (from active pickups on bass/guitar , keyboards)..But I don't think its worth the investment...I would get the ux1..Should do the job well...

Regarding sound , gx , ux1 and ux2 sound exactly the same..Its just the preferance of inputs/outputs and Volume Meters etc...

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 19 2009, 01:57 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 19 2009, 08:51 AM
There we go, just ordered myself the Pod Studio ux1, 135€ with shipping included, feels like quite a reasonable price!

Thanks for all the help guys!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:28 PM