Guitar Project 3
snackajacks
Apr 2 2013, 04:13 PM
GMC:er
After finishing the bright pink guitar and the neon yellow ibanez I am going to create something new
I basically got another rg550 body ( no not again , yes again ) and a maple neck because I simply love these rg's
I am thinking about orange this time, but maybe black / white will be cool too.

Any ideas/suggestions from here? All of my fancy new hardware is going in here and it is going to be my new main guitar.
I think I have learned from the misstakes I made on the last projects and am able to create something nice.

I got all the parts so I only need the colorr biggrin.gif

Previous Project :

Cheers

Marc

Some inspiration I found as of now :

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
thefireball
Apr 2 2013, 05:28 PM
Learning Roadie
What about swirling? I think a black and orange swirl would be cool for the body. the headstock...might be hard to swirl but that could be black. The pickups could be white if you have them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 2 2013, 05:44 PM
I looked a couple of years ago at the method of swirling and while I do like the idea it can either be pretty or pretty horrible.
I like the idea of having that unique look that it brings but I don't know if it is what I am looking for.

Anyhow, thanks for reminding me of the swirling method, maybe I should test it on a cheap guitar that is lying around biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 2 2013, 05:46 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (snackajacks @ Apr 2 2013, 10:44 AM) *
I looked a couple of years ago at the method of swirling and while I do like the idea it can either be pretty or pretty horrible.
I like the idea of having that unique look that it brings but I don't know if it is what I am looking for.

Anyhow, thanks for reminding me of the swirling method, maybe I should test it on a cheap guitar that is lying around biggrin.gif

Ok, hope it works out - whatever you choose. smile.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 2 2013, 05:54 PM
update: this one got my attention

--------------------

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 2 2013, 07:17 PM
Well that escalated quickly, Went to the local supplier, got the paint I was looking for and all the stuff.
First layer of white base paint is drying as I type.

Bought Red/Orange Nitrocellulose, Pictures are coming up soon.

Meanwhile I am fixing an old Edge low pro bridge with some fresh new parts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 3 2013, 08:13 AM
First layer of red/orange done today and it looooks soo killer.
When I try to make a picture with the webcam, it isn't able to show the true color, so I will try to capture em later.

I think it is pretty close to the flare red.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 3 2013, 08:45 AM
Instructor
Nice stuff man! Why not push this to a point where you can start your own custom guitar paint job business? smile.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 3 2013, 09:20 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 3 2013, 07:45 AM) *
Nice stuff man! Why not push this to a point where you can start your own custom guitar paint job business? smile.gif

That sounds pretty nice smile.gif. Maybe one day...

Found out that I made the misstake of drying it in the morning, it was kind of cold so there are little cracks in the paint, so at first I though DISASTER, but it actually looks pretty cool, Orange with white cracks going through. Anyhow I have to wait 2 hours for the paint to dry and then I will decide to sand it and redo a layer, or just leave it like that.

Still, I am soo in love with the color. As I said pics are coming if I get my hands on a descent camera.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 3 2013, 10:30 AM
Here is a photo from the webcam, its really doesnt show it, maybe I should make a fast video

QUOTE (snackajacks @ Apr 3 2013, 09:24 AM) *
Here is a photo from the webcam, its really doesnt show it, maybe I should make a fast video

Here is a fast video, color from 0:25 is the closest capture of the right color

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 4 2013, 08:25 AM
Instructor
Hey, it looks beautiful mate! I don't see any cracks tho smile.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 4 2013, 10:01 AM
It worked out pretty good, I mounted a black pickguard on it with standard v7,v8,s2 pickups and after school
today I am going to give it some clearsprays. Really happy with the outcome of the guitar.

todo :

orange/green strap
colored pickup bubble
install low pro edge

The cracks are not that bad, I made some cracks even bigger because it looks kinda cool on the edges.
I am thinking wether I should respray the headstock or leave it black.

btw Cosmin. I am really digging that circle of fifths, after this schoolblock I want to focus a bit more on the theory

This post has been edited by snackajacks: Apr 4 2013, 10:01 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 4 2013, 10:38 AM
From my experience in Artwork...I think the cracking may have been caused by applying the top coat before the undercoat has fully dried. What happens is the top coat dries first and hold its place for a few hours until the coat under it continues to contract whilst drying. It can also be caused by a more oily base coat than top coat..in oil painting the rule is 'Fat over lean' to avoid subsequent cracking...cracking in the second case can result after a long time as the more oily lower layers release gases whilst continuing to dry and break through the dry top coat...Cracking can also occur if the layers are of uneven thickness...usually if there is a layer that's too thick.Its handy stuff to be aware of if you want to avoid or to choose cracking.You may already be aware of all of that....if so, apologies for butting in. smile.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 4 2013, 11:28 AM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Apr 4 2013, 09:38 AM) *
From my experience in Artwork...I think the cracking may have been caused by applying the top coat before the undercoat has fully dried. What happens is the top coat dries first and hold its place for a few hours until the coat under it continues to contract whilst drying. It can also be caused by a more oily base coat than top coat..in oil painting the rule is 'Fat over lean' to avoid subsequent cracking...cracking in the second case can result after a long time as the more oily lower layers release gases whilst continuing to dry and break through the dry top coat...Cracking can also occur if the layers are of uneven thickness...usually if there is a layer that's too thick.Its handy stuff to be aware of if you want to avoid or to choose cracking.You may already be aware of all of that....if so, apologies for butting in. smile.gif

totally true

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 5 2013, 08:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (snackajacks @ Apr 4 2013, 09:01 AM) *
It worked out pretty good, I mounted a black pickguard on it with standard v7,v8,s2 pickups and after school
today I am going to give it some clearsprays. Really happy with the outcome of the guitar.

todo :

orange/green strap
colored pickup bubble
install low pro edge

The cracks are not that bad, I made some cracks even bigger because it looks kinda cool on the edges.
I am thinking wether I should respray the headstock or leave it black.

btw Cosmin. I am really digging that circle of fifths, after this schoolblock I want to focus a bit more on the theory

Hehe, sounds like your project is coming along just nicely smile.gif Show us more pics as you progress and make sure you will attend on Thursday - we will work more with the circle and with chord progressions - minor ones this time smile.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 5 2013, 10:14 AM
thursday is written down in my calendar biggrin.gif
Today I am going home to finish the guitar and reassemble it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 6 2013, 11:46 AM
Instructor
I'll see you on Thursday mate wink.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 8 2013, 08:33 PM
Here it is finished :

Sooo

- Rewired Everything
- Refinished in Flare Red ( can't capture it on camera )
- New Tremolo Parts
- New Set-up

Up for the next project....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2013, 10:28 PM
Super congrats man!!!! smile.gif Looks awesome, tone demo!!!

QUOTE (snackajacks @ Apr 8 2013, 03:33 PM) *
Here it is finished :

Sooo

- Rewired Everything
- Refinished in Flare Red ( can't capture it on camera )
- New Tremolo Parts
- New Set-up

Up for the next project....

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2013, 08:08 AM
Instructor
Marc, it looks beautiful, but what about the headstock? It seems like it is a bit rough?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:53 AM