5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Tonyk - Impro-wise-note Choice Workout :)
Darius Wave
Nov 24 2013, 12:46 PM
Instructor
Hey there friend. You want to improve Your improvising so first a need a few different sample of You improvising to 3 tracks of different tempo, groove but pretty close to the music You like to play and listen most. Try to share with me what exactly do You feel while improvising - You thoughts about what's missing and details about what You think about just before starting to play and during smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tonyk
Nov 25 2013, 08:59 AM
GMC:er
Hey Darius
https://soundcloud.com/tonyk525/why-love-sad-improv
1st improv-Thinking Am triad via Am pentatonic.Trying to resolve to Emaj tones of last chord. Chord changes too quick for me to think about chord tones of G,F,C within progression.Over Amaj7/Dmaj7 playing A Ionian, again trying for chord tones.
https://soundcloud.com/tonyk525/bm-improv
2nd Improv-Again centred on Bm pent and looking for chord tones.Some theme variation.Aiming to include minor 3rd over Emin
https://soundcloud.com/tonyk525/blues-improv
3rd Improv-Still using my "safe" blues pentatonic.Trying to include 3rd and flat7 over IV chord.Using somes licks Ive used before.Second solo basically a 12 bar Ive been practising.
Not much colour in any solo.Cord tones I use over changes sound lacklustre and flat.Keep playing safe in my minor pentatonic shapes.Poor or no embelishment and poor connection between phrases.
Thanks Tony
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 24 2013, 11:46 AM) *
Hey there friend. You want to improve Your improvising so first a need a few different sample of You improvising to 3 tracks of different tempo, groove but pretty close to the music You like to play and listen most. Try to share with me what exactly do You feel while improvising - You thoughts about what's missing and details about what You think about just before starting to play and during smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 25 2013, 10:03 AM
Instructor
I have a good (or bad) news for ya smile.gif It will always be that way - we are limited by the speed of thinking which also realtes to more conditions like - being tired, having problems with focus etc...One day we play fantastic(?) other day we suck at guitar...it's just the way it is smile.gif

Now...how do we deal with it? We practice as many harmonic solutions as possible so later we execute whole licks instead of thinking about every single note. There are no perfect solutions for this. It's natural that we are not the i7 processors to think and execute the notes...while even more...trying top keep them sound good and in time smile.gif

Good idea is to create Your own simple licks over some chord changes - very short so You can remember it. Once You will use it often, You bacame able to launch it anytime You hear similar chord changes.

It's a matter of expirience - the of those licks/solutions/concepts You have...the more You can use easily in all Your improvisation

I think You make a nice progress with Your playing since the poor puppy collab. For now I think that You play to many notes so You don't give Yourself time to feel the mood and experiments with harmony. Try to play less - more will come through time smile.gif

+Quote Post
tonyk
Nov 25 2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks Darius.

This post has been edited by tonyk: Nov 25 2013, 10:46 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 25 2013, 10:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonyk @ Nov 25 2013, 10:23 AM) *
Thanks Darius.

One of cool ways to practice harmonic changes is to make simple and repeatable lick that cointains those note that changes in some chords. while playing it over and over You lear which notes changes on which chords smile.gif

+Quote Post
tonyk
Nov 26 2013, 05:10 AM

https://soundcloud.com/tonyk525/blues-improv-1

Hey Darius. Spent the arvo trying to come up with something for these first cords.Sounds lacklustre.Is it my lack of technique?
The notes I choose?.Especially when I resolve back to A, just sounds "dead". Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks tony

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 26 2013, 01:10 PM
Instructor
Shuffle is not an easy groove.You idea is very ok. I don't like the tone of bridge pickup for this particular style. Maybe try using neck position? Also...try to practice some triplets over this track - like constant 3 minutes of triples repeated a few times. It will help You to better dig into that groove. Then go back to this concept

+Quote Post
tonyk
Nov 27 2013, 10:09 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 26 2013, 12:10 PM) *
Shuffle is not an easy groove.You idea is very ok. I don't like the tone of bridge pickup for this particular style. Maybe try using neck position? Also...try to practice some triplets over this track - like constant 3 minutes of triples repeated a few times. It will help You to better dig into that groove. Then go back to this concept

https://soundcloud.com/tonyk525/blues-improv-2-1
Hey Darius.did another take.added triplet line(articulation poor) and recorded thru standard Amplitude3 preset instead of my own amp into M-Audio interface.What can I do to make this great.Changes in my technique?,bends?,note choice? thanks Tony

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 27 2013, 12:34 PM
Instructor
You phrasing is much better now and those ideas are tasty - just need some polishing smile.gif Like the tone much better - good bite smile.gif Also the triplet feel in this one is more groovey. Try to focus on...bending pitch and tuning Your guitar. Try to tune it on frets (not open strings) Recheck a few times with the same picking and left hand strenght as You use while playing this particular part. I don't think the articulation is poor...there is a potential - You just need to make it more precise smile.gif

+Quote Post
tonyk
Nov 28 2013, 07:56 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 27 2013, 11:34 AM) *
You phrasing is much better now and those ideas are tasty - just need some polishing smile.gif Like the tone much better - good bite smile.gif Also the triplet feel in this one is more groovey. Try to focus on...bending pitch and tuning Your guitar. Try to tune it on frets (not open strings) Recheck a few times with the same picking and left hand strenght as You use while playing this particular part. I don't think the articulation is poor...there is a potential - You just need to make it more precise smile.gif

Thanks Darius.Will work on your suggestions and get back to you.Any suggestions on better way to embelish that first bend from G to A.Or would another note have more impact?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 28 2013, 08:58 AM
Instructor
Video of You playing this part would be very usefull- it would help me to detect potential causes of some issues. Is it possible for You to make a short vid?

+Quote Post
tonyk
Nov 28 2013, 09:02 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 28 2013, 07:58 AM) *
Video of You playing this part would be very usefull- it would help me to detect potential causes of some issues. Is it possible for You to make a short vid?

Ill make one tomorrow.thanks

+Quote Post
tonyk
Nov 29 2013, 08:45 PM
QUOTE (tonyk @ Nov 28 2013, 08:02 AM) *
Ill make one tomorrow.thanks

Finally got it uploaded.Bends are poor.That first one should make more of an impact.Pitch poor.Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc69Rx3IlkE...eature=youtu.be

This post has been edited by tonyk: Nov 29 2013, 08:58 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 29 2013, 10:21 PM
Instructor
Ok...very first thing....You right hand is Your limiter. It's time for some hard working period with Your right hand position. You play like "from the air". There are no stable resting points and no solid position for muting unwanted strings. Strings muting job is very often twice as hard as the lick we actually play. Most of player usually rest their hand on the bridge...or on the low strings while playing on the first 3. You can watch Ben's speed picking tips (we both are similar at this point) He talks about what's most important - all the angles of pick, wrist, hand etc.

Warning - You will not be able to feel much difference immediately but it's an investition for future progress

+Quote Post
tonyk
Nov 29 2013, 10:36 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 29 2013, 09:21 PM) *
Ok...very first thing....You right hand is Your limiter. It's time for some hard working period with Your right hand position. You play like "from the air". There are no stable resting points and no solid position for muting unwanted strings. Strings muting job is very often twice as hard as the lick we actually play. Most of player usually rest their hand on the bridge...or on the low strings while playing on the first 3. You can watch Ben's speed picking tips (we both are similar at this point) He talks about what's most important - all the angles of pick, wrist, hand etc.

Warning - You will not be able to feel much difference immediately but it's an investition for future progress

Thanks Darius. Last few years I had been taught to use side of thumb to mute thicker strings and not use palm (unless palm muting). Do you think I need to get rid of this method or maybe Im not doing it well enough.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 30 2013, 01:14 PM
Instructor
I think it's not about leaving away some skills You got before...it's more about adding something more so You could choose and use whatever You like depending on the situation. Thumb muting concept is ok. I also do it this way but when You want to play some harder stuff - especially those blues mood You lately work on, then You will need some more, very solid resting points.

My advices:

1. Try to rotate Your wrist so Your hand will rest on the low strings while You play on high
2. When You play on low string You can rest Your hand behind the bridge (just like pal muting but resting on the "not in use" strings part" or saddle so You actually won't mute any strings. In this situation Yoiu'll use index finger from the left hand to mute all higher strings below the one You play at the moment.

Those two will also help You to get better muting for raking, which is very popular in blues playing

+Quote Post
tonyk
Dec 1 2013, 04:02 AM

Thanks Darius.Ive tried to improve right hand as you suggested.Is this in the direction you advised.Cant seem to get the wrist flexion and keep hand anchored over bridge that you and Ben were talking about.What do you think.
Thanks Tony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po1IjphDj38

This post has been edited by tonyk: Dec 1 2013, 04:03 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 1 2013, 08:08 PM
Instructor
I made You a short video - easier to explain this way wink.gif

Attached File  tonyk_hand_position.wmv ( 36.42MB ) Number of downloads: 219

+Quote Post
tonyk
Dec 1 2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks for vid.Is muting of unwanted string noise done by side of palm as you move to thinner strings?you mentioned that you sometimes use thumb muting.which techniques would you use it on.thanks again

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 1 2013, 10:47 PM
Instructor
Exactly. I just rotate my palm but regular pal muting position works for this too...the basic idea is to move Your hand across the saddles.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:36 PM