2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Modern V.s. Old Music
radarlove1984
Apr 8 2007, 02:11 AM
GMC:er
Excellent point about the record companies. The radio stations are almost equally involved in this, too.

Of coarse radios play the top 40 hits, but what about classic rock stations? Part of the reason all of us old time rockers never hear anything new is because the "Classic" rock stations are afraid to play it.

Bob Seger, John Mellencamp, Journey, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, David Gilmore, Robert Plant, Boston, and Tom Petty have released brand new albums in the last few years. Some weren't groundbreaking, but most were great.

Tom Petty's last album (Highway Companion) is one of the best he's ever made. David Gilmore's new album is just as good as Dark Side Of Moon!

It's too bad classic rock stations only play the rock and roll "classics" and ignore the new, untested, albums that are still being released.

There's still good music out there, but it's sure not mainstream anymore.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 8 2007, 02:15 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Apr 7 2007, 09:11 PM) *

Sounds like we all agree on that - so how do we find the good stuff? One good way is to read a forum like GMC with the likes of InstrumentalCase, RIP Dime and Uncreator posting interesting links all the time (much appreciated guys, keep it up!) - any body have any other methods of getting to the good stuff?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Apr 8 2007, 02:16 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 8 2007, 02:17 AM
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Apr 8 2007, 01:11 AM) *
Excellent point about the record companies. The radio stations are almost equally involved in this, too.

Of coarse radios play the top 40 hits, but what about classic rock stations? Part of the reason all of us old time rockers never hear anything new is because the "Classic" rock stations are afraid to play it.

Bob Seger, John Mellencamp, Journey, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, David Gilmore, Robert Plant, Boston, and Tom Petty have released brand new albums in the last few years. Some weren't groundbreaking, but most were great.

Tom Petty's last album (Highway Companion) is one of the best he's ever made. David Gilmore's new album is just as good as Dark Side Of Moon!

It's too bad classic rock stations only play the rock and roll "classics" and ignore the new, untested, albums that are still being released.

Sure there are still many old bands and artists still making albums, but all the new bands are mostly crap tongue.gif I mean, I dont think our old heros will keep making music for 10-20 years more, maybe they're in a retirement home by then tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Apr 8 2007, 02:18 AM

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 8 2007, 02:19 AM
You know some Classic Rock stations play Motley Crue, Guns n Roses,etc.. To me it just doesn't make sense... then I remember the year we're in and try to make sense out of it... but no luck.

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Apr 9 2007, 03:58 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 7 2007, 06:15 PM) *
...so how do we find the good stuff?

I use Yahoo's music subscription thing. Start by downloading about 3,000 or so classic rock songs, and you will have built up enough music for the program to make recommendations.

So far, it's been great.

Say you download something from Eric Clapton. Using the recommendation thing, it will lead you to Cream, The Yardbirds, Derik and the Dominos, BB King, Buddy Guy, Bo Didly, Hendrix, SRV, ect...

You just keep following the list and eventually it'll lead you to great music you haven't heard before.

I discovered Garry Moore and Johnny Winter by doing stuff like that. And that's all from downloading something from Clapton.

Sure there are still many old bands and artists still making albums, but all the new bands are mostly crap. I mean, I dont think our old heros will keep making music for 10-20 years more, maybe they're in a retirement home by then

Haha, you seen the latest pictures of the Rolling Stones? They're older than my parents. Some groups know when to retire, some groups don't. cool.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 9 2007, 08:39 PM
The Dark Canuck
This is an interesting topic. I mean a lot of bands quote their inspirations as Page or Clapton, Iommi or Rhoades so without the older stuff you'd never have the newer stuff. So even if you don't like the old stuff you at least have to appriciate it.
I don't think I could really choose which I like more. Most of my favorite bands come from the 70's and 80's but I do love a lot of the 90's stuff and 2000's. I probably listen to the older stuff more but it all depends on my mood. I agree that the whole "lets sound like Pearl Jam and make some cash" era was crap but that can be blamed equally on the record companies flooding the maket with those bands and people buying into them. I'm listening to a lot of stuff out of the UK right now like Muse, The Kaiser Chiefs, and Snow Patrol. These bands are great and pretty original. But then again the Brits were always on the cutting edge musically. ( sorry to Snow Patrol they're Scottish/Irish and probably wouldn't want to be called British)

And I saw the Stones last year in Halifax...they may be old but they still put on a great show. Alice Cooper and Sloan opened along with Kanye West. Not sure why Kanye was there but he did put on a good show. Sloan is a local band from Halifax (my hometown) check them out if you never heard of them. They're pretty good. I recommend "Money City Maniacs" and "If it feels good do it" to download. They're on Youtube as well.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Apr 9 2007, 08:46 PM

+Quote Post
Drew
Apr 9 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks you guys.
You all presented really good theories and ideas on this topic, many of which I will add to my arsenal of arguments which i'll use the next time I discuss this with someone. And i forgot to mention this when i posted this topic. To all of you who are in bands and creating music of your own i hope i didnt offend you. i have the upmost respect for anyone who has the talent and imagination to create any sort of music which they can call their own.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 9 2007, 09:27 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Apr 9 2007, 03:39 PM) *
Sloan is a local band from Halifax (my hometown) check them out if you never heard of them. T

Hey Rokchik, didn't realize you were a fellow Brit (or at least grew up there) - I grew up in Warrington just across the pennines smile.gif

EDIT : Duh, just figured out that you probably meant Halifax in NS, not Halifax in the UK!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Apr 9 2007, 09:30 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 10 2007, 12:01 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 9 2007, 05:27 PM) *
Hey Rokchik, didn't realize you were a fellow Brit (or at least grew up there) - I grew up in Warrington just across the pennines smile.gif

EDIT : Duh, just figured out that you probably meant Halifax in NS, not Halifax in the UK!

Yep that's Halifax, NS. I should have specified...sorry. However I have loads of friends from the UK. I live in Goose Bay which used to be a NATO base (still is but long story) and The RAF use to fly here. There are a lot of retired RAF here, lots of my friends are married to ex-RAF and I have a few who have moved to the UK. Supposed to be going over later this year if everything goes as planned. But I love british music. Big Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and The Who fan which I've mentioned a few times I know. I just love the sound over there. Oasis is another of my favorite bands. And like I said earlier some of the bands coming out of there now are just awesome. The net has opened up that market to the world which is great.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 10 2007, 12:54 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Apr 9 2007, 07:01 PM) *
Yep that's Halifax, NS. I should have specified...sorry. However I have loads of friends from the UK. I live in Goose Bay which used to be a NATO base (still is but long story) and The RAF use to fly here. There are a lot of retired RAF here, lots of my friends are married to ex-RAF and I have a few who have moved to the UK. Supposed to be going over later this year if everything goes as planned. But I love british music. Big Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and The Who fan which I've mentioned a few times I know. I just love the sound over there. Oasis is another of my favorite bands. And like I said earlier some of the bands coming out of there now are just awesome. The net has opened up that market to the world which is great.

Yeah, its funny - British music seems to come in waves, the mid, late 60s for the beatles et al, late 70s, early 80's for all the metal bands, mid 90s for Oasis et all, and we seem to be in the middle of a wave again now.

Halifax NS is definately a long way from where I grew up, but I have a Friend in Ontario who is originally from Dartmouth NS, and cousins in Montreal ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Intermission
Apr 15 2007, 04:08 AM
QUOTE (Drew @ Apr 7 2007, 01:52 PM) *
My buddy and I were discussing this the other day....
How come a lot of modern music/bands don’t seem to be nearly as good as the older music/bands? I realize that this is largely a matter of opinion, but doesn’t it seem no one has come close to being as good or as unique as Hendrix, zepplin, skynard, acdc, pink floyd etc. It seems like all modern music sounds relatively the same while those bands each had their own sound. Since music is timeless and each generation will get their chance to hear these bands well after they are good and gone, will any modern music ever be as good the old? Why don’t we have a Hendrix of today?!!?!?

Old music is the best rock and roll u can get (plus metal cool.gif ) Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, ect, ect. All the modern music is kinda turning bad! sad.gif

--------------------
Intermission

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:32 AM