Optimising Sound
nikeman64
May 29 2011, 06:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey guys,
I'm new to the Wiki forum. I want to start in REC program. I know it's not necessary for the instructors but still I want to have a good sound. It's probably not possible to download the backingtracks and mix them with the video in my sequencer. But I hear some guys have a good sounding (stereo) final product. How do they do this ? To my opinion a good quality sounding test is better for a good judgement. Obviously, you can hear everything better, including the mistakes you make. Since we are all here to learn, I think it's pretty important. wink.gif

Nikeman 64

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 29 2011, 10:25 PM
Instructor
Hello there! smile.gif

If you want to get a backing for the REC program, you can PM Skennington to send you, use this link:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=4&MID=3374

As for better sound, what equipment do you use for recording now?

If you want better sound, you need audio interface, need to record guitar, mix it with backing, and then replace audio from cam video with audio from your DAW.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2011, 10:32 PM
GMC:er
Congrats on taking the first step towards getting better sound. Asking questions! smile.gif Getting to "Better" sounding recordings is long journey but one well worth the trip. It's an ENORMOUS field of study with no limit, no end, and mountains of information. But don't be daunted. It starts quite simply with your first recording. You are in a great place here surrounded by folks with years and years of experience recording and this will be of great help to you.

Ivan's questions are perfect! Let's start with your hardware, then move to your software, then go to your recording technique. Get ready for better sounding recordings!

Speaking of which, I just made a posting about "DO I NEED A SUBWOOFER FOR HOME RECORDING?" Check it out. Having a good playback system is a key part of getting good sound.

Here is the link.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=524830

QUOTE (nikeman64 @ May 29 2011, 12:01 PM) *
Hey guys,
I'm new to the Wiki forum. I want to start in REC program. I know it's not necessary for the instructors but still I want to have a good sound. It's probably not possible to download the backingtracks and mix them with the video in my sequencer. But I hear some guys have a good sounding (stereo) final product. How do they do this ? To my opinion a good quality sounding test is better for a good judgement. Obviously, you can hear everything better, including the mistakes you make. Since we are all here to learn, I think it's pretty important. wink.gif

Nikeman 64

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 29 2011, 10:33 PM

+Quote Post
JamesT
May 30 2011, 12:08 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'm not exactly sure if your question is more specific or more general, but with regards to getting good sounding REC takes a good technique is to use your sequencer for audio recording. Record the video and the audio at the same time and get your best take possible. Perform the audio mixing within your sequencer/DAW, and then synch up the audio and video later using a separte tool. I use Sony Vegas for this. It is sufficient for the job and fairly inexpensive. Other Video editing software may be available for even less. The key is that you use the Sequencer/Daw for the audio part and then synchronize the video in a separate step.

When I first started doing RECs, I would just start the video camera rolling and use its microphone to capture the audio. I wasn't satisfied with the sound I was getting either, plus one of my interests in addition to playing is the audio engineering part of getting good sound. So I started doing the above technique and haven't looked back.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
quadrium
May 30 2011, 12:40 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hey man,

If you want to get a good sound you need to have a recording equipment(External soundcards like POD) & a sequencer(also called DAW such as cubase,logic, pro tools etc.) After getting that the backing track you need (currently you need to ask for a backing track to the instructor who made that lesson via pm, if the instructor is inactive you need to pm Skennington as Ivan told) place it in your DAW and start recording. And also start capturing video from your webcam/camera. When your recording is finished mix it & export the track from your DAW. After that open a movie editor (Windows Movie Maker/Sony Vegas etc.) And place your video file that you just captured. And replace the audio with your recorded audio that you exported from your DAW. Thats it! smile.gif If you need any help just ask. Hope that helps.

Dogukan,

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
nikeman64
May 30 2011, 01:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks guys !!!!!!

I have a completely installed home studio (man I am so spoiled !!!! ). Recording it in my DAW (SONAR) and placing it afterwords in sync with the video in my Sony Vegas was also my first intention. The only problem was : how to get the backing tracks. I am so sorry, but that should have been my question !! Normally you can right click and ... save as .... but not here. No problem, I will try the link Ivan mentioned. For now, I'll go back on studying because I don't want to flunk my first test ohmy.gif

Anyway, thanks for the information. Man this site is so great !!!

Waaauuuuuwwww!!!

Nikeman64

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
quadrium
May 30 2011, 02:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (nikeman64 @ May 30 2011, 12:28 PM) *
Thanks guys !!!!!!

I have a completely installed home studio (man I am so spoiled !!!! ). Recording it in my DAW (SONAR) and placing it afterwords in sync with the video in my Sony Vegas was also my first intention. The only problem was : how to get the backing tracks. I am so sorry, but that should have been my question !! Normally you can right click and ... save as .... but not here. No problem, I will try the link Ivan mentioned. For now, I'll go back on studying because I don't want to flunk my first test ohmy.gif

Anyway, thanks for the information. Man this site is so great !!!

Waaauuuuuwwww!!!

Nikeman64

Hey man,

You can't download backing tracks for now. Only way to get them is sending pm to the instructor who made that lesson sending pm to skennington if the instructor is inactive. But i think downloading option is coming soon to out site smile.gif

Dogukan,

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 31 2011, 09:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 29 2011, 10:32 PM) *
Speaking of which, I just made a posting about "DO I NEED A SUBWOOFER FOR HOME RECORDING?" Check it out. Having a good playback system is a key part of getting good sound.

I love that statement ! It's almost like saying 'Do I need a 3k watt full PA system in my bedroom with foldback monitors and lights ?' or 'Do I need a tank instead of a car?' Love it !! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2011, 09:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 31 2011, 10:21 AM) *
I love that statement ! It's almost like saying 'Do I need a 3k watt full PA system in my bedroom with foldback monitors and lights ?' or 'Do I need a tank instead of a car?' Love it !! tongue.gif

Heeyyy, I have 3K full PA system for monitoring, and let me tell you it can be useful - I don't use hair dryer anymore! dry.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 31 2011, 09:40 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 1 2011, 09:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 31 2011, 09:40 PM) *
Heeyyy, I have 3K full PA system for monitoring, and let me tell you it can be useful - I don't use hair dryer anymore! dry.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Excellent.. I need that ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:29 PM