> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Alternate Picking Workout #2, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

onetabmat
Aug 8 2019, 09:17 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Alternate Picking Workout #2 by Darius Wave

I've not intended to have this 100% perfect just until i was happy to post the rec.
I've tried to be myself in my playing and tried abit more vibrato in places.

I tend to practise this for about 10 mins as a warm up as it synch's my hands up great for alt picking.
Matt

<div class="youtube-embed"></div>

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by onetabmat: Aug 8 2019, 09:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2019, 04:07 AM
GMC:er
First off, let me say CONGRATULATIONS on learning this entire piece. This is NOT an easy bit of music to play. There are huge sections where there are NO GAPS at all to allow you to reset your hand position to the next note/section. You just have to stick the landing on the way. Miss it by one fraction of a beat, and it falls apart. This is an ambitious piece of music and I applaud your taking it on and I applaud you having the stones to play it for critique. Bravo.

I listened to the original and I hear the D man doing his thing. Each note is spot on, no gaps, always sticks the landing, etc. It's a high bar to try to match. He plays with a great deal of precision and doesn't hit accidental notes, even when string skipping, he never misses a note he is going for, and is always spot on time. All of which makes this a tough one to try.

As i listened to your version, I was impressed by how many notes you've memorized. This has a LOT to it. It's all over the neck, using various techniques. In general, you have a good feel for the piece. You have obviously spent time running the entire thing.

I did notice that there are sections where you lag the beat just a pinch. Around 26 seconds in, there is a long complex bit that you are a fraction of a beat behind for several bars. Also, you hit a few notes in passing that are almost misses but not quite. There are a LOT of notes in there and you are hitting most of them. You are kinda missing a few of them. This piece could use a bit of spit and polish. It's based on some very precise playing and to get it tight will take a lot of work. I like your tone on this one but it's your tone and not the tone from the original. I'm ok with you having your own tone smile.gif

This piece is heading in the right direction. You clearly have gotten a lot out of working with it. I think you could just move to the next piece and start over and be in good shape. However, if you want to spend a bit more time and get each individual pick strike down on this, it would also be time well spent. This one is mostly done, but not quite. It's a solid 7 from me smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 9 2019, 04:09 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 9 2019, 01:51 PM
GMC Founder
Very nice - this was the perfect lesson for you!

First some complaints: because the backing track is very low in the mix and guitar audio is not well synced with video (at least on my end) - it is hard to give you a solid judgement on the alternate picking performance.

However I know you have struggled with inconsistencies in your picking motion - and this has played tricks with your timing and hand sync. And for the first half of this performance - those issues seemed gone - so very well done on that!

After that things started getting shakier and my impression is still that you might not be 100% consistent with the alternate picking - if I am right then this would kinda defeat the purpose of the lesson.

I will still grade you and give you a 5 - but since this lesson is all about being tight with your picking rhythm it would be great if you could improve your recording chops! (as always feel free to ask for detailed help about this on the open boards.)

Keep up the good work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 10 2019, 08:52 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

Great choice! This lesson seems much easier than it is. All those arpeggios and lines are very tricky to be played with Alternate Picking. You obviously need to continue working on this lesson, or at least on this technique in order to make your picking more consistent. This are some thoughts and general comments about this take:

- You need to try to economize your right hand up and down movement. Making it smaller with make your technique much more effective and it will also help to fix the next element.

- Hands Sync. I don't think that your hands are going completely on sync. You need to slow down and make sure that both hands are going synchronized. Economizing movements is the key.

- This is just a personal opinion, but I would try to do less right hand fingers and start the up and down movement from your wrist. I prefer using fingers movements as an expression thing but not when trying to play fast/technical stuff. Focusing a bit more the movement on your wrist will definitely help.

- Another personal suggestion is to hold your pick more with the tip of your thumb. I think that your picking can become more precise.

When I say "personal" opinion or suggestion is because there is not a general rule, but that's what worked for me and most of the guitarists that I know. But there are always lots of exceptions too.

Ok mate, that's all by know! Keep on the hard work.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 13 2019, 09:11 PM
Instructor
Hey there! I don;t know if it's just me but there definitely a sync issue between audio and video. At first I thought you missed the picking direction and strated from the upstroke. Then I realized that video i delayed comparing to the audio.

Despite this I decided to just listen firat withouth watching. My general observations are:

1. You need to pik more firmly. You are behaving with thes trings like with an egg smile.gif Don't hesitate to hit the fimly...that where the real tone start - when you get that full "chunk" of othe string and pick. You can use more of a finger on the pick pressure, rather than wrist strum.

2. Take care of unsed strings. Some you already mute with your flattened left hand fingers but you tend to take away your right palm, which is also very useful in case of muting strings. You let the noise to cut through the mix

3. Good balance in the mix is a must. It helps to judge how your tone from the hand works with other instruments and it helps to judge the timing even better. In your case the guitar is a little too loud but the tone in general is proper.

4. You let the fina string (while going up through the scales) to ring over low string (while repeating the lick). You should mute it and clearly separate from another note.

5. You didn't notice that the final, 3rd part of the lesson has a reversed picking. It should start from an upstroke. There was a purpose of designing things this way and a different kind of skill to manage.

6. Some note loose the timing because of the hand sync issue. You hit the string that haven't been fretted correctly yet(delayed left hand)

7. Vibrato is not being judged in this lesson because of it's clear focus on alternate picking but....remember ...when you "ornament" lesson addiotionally with somethign getting out of tune, it definitely destroys first impression while listening. Your pitch control while vibrato is a topic for separated conversation. Maybe a good idea to go though some vibrato lesson as well.

These are things I think demand focus at the moment. Usually it's best to solve one problem at the time. Posting rec takes "in progress" is always a good idea. I can save some time before you'll waste it doing things bad way. I hope the feddback you get will help you get better and better each time . All best! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 29 2019, 01:08 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 5.5

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:57 PM