> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Chris S.'s Music Theory Journey, for Gab's Army
Chris S.
Jun 22 2016, 11:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab - currently I am watching a lot of mixing tutorials so my mixes stop sounding so muddy and unprofessional tongue.gif

Aside from that I purchased Ben's Sweep Picking lesson from his website - I want to tackle these sweeps before I continue learning the final sweeps in the Haste Lesson.

I feel like I should "learn to walk before I run" or so they say wink.gif

The first sweep is an A Major Sweep all 8th note triplets:

CODE
E|-------------9--12--9--------
B|-----------10--------10------
G|---------9-------------9-----
D|-------11---------------11---
A|-----12------------------12--
E|---9-------------------------

I will spend a week on it and then post a video to show my progress! smile.gif

PS. Happy belated birthday man! Sorry I was away from the site and couldn't wish you it on your actual birthday, I saw you posted about gigging on your birthday - spending your day doing what you love that's all that matters!

Keep rockin' man!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 23 2016, 03:01 PM
Instructor
Thanks you mate! Yeah, I had a great time on my birthday! smile.gif

Both learning about mixing, and practicing those sweeps are GREAT ideas. Feel free to share videos playing the sweep patterns.

Keep going!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 1 2016, 12:11 AM
Learning Roadie
So I finally picked up a set of studio monitors - no more headphone mixing!

Haha what a difference it is mixing with proper monitors wink.gif

They're small, 3 inch drivers - but my room is pretty small and I couldn't afford a $400 pair.

These were $100, on sale for $60 and since I'm friends with the manager he let me use a 10% off coupon as well so these were a steal!

So as of right now my current lineup:

1.) Remix Forever - it's already much less muddy and a better quality mix. Once that's done I am going to take a shot at mastering it, I've been watching tutorials; otherwise, I'll send it to get mastered.

2.) Remix Goodbye once it's finished, still waiting on bass. Once this is mixed and mastered I'll try to get it played on Locals Only on our local radio station.

3.) Still working on new ideas - I wanted to stray away from the more pop sounding songs so I came up with this:

https://m.soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/the-devil-waits-for-me-intro-riff

It will feature the same singer from Goodbye once I have a structure and lyrics.

Whatcha think man?

PS. What have you been up lately, mate? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 3 2016, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Hi mate good plan! Congrats on your new monitors! That has been my last big investment in my studio and I will never regret it. The old ones were't really good, and they were working wrong. It is awesome how much impact has in what we do.

That intro riff sounds very promising. Keep the music coming!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 4 2016, 06:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey man! I hope you enjoy the fireworks today! biggrin.gif

Here is my amateur shot at mastering Forever:

https://m.soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/forever-mastered

I think it's overall better from the original but I have a long way to go before I'll produce anything that sounds professional. I want to begin saving so I can purchase Ozone to use as a better platform for mixing/mastering than Reapers stock plugins.

Next on the list is Goodbye smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2016, 03:33 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, I don't have a consistent reference since I'm not at my studio and my headphones are not professional. Here it sounds good, but I cannot say much more than that. It's balanced.

Ozone would be a GREAT investment for mastering.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 5 2016, 04:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks man!

Did you enjoy your 4th of July, my friend? smile.gif

I hope you got see some fireworks and maybe even light off a few of your own! Haha

How's New York treating you?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 6 2016, 01:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 5 2016, 01:16 PM) *
Thanks man!

Did you enjoy your 4th of July, my friend? smile.gif

I hope you got see some fireworks and maybe even light off a few of your own! Haha

How's New York treating you?

Hi Chris, I'm having a really great time here. There is a lot to do in this city, which is full of music, and very tasty food from everywhere. The July 4th fireworks and show have been awesome!

It's also very cool for me to go to music store and be able to see and try everything, even the most expensive stuff like Suhr or custom shop guitars that are rarely seen in Buenos Aires.

Where do you live?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 6 2016, 01:10 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm glad to hear you having a great time!

I live in Pennsylvania, right below New York - lot's of mountains and trees smile.gif

This is my rough master of Goodbye:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/goodbye-master-test

I tweaked the piano a bit to make it less repetitive and overall I am happy with the result. There is only so much you can do with free/stock plugins so whenever I have the funds for Ozone I know my mixes and masters will be a bit more polished.

Still not a mastering engineer but practice makes perfect I guess - and I need a lot of it!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jul 6 2016, 10:19 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 7 2016, 02:24 AM
Instructor
Cool! The song sounds great. I'll check your mastering as soon as I get back home the next week. The main secret for good mastering and mixing is having a good pair of monitors.

Living surrounded by trees and mountains sounds VERY good. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 29 2016, 05:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Alright Gab - NO MORE MESSING AROUND! tongue.gif

I've been playing for 8 or 9 years and I am no where near as good as I should be and I have no one to blame but myself.

I'm realizing it has a lot to do with a lack of confidence. I don't think I will ever be as good as I want to be - and I have been using that in a negative way this whole time.

Well, if I'm never going to be as good as I want to be then why even bother practicing everyday? This benefits no one.

What I should be saying is: Even if I will never be as good as I want to be - that doesn't mean I can't continue to get better.

If I am not practicing - I am not getting better - and therefor I am not getting ANYWHERE.

I realize now it's just like going to the gym. I am a small guy, very skinny. I may not ever be as big and muscular as I would like - but after going to the gym 3 days a week for almost a year now - I can see results. I may not be huge and muscular, but I can see some small improvements and I feel much better, and I can notice how much stronger I have gotten.

I must now look at guitar like this - I might not be as amazing as you, or Darius, or John 5 - but that doesn't mean I can't keep getting better.

So going forward I want to create a very strict plan - and stick to it. This involves creating a routine, as well as setting goals.

First off my goals:

1.) Improve my speed picking
2.) Improve my legato
3.) Improve my sweep picking
4.) Learn more riffs/songs to improve my rhythm

And for my plan:

1 hour each day, 5 days a week, Monday-Friday

Four 15 minute sections focusing on each of my specific goals

-15 minutes practicing a speed picking passage
-15 minutes practicing a legato passage
-15 minutes practicing a sweep picking passage
-15 minutes practicing a riff from a song I like

Sweep picking will be covered in lessons from a video I downloaded from Ben Higgins - the first sweep is the A Major sweep I posted earlier. I will practice this in sextuplets over a metronome.

Speed picking - I only want to focus on picking runs. Instead of focusing on learning the entire lesson I only want to focus on the speed picking passages.

Legato - same as speed picking, focus only on the fast legato passages.

Riffs - I will start with the main riff from Tourniquet by Evanescence - I learned it a little while ago, but I want to relearn it and polish it and then record a video for critique.

I think focusing on all of this, and posting a video once a week, over the next 365 days there is bound to be some noticeable improvements.

No more being average - I want to be a great guitarist like you, but I now know that it's going to take work and commitment - as much as I just want to wake up and be an awesome guitarist one day it's just not going to happen tongue.gif

So to complete the plan - do you have a particular picking passage and legato passage from a lesson that you would like me to focus on? I'm not sure where to start with these.

Once we have the plan in order - it will be showtime! smile.gif

Thanks, man

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 30 2016, 04:17 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris,

I think that the plan sounds GREAT! The only thing that I'd like to suggest is that you start visualizing that you ARE a great guitarist. That's the first step to become one. I know that you surely have seen this in the past, but watch it EVERY DAY if it's necessary.

Don't think that you won't be a great player, think that you already are, and visualize yourself being able to play those licks and things that you dream.

Now talking about the program, it's totally interesting and I'd like to do a weekly following of it at this thread.

This lesson includes fantastic picking runs (as well as some sweep picking, and legato ones): https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...t-style-lesson/

and if you don't find a legato run there, you can choose one from the second half: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Vai-olation-Lesson/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 31 2016, 01:59 AM
Learning Roadie
I have actually never seen that video - thank you for sharing and your words of encouragement smile.gif

I have picked a picking passage from the Gilbert style lesson that I will focus on first and as for legato I am going to start with a simple 4 note per string chromatic passage - I have noticed I have difficulty with pull offs at slower tempos so I will be focusing on this.

And as a side note:

Attached Image

Went to a concert yesterday with my girlfriend! Saint Asonia, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin and DISTURBED! It was a great concert, so loud and a lot of energy!

How is your band doing, friend?

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 1 2016, 02:51 PM
Instructor
Wou mate! That's a great combination of bands!! We have an interesting festival soon here that includes those type of bands. It's something really unique to have so many bands of this style together in a fest here.

Attached Image

About my band, we had our important mid year show at Buenos Aires and it was great! Now we are working on the pre production of new songs that will be part of the next album but we also have many gigs around the country and also some other close countries. So we have lots of things coming. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Aug 9 2016, 03:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Glad to hear you are keeping busy and that the band is doing great! smile.gif

First up - my Tourniquet Intro Riff Cover:

I have the audio/video recorded for the lessons I will put that together and upload it in the next day or two for Week One's progress smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2016, 08:19 PM
Instructor
Wou! That sounds killer mate! Great playing and guitar tone. Congrats! Can't wait to check the other videos!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Aug 11 2016, 12:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Gab!

Thanks man! The next cover is going to be a Breaking Benjamin song! smile.gif

Here is week 1's progress:

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Aug 11 2016, 12:09 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 11 2016, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Good job here! The exercises still need to be polished but I can see how this method will have a good impact in your playing.

I was thinking that we could add 1 exercise to each of these techniques in order to make the raining more intensive. How much time are you dedicating to each of these passages?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Aug 11 2016, 08:04 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 11 2016, 01:03 PM) *
Hi mate! Good job here! The exercises still need to be polished but I can see how this method will have a good impact in your playing.

I was thinking that we could add 1 exercise to each of these techniques in order to make the raining more intensive. How much time are you dedicating to each of these passages?

Hey Gab, I am spending 15 minutes per exercise. Should I drop that to 10 minutes and do this:

15 minutes learning a cover
10 minutes on picking exercise #1
10 minutes on picking exercise #2
10 minutes on sweeping exercise #1
10 minutes on sweeping exercise #2
10 minutes on legato #1
10 minutes in legato #2

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Aug 11 2016, 08:06 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2016, 02:30 AM
Instructor
Yes, that sounds good. I was thinking on adding simpler exercises on each technique.

Here is a suggestion of where you could find this type of exercises. LINK HERE.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:26 AM