Hello From Maine, Usa
timrobwall
Jan 13 2010, 05:38 PM
GMC:er
Hello from Tim.

I'm an intermediate player, making what seems lots of times to be slow grinding progress toward getting better. I play in a local band. Strat into a Fender Blues Deluxe with Rat and TubeScreamer as main pedals. My issue:

My solo work on stuff we play at gigs consists of me mostly repeating (or attempting to repeat) what was done by the lead guitarist on the original record. I suppose that there are worse ways to play and improve, but it's not especially creative and adds pressure during gigs (I feel I have to replicate the same solos more or less the same way each time we play). It all reflects my lack of confidence as an improviser. I don't really have a roadmap for taking all these solos I've memorized, breaking lose and using them to create my own statement -- or how I can use the site to practice that.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I love the site.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 13 2010, 06:58 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome to GMC!

See you round the forum! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Jan 14 2010, 12:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
Welcome man ...

For your improvising issues I can recommend you to read the theory lesson that were written by Andrew Cockburn.

And I also recommend you a lesson I wrote about my way of seeing theory on the fretboard. This lesson wil probably change your life tongue.gif but seriously it has changed mine... https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=31321

See you around !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2010, 01:18 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC man!
Maine is very close to Boston smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 14 2010, 01:27 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 14 2010, 03:04 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC! smile.gif

It seems to me you don't quite understand what you are playing. My advice is to learn some theory and scales, and see how you can use that knowledge to expand your playing. If you need any more advice, post a topic with questions, we'll try to answer you how to solve your problem.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 14 2010, 01:08 PM
Jazz Instructor
Welcome TmRobWall! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
Jan 14 2010, 01:51 PM
Flamenco Instructor
Welcome to GMC!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
timrobwall
Jan 14 2010, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 14 2010, 02:04 AM) *
Welcome to GMC! smile.gif

It seems to me you don't quite understand what you are playing. My advice is to learn some theory and scales, and see how you can use that knowledge to expand your playing. If you need any more advice, post a topic with questions, we'll try to answer you how to solve your problem.

That's helpful. At first I thought -- no, I know enough theory and scales, but then realized that I'm not apply them to break down the solos to really understand what is going on behind them -- if you follow what I mean. Just doing that has helped. thanks. by the way, your major minor box series is my focus on the site now -- good stuff.

QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Jan 13 2010, 11:24 PM) *
Welcome man ...

For your improvising issues I can recommend you to read the theory lesson that were written by Andrew Cockburn.

And I also recommend you a lesson I wrote about my way of seeing theory on the fretboard. This lesson wil probably change your life tongue.gif but seriously it has changed mine... https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=31321

See you around !!!

Thanks Crazy. Good. Consistent with what Ivan said. Appreciate it much.

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 15 2010, 11:23 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC smile.gif

IMO it is not bad to play the original solos, they are part of the songs as well. And as long as you have nothing better to play instead of original solo, you better stick to it. Over time you may naturally to come to a point where you will realize that some solo can sound better and then you go for it.

And as Ivan mentioned, learning theory may speed up the process smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jan 15 2010, 11:28 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC smile.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jan 24 2010, 12:54 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 24 2010, 12:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi and welcome !!!! smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 24 2010, 02:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
sup
beware the demension you have entered that we call the forum
and of course Welcome

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jan 27 2010, 12:06 AM
Welcome man!! Enjoy the site. I'm sure you'll learn lots of things!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:58 PM