2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Cheap Guitar, For my 7 year old
Outlaw2112
Oct 21 2008, 10:32 PM
GMC:er
Im gonna buy my son a cheaper guitar for christmas, and wanted some suggestions... I was thinking an acoustic to start him out on and if he sticks with it move him to an electric..

this is the one i was thinking about getting him

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=519942

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 21 2008, 11:04 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If he's interested in acustics get him an acoustic, if he's more into electric guitars well.. you get my point.
That's at least how I see it. If I had been given an acoustic to start with I don't think I'd been so keen on continue playing since I was looking for mad distrtion wink.gif
Just my opinion.

I'm don't know so much about acoustic guitars other than I had a low budget party of guitars to sell but I simply had to return the whole lot since they were so low quality. If I tuned them so open chords sounded right a barré chord was out of tune. If I tuned them to a barré A or even G then open chords were out. So much crap my concience forbid me to sell them out of the simple reason I might sell it to someone looking forward to learn and the guitar I sold took all the fun out of guitar.

$70 is cheap even in the US, right? I get a feeling, based on my own experience, that guitar will not do the job.

I think it's a great idea though and it sounds like fun with a kid who's into guitar biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Oct 21 2008, 11:05 PM

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 21 2008, 11:10 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 21 2008, 11:04 PM) *
If he's interested in acustics get him an acoustic, if he's more into electric guitars well.. you get my point.
That's at least how I see it. If I had been given an acoustic to start with I don't think I'd been so keen on continue playing since I was looking for mad distrtion wink.gif
Just my opinion.

I'm don't know so much about acoustic guitars other than I had a low budget party of guitars to sell but I simply had to return the whole lot since they were so low quality. If I tuned them so open chords sounded right a barré chord was out of tune. If I tuned them to a barré A or even G then open chords were out. So much crap my concience forbid me to sell them out of the simple reason I might sell it to someone looking forward to learn and the guitar I sold took all the fun out of guitar.

$70 is cheap even in the US, right? I get a feeling, based on my own experience, that guitar will not do the job.

I think it's a great idea though and it sounds like fun with a kid who's into guitar biggrin.gif

I was just thinking acoustic because at his moms she wouldnt let him use an amp... also it would be practical to carry between both our homes... he is only 7, but he is wanting to get a guitar...
but he also has drums that he doesnt play, a skate board that i took him to lessons for that he doesnt want to ride and a new bike from last christmas that he still hasnt ridden...
He sees me play the guitar and seems interested, so id like to teach him...
I learned the starwars theme and showed it to him and he wanted to learn it, he is a big starwars fan...

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 22 2008, 01:31 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Get him a guitar man! Ask him what he want's, if he want's to be like dad, which I'm sure he does, get the electric. He can practice at mom's with a small practice amp and headphones. Then when he comes over to your house, you guys can have at it. smile.gif

I would consider picking him up something used off of craigslist so you don't spend a fortune if he loses interest.

Hope my kids want to play when they get a little older.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Oct 22 2008, 01:40 AM
Ibanez Makes an "RG Mikro" for around $150, and its a great guitar for kids, as well as a nice travel guitar!
CLICK ME!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Oct 22 2008, 02:08 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (skennington @ Oct 21 2008, 08:31 PM) *
Get him a guitar man! Ask him what he want's, if he want's to be like dad, which I'm sure he does, get the electric. He can practice at mom's with a small practice amp and headphones. Then when he comes over to your house, you guys can have at it. smile.gif

I would consider picking him up something used off of craigslist so you don't spend a fortune if he loses interest.

Hope my kids want to play when they get a little older.. smile.gif

I totally agree with this.

My son is almost 7yrs old and he likes messing with the acoustic I bought him when he was 4yrs.

But what he really wants is to rock. Electric guitars are easier to play and more relatable to the types of music they hear today (also he is wanting to do what he hears you do). When he hears you play, what he does on his guitar doesn't sound right, so then he wants yours because he want to be like Dad. They will play more and learn to develop their ear and figure out things if they play what sound good to them. 7 is a very good age and children are very creative

The headphone jack on the amp is a great idea for jamming at Moms.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 22 2008, 03:06 AM
All right, done... Im gonna get him an electric guitar...

thanks for all the advice..

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Oct 22 2008, 03:20 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Rock on!

Cool!

Might I suggest a smaller scale guitar, which will be easier for him to hold and also less frustrating for him to play.

Fender and Gibson both have some pretty nice combo packages for around $200 US (amp and guitar) for young kids.

Check them out.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 22 2008, 03:25 AM
I have a little line 6, 15 watt amp he can have so i only need a guitar for him...

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 22 2008, 03:33 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Awsome man, I thought you were to metal to hand him an acoustic.. tongue.gif I agree with skillet on the smaller scale. Also look into the Dean Playmate EVO Junior I think it's 22.2 as well. smile.gif

Nothing else and you want to go with a full scale, call me, i've got a guitar I think would work well for him. smile.gif

+Quote Post
besip
Oct 22 2008, 05:28 AM
i'm was have couple drinks today laugh.gif but i'm have to say..if you play electric all ready so you son will be want use electric guitar also ..buy him electric right to way..actualy i'm start play guitar 1 year ago..and i'm remember 1 thing how every people ofer me first acustic guitar...i'm so glad to don't listem them and start to play right to way on electric...becouse i'm belive thats more easy.........for sure your son is too young to decide what we want for sure but belive me if he see you play electric he will be want have the same guitar soon or later.....

you can also buy guitar what u can use for your self and then also teach him wink.gif and you booth will be have fun cool.gif

but it's is your son and you are the best guy who decide how thats be i'm belive what ever you be right .. and the Santa will be bring him the guitar on his dreams and you and him he will be hapy smile.gif

good luck cool.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Oct 22 2008, 05:35 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Oct 22 2008, 09:40 AM
Instructor
I suggest nylon strings for beginners, especially children.. steel strings may harm their fingers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Disturbed21
Oct 25 2008, 12:23 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Oct 21 2008, 08:40 PM) *
Ibanez Makes an "RG Mikro" for around $150, and its a great guitar for kids, as well as a nice travel guitar!
CLICK ME!

I second this one. I have one. It's all busted up now but it was pretty good. It's small enough for kids too.

This post has been edited by Disturbed21: Oct 25 2008, 12:23 AM

--------------------
Enter The Doom And Gloom If You Dare Below This Message

http://www.last.fm/user/Disturbed21

and add if you want...

+Quote Post
kjutte
Oct 25 2008, 11:08 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Oct 21 2008, 11:32 PM) *
Im gonna buy my son a cheaper guitar for christmas, and wanted some suggestions... I was thinking an acoustic to start him out on and if he sticks with it move him to an electric..

this is the one i was thinking about getting him

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=519942

Ibanez has a mini serie. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 26 2008, 01:24 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well you could go with the electric straightforward smile.gif May be more appealing to him to so he may stick with playing an instrument..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Oct 26 2008, 05:13 PM
That's wicked, like how I started. My mom had an acoustic like, 30 years old, she thaught me 1 song with just notes. I loved it! Then I got me own little acoustic, then electric kit and so on!!! It was a smaller size acoustic too. Please update us on the kid'simprovement!

QUOTE (Disturbed21 @ Oct 25 2008, 12:23 AM) *
I second this one. I have one. It's all busted up now but it was pretty good. It's small enough for kids too.

I saw that one today!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 26 2008, 05:50 PM
QUOTE (Jesse @ Oct 26 2008, 05:13 PM) *
That's wicked, like how I started. My mom had an acoustic like, 30 years old, she thaught me 1 song with just notes. I loved it! Then I got me own little acoustic, then electric kit and so on!!! It was a smaller size acoustic too. Please update us on the kid'simprovement!

I saw that one today!

Ill update his improvement... thanks for all the input everyone

--------------------

+Quote Post
btrigorivas
Oct 26 2008, 08:32 PM
My only advice is that is the biggest mistake to buy a cheap instrument, if the instrument is not good will be harder to play, and well if my opinion if you dont like what youre listening to you will get discouraged and maybe quit playing. Im not telling to get a Martin but for example i think yamahas are great for beginners, you can get a really nice guitar for 300 bucks.

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Nov 8 2008, 02:29 PM
I think im gonna get him this guitar for his first one...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...ate&so=desc

after doing some research this one seems like a nice one for beginners and the price

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 9 2008, 12:55 AM
Instructor
Looks good an cheap mate, I would like I had something like that when I was a kid smile.gif By all means buy smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:46 PM