2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Kicking The Habit
AK Rich
Apr 13 2017, 06:31 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Last weekend Stacie and I decided to try and quit smoking. I went into town on Saturday and picked us up a couple of vaporizer starter kits to get the ball rolling. We both smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day of full flavored cigarettes which has roughly 18mg of nicotine per cigarette as best as I can tell.

Since Saturday I have only smoked one cigarette a day on Sun, Mon, And Tues and that was just taking a couple puffs here and there and never smoked an entire cigarette at once on those days. Stacie's results are similar to mine and neither one of us smoked at all yesterday which was Wednesday.

We started with an e-juice that contains 6mg of nicotine. At times during the first couple of days we both felt slightly nauseous at times but that has seemed to pass now after 4 days. I am thinking that next week we will try to further reduce our nicotine intake with an e-juice that contains only a 3mg avg of nicotine.

So far I am happy with the way things are going and have been very surprised that we were able to basically stop smoking immediately. The very first day that we were using the vapes, we did not need or even want to smoke a cigarette after dinner which to me is no small feat. Any smokers out there will know what I mean.

Hopefully we can continue to wean ourselves off of the nicotine and maybe even get rid of the vapes too after we have curbed our appetite for the nicotine. At the very least we have cut out a lot of other harmful ingredients in cigarette smoke almost immediately so this is a kind of progress that is very encouraging. This is the 2nd morning where I did not smoke a cigarette with my morning coffee, a ritual that I have had for most of my life and it's just incredible to me how easy the transition has been so far. It is still very early in the game but we are optimistic that this could work out very well for us if our dependence on cigarettes can further be reduced as we move forward.

Anyone else had any success with quitting smoking in this way, or other ways? This is our weapon of choice at this time in our quest to beat smoking.

[attachment=46051:450x450_...ec537995.jpg]

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cmgmc
Apr 13 2017, 08:13 PM
GMC:er
While I can not comment on the way to quit smoking (I just have a couple of cigars a year), I wish you all the best.

Carmine

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 13 2017, 08:17 PM
Unfortunatly thats prohibited where I live (political thing, won't get into it...) but I had some success lately with ordinary tobacco.

You know, the ones that you have to wrap on cigarrette paper. They taste way better, much cheaper and waaay less chemical (depending on the brand). Soon I noticed natural tobacco isn't that addictive compared to branded cigarettes, didn't have any expectation my addiction would decrease but it happened.

I didn't quit (yet) but for the first time in probably 20 years of smoking I feel like its very possible and not so hard.

A small note though, nicothine although is the main addiction problem when decreased the habit of smoking can be remained or replaced. Like, you may not want to smoke but keep wanting to hold the vaporizer or some get addicted to the gum.

So after the nicothine consumption is reduced the next step is totally quitting or other addiction problems start to happen. There are ways to make quitting easier but always in the final one has to be prepared for some final discomfort for freedome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 13 2017, 08:59 PM
First off Congrats on trying to quit! Quitting takes practice they say smile.gif E Cigs will at least get you lower on tar and such. Also you can slowly take down the nicotine by using e cigs steadily less frequently, and by getting e cigs with lower nicotine content as you go. I got a kick out of the phrase "full flavored cigarettes" smile.gif There is a flavor? Also a full bodied one? As opposed to a thinner, less bold flavor? To regular smokes? I always thought the "flavor" was similar to tar or ash, but then again I never got in to smoking. Partially because of the smell/taste. Then again I was a HUGE Scotch fan, and some folks think even the best Scotch tastes/smells like pain thinner. smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 13 2017, 09:02 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 14 2017, 12:44 AM
Learning Tone Master
When I quit , it was cold turkey . Looking back I don:t know how , as it was winter and every time we would go to the truck for break , my 2 workmates would sit on either of me with the windows cracked , smockin up a storm . Somehow , I just didn't want it anymore . Sure this short and boring story doesn't help you , but , I wish you two the best .

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 14 2017, 04:49 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 13 2017, 11:17 AM) *
Unfortunatly thats prohibited where I live (political thing, won't get into it...) but I had some success lately with ordinary tobacco.

You know, the ones that you have to wrap on cigarrette paper. They taste way better, much cheaper and waaay less chemical (depending on the brand). Soon I noticed natural tobacco isn't that addictive compared to branded cigarettes, didn't have any expectation my addiction would decrease but it happened.

I didn't quit (yet) but for the first time in probably 20 years of smoking I feel like its very possible and not so hard.

A small note though, nicothine although is the main addiction problem when decreased the habit of smoking can be remained or replaced. Like, you may not want to smoke but keep wanting to hold the vaporizer or some get addicted to the gum.

So after the nicothine consumption is reduced the next step is totally quitting or other addiction problems start to happen. There are ways to make quitting easier but always in the final one has to be prepared for some final discomfort for freedome.

I have been rolling my own so to speak for quite some time now too because it is much cheaper than the branded packs of cigarettes. I would buy a 16oz bag of tobacco and a few boxes of tubes which are just the cigarette paper and filter without tobacco in it and use a simple machine to get the tobacco into the tubes. The tobacco is not all natural however and not really any different than branded cigarettes other than it is a fraction of the price of a branded cigarette.

A big part of quitting is finding something to do with your hands like you mentioned. a good thing about the vaporizer is that eventually you can get the juice for it that has no nicotine at all. It all starts that way as a flavored base and then the nicotine is added to whatever level you prefer. So the doing something with your hands part of it can be covered. I guess if I got rid of the vaporizer after cutting out the nicotine, I could get a bunch of lollipops like some folks that are quitting do. smile.gif
Good luck to you Mertay, it is a hard habit to break.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 13 2017, 11:59 AM) *
First off Congrats on trying to quit! Quitting takes practice they say smile.gif E Cigs will at least get you lower on tar and such. Also you can slowly take down the nicotine by using e cigs steadily less frequently, and by getting e cigs with lower nicotine content as you go. I got a kick out of the phrase "full flavored cigarettes" smile.gif There is a flavor? Also a full bodied one? As opposed to a thinner, less bold flavor? To regular smokes? I always thought the "flavor" was similar to tar or ash, but then again I never got in to smoking. Partially because of the smell/taste. Then again I was a HUGE Scotch fan, and some folks think even the best Scotch tastes/smells like pain thinner. smile.gif

Todd

Thanks Todd. Full flavor is basically just the opposite of a light cigarette. like your Camel filters or Marlboro reds as opposed to Camel lights and Marlboro lights.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 13 2017, 03:44 PM) *
When I quit , it was cold turkey . Looking back I don:t know how , as it was winter and every time we would go to the truck for break , my 2 workmates would sit on either of me with the windows cracked , smockin up a storm . Somehow , I just didn't want it anymore . Sure this short and boring story doesn't help you , but , I wish you two the best

Thanks Cursin. The first time I quit, I did it cold turkey as well. One day I gagged on a cigarette and said okay that's enough and quit right then and there. I had it beat and had been without a cigarette for over a year and then for whatever reason, I started back up again. rolleyes.gif That was probably 25 years ago. This time around there will be no going back if I am successful in quitting. The smoking must end for good.

Almost forgot about Carmine. Thanks Carmine! cool.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Apr 14 2017, 05:06 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 14 2017, 05:31 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
best of luck with it, Rich smile.gif I quit smoking a while ago, around 2001. All there was at that time was nicotine gum which tasted like ass but I got used to it cool.gif and used that for about 3 months before swapping it for normal gum. I think it was just enough to take the edge off the cravings.
I had a few failed attempts previous to that but I think I was successful because I just wanted to quit more than I wanted to smoke. I'd become pissed off being dependant on it.
The absolute toughest time for me was first thing in the morning, that was the cigarette that tasted as if it had been rolled by angels.... hot naked angels biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 14 2017, 06:05 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 14 2017, 09:31 AM) *
the cigarette that tasted as if it had been rolled by angels.... hot naked angels biggrin.gif

That would make one want to start.

Good luck to you and your girl Rich.
Fight the good fight!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 14 2017, 06:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 14 2017, 05:31 PM) *
best of luck with it, Rich smile.gif I quit smoking a while ago, around 2001. All there was at that time was nicotine gum which tasted like ass

I hope your not addicted to that now huh.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 14 2017, 06:40 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 14 2017, 08:31 AM) *
best of luck with it, Rich smile.gif I quit smoking a while ago, around 2001. All there was at that time was nicotine gum which tasted like ass but I got used to it cool.gif and used that for about 3 months before swapping it for normal gum. I think it was just enough to take the edge off the cravings.
I had a few failed attempts previous to that but I think I was successful because I just wanted to quit more than I wanted to smoke. I'd become pissed off being dependant on it.
The absolute toughest time for me was first thing in the morning, that was the cigarette that tasted as if it had been rolled by angels.... hot naked angels biggrin.gif

Thanks a bunch Bleez. cool.gif I tried that gum at one point just to see how it would taste and you are right, if you can stomach that crap then you definitely want to quit! biggrin.gif So yeah man good job! That's what it really comes down to I think is your willpower and whether or not you really really want to quit.
Hot naked ciggie rolling angels! laugh.gif That morning smoke with my coffee was always the best one of the day for me too. Also I think it would be tough if I was still drinking at the clubs but I don't drink anymore except for rare occasions really so it's really not an issue.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 14 2017, 09:05 AM) *
That would make one want to start.

Good luck to you and your girl Rich.
Fight the good fight!

Thanks Ken. Our biggest worry when we have discussed quitting in the past was that we would be at each others throats while we were quitting. So far we haven't had any of that with this method I am happy to say.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 14 2017, 07:03 PM
I have a lot of friends who smoke and/or vape (musicians and Italians). So much so that I have ashtrays and lighters at the house. Of my friends that now vape, 90% of them have not gone back to smoking cigarettes.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 14 2017, 07:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Apr 14 2017, 06:40 PM) *
Thanks Ken. Our biggest worry when we have discussed quitting in the past was that we would be at each others throats while we were quitting. So far we haven't had any of that with this method I am happy to say.

Don't know if it's an ideal way to test a new marriage , stay strong brother

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 14 2017, 07:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
also.... doobies dont count ph34r.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 15 2017, 12:30 AM
Experienced Rock Star
That shows a lot of character to attempt this. I'm pulling for you!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 15 2017, 03:28 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I quit around 12 years ago. Was off and on smoking for years before that. Have that one drag and it starts all over again (at least it did for me). My brother has been using the vape for years. Not sure how safe it is long term as I would guess the chemicals aren't so healthy. I eventually used nicotine patches to quit smoking for good. Best of luck kicking the habit. You can do it! I'm sure you will feel much healthier for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 15 2017, 06:36 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 14 2017, 10:18 AM) *
Don't know if it's an ideal way to test a new marriage , stay strong brother

So far so good man! I think we'll be alright.

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 14 2017, 10:32 AM) *
also.... doobies dont count ph34r.gif

Doobies don't count as smoking? That works for me. cool.gif

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 14 2017, 03:30 PM) *
That shows a lot of character to attempt this. I'm pulling for you!

Thanks for the support Rammikin!

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 15 2017, 06:28 AM) *
I quit around 12 years ago. Was off and on smoking for years before that. Have that one drag and it starts all over again (at least it did for me). My brother has been using the vape for years. Not sure how safe it is long term as I would guess the chemicals aren't so healthy. I eventually used nicotine patches to quit smoking for good. Best of luck kicking the habit. You can do it! I'm sure you will feel much healthier for it.

Thanks for the support Degroot.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of research out yet about all of this as it is a relatively new thing so the jury is still out on the matter so to speak but here are a few things that I have found.

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/a...1471-2458-14-18
https://info-electronic-cigarette.com/e-liquid-safety/
http://www.tobacco.ucsf.edu/9-chemicals-id...-reproductive-t
http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2016/07/27/e-cig...m_campaign=News

My goal is to use the vaporizer to quit smoking and wean myself of off nicotine, and once I have eliminated the nicotine input, I plan on discontinuing the use of the vapes as well.
Maybe the e-juice is harmful but it seems pretty obvious to me that cigarette smoke is far worse, and if I can use the lesser of the 2 evils to get rid of the greater evil, in my eyes that is a win and in the end, the vaping will be easier to quit than smoking.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Apr 15 2017, 06:37 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 16 2017, 08:52 AM
Learning Roadie
I quit in 2001 (giving up in 2000 seemed so cliché) Although the way I did it was in 2000 I went from 1.5 packs of Malboro Reds to only smoking in the pub. The habit of pint and cigarette was strong. Then in 2001 I dropped the smoking in the pub bit. No patches no gum etc just willpower and carrot sticks. Getting more serious about fitness also helped.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 16 2017, 03:59 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 15 2017, 11:52 PM) *
I quit in 2001 (giving up in 2000 seemed so cliché) Although the way I did it was in 2000 I went from 1.5 packs of Malboro Reds to only smoking in the pub. The habit of pint and cigarette was strong. Then in 2001 I dropped the smoking in the pub bit. No patches no gum etc just willpower and carrot sticks. Getting more serious about fitness also helped.

Man, you took the rough route for sure. Good job! A few years later and it wouldn't have been possible to smoke in the pubs, at least not here.
It wasn't too long after that time that we saw smoking bans in restaurants, bars and pubs and most, if not all public places indoors and even some outdoors.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 16 2017, 04:08 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Sounds like a solid plan! Absolutely, vape is a better alternative. I could not do the cold turkey thing and just sweat it out. I was thinking more in terms of my brother who doesn't seem to have a goal to give up e-cig and smokes it constantly. Hopefully it proves to be safe in the long run. But these days it seems everything is eventually labeled harmful. smile.gif Thanks for the links, some interesting info.

[/quote] My goal is to use the vaporizer to quit smoking and wean myself of off nicotine, and once I have eliminated the nicotine input, I plan on discontinuing the use of the vapes as well.
Maybe the e-juice is harmful but it seems pretty obvious to me that cigarette smoke is far worse, and if I can use the lesser of the 2 evils to get rid of the greater evil, in my eyes that is a win and in the end, the vaping will be easier to quit than smoking.
[/quote]

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 16 2017, 04:28 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 16 2017, 07:08 AM) *
Sounds like a solid plan! Absolutely, vape is a better alternative. I could not do the cold turkey thing and just sweat it out. I was thinking more in terms of my brother who doesn't seem to have a goal to give up e-cig and smokes it constantly. Hopefully it proves to be safe in the long run. But these days it seems everything is eventually labeled harmful. smile.gif Thanks for the links, some interesting info.

My goal is to use the vaporizer to quit smoking and wean myself of off nicotine, and once I have eliminated the nicotine input, I plan on discontinuing the use of the vapes as well.

Your story about your brother reminds me of something I noticed with the vape shop employees. Some of them cling on to those vapes almost like it is a vital organ or something of the kind. If I smoked cigarettes as much as some of those guys vape, I think I would be smoking 3 packs a day or more. It even seems like to some of them that it is a competition to see who can make the biggest clouds of vapor and some have a little routine of vapor tricks and such that they will perform. I am not sure how some of them can afford it since the cost of vaping is definitely greater than the cost of smoking when you vape the way some of these guys do. Some of the vaporizers are over $100 easily and the juice is $20 for a 12 mg bottle. Then there are batteries, chargers, modifications to the coils or replacement coils, custom tanks, customization's for the looks, hundreds of e-juice flavors etc etc. I can see it getting to be a pretty expensive hobby/habit if one was to get carried away.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Apr 16 2017, 04:56 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:30 AM