2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Suggestions For Buying New Gear
sammetal92
May 4 2013, 05:27 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys, I know I haven't been around for a while, that's because I'm focusing on my semester at the moment smile.gif anyway, I needed some suggestions.

I'm getting a college scholarship of $3000 out of which I've planned to spend $600 to $700 on new gear.

I wanted to buy an Ibanez Jem 7V, but it would cost me the whole $3000 and that's a lot to spend on a guitar for me at the moment sad.gif And I'm really not gonna buy a used guitar again after more bad and less good experiences in dealing with second hand guitars.

So I thought of buying Ibanez RG350DX, which would cost me around $500, but a friend of mine who runs a studio said he doesn't like that one for some reason. He suggested Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, but it'd cost me $1150 (with a hard case).

So I am REALLY confused. I wanted to get a guitar and an interface within a budget of $600 but it seems I won't be able to get a good deal if I want to buy a new, and not a used, guitar.

After reading this post, you know now that I'm a big fan of Ibanez biggrin.gif but I'm open to companies like Washburn, Epiphone, Jay Turser etc.

So please, suggest a good guitar, and if you can, a good interface for me that would come inside my budget of $600 to $700 (preferably max. $650) smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2013, 05:38 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I'm not very into Ibanez newer models. I had an RG520 and it was a killer guitar... maybe you can search for an used one?
I would also recommend PRS SE series. The 24th frets model is a great guitar and it's very versatile.

Regarding interfaces, are you talking about an audio soundcard for your computer? If that's what you want to get my suggestion is going for an m-auio Fast track. You can't go wrong with one of these.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Jouve
May 4 2013, 05:42 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ May 4 2013, 04:27 PM) *
Hey guys, I know I haven't been around for a while, that's because I'm focusing on my semester at the moment smile.gif anyway, I needed some suggestions.

I'm getting a college scholarship of $3000 out of which I've planned to spend $600 to $700 on new gear.

I wanted to buy an Ibanez Jem 7V, but it would cost me the whole $3000 and that's a lot to spend on a guitar for me at the moment sad.gif And I'm really not gonna buy a used guitar again after more bad and less good experiences in dealing with second hand guitars.

So I thought of buying Ibanez RG350DX, which would cost me around $500, but a friend of mine who runs a studio said he doesn't like that one for some reason. He suggested Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, but it'd cost me $1150 (with a hard case).

So I am REALLY confused. I wanted to get a guitar and an interface within a budget of $600 but it seems I won't be able to get a good deal if I want to buy a new, and not a used, guitar.

After reading this post, you know now that I'm a big fan of Ibanez biggrin.gif but I'm open to companies like Washburn, Epiphone, Jay Turser etc.

So please, suggest a good guitar, and if you can, a good interface for me that would come inside my budget of $600 to $700 (preferably max. $650) smile.gif

That's a big scholarship, bro wink.gif
What guitar do you have now?
I don't suggest you to buy rg350. No, it is not bad or anything but it is entry level ibanez (except for grg).
I would look at ltd 300-500 series or prs se.
The interface will cost you around 100-150$.

This post has been edited by Jouve: May 4 2013, 05:43 PM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
May 4 2013, 05:46 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 4 2013, 04:38 PM) *
Hi mate, I'm not very into Ibanez newer models. I had an RG520 and it was a killer guitar... maybe you can search for an used one?
I would also recommend PRS SE series. The 24th frets model is a great guitar and it's very versatile.

Regarding interfaces, are you talking about an audio soundcard for your computer? If that's what you want to get my suggestion is going for an m-auio Fast track. You can't go wrong with one of these.

There is, in fact, an RG520 available at my local music store, but its pretty worn sad.gif Would you recommend any specific models of PRS SE series or any guitar from that series will do?

Well, not like an internal soundcard. I guess an external interface with a firewire connector would be good for me, USB has too much lag. And yeah, I had m-audio fast track in mind, they have an m-audio fast track pro for $160, what do you think about that?

QUOTE (Jouve @ May 4 2013, 04:42 PM) *
That's a big scholarship, bro wink.gif
What guitar do you have now?
I don't suggest you to buy rg350. No, it is not bad or anything but it is entry level ibanez (except for grg).
I would look at ltd 300-500 series or prs se.
The interface will cost you around 100-150$.

Thanks biggrin.gif

I've a non branded but a really good guitar, its hand made by the person I bought it from smile.gif How much, on average would a ltd 300-500 series guitar cost me? A new one? Because I don't think they have those, I'd have to ship it from somewhere else smile.gif

What do you think about m-audio fast track pro for the interface?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jouve
May 4 2013, 05:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Yay, that card will do it's thing. Everybody suggests it on every forum wink.gif
For example this one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp...electric-guitar
Or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs...c-guitar/h70026
All the Prs se i've played were wery good manufactured.
Oh. And also Schecter.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/sch...c-guitar/h92718
And you should look on the net - there may be some better deals on a new ones.

This post has been edited by Jouve: May 4 2013, 05:54 PM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
May 4 2013, 05:56 PM
QUOTE (Jouve @ May 4 2013, 04:53 PM) *
Yay, that card will do it's thing. Everybody suggests it on every forum wink.gif
For example this one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp...electric-guitar
Or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs...c-guitar/h70026
All the Prs se i've played were wery good manufactured.
Oh. And also Schecter.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/sch...c-guitar/h92718
And you should look on the net - there may be some better deals on a new ones.

All of those look really amazing ohmy.gif I'm putting all three of them on my consideration list laugh.gif thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JTaylor
May 4 2013, 06:09 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Used is not always bad. A few months ago, I picked up a Jackson SL3MG, with a hard case, for $500. It is almost mint condition. It's a beauty and everything I ever wanted in a guitar. Zero problems with it also. Just get it checked out, if you buy used and you'll be fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
May 4 2013, 06:13 PM
QUOTE (JTaylor @ May 4 2013, 05:09 PM) *
Used is not always bad. A few months ago, I picked up a Jackson SL3MG, with a hard case, for $500. It is almost mint condition. It's a beauty and everything I ever wanted in a guitar. Zero problems with it also. Just get it checked out, if you buy used and you'll be fine.

I have gotten away with used guitars before, just not as much as I would've wanted sad.gif but yeah, it is an option.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jouve
May 4 2013, 07:34 PM
Learning Roadie
I forgot these. Godin are even crafted in Canada for a Chinese/Korean price.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/god...electric-guitar

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 4 2013, 08:38 PM
GABE is spot on. Many of the really spiff Ibanez guitars were built during the "Golden Age" of Shred/Guitars in the 80's/90's such as the one GABE mentioned. You can find these used on Ebay but make sure you can return it. Don't bid on "no returns" items if you can help it.

Check for

RG550
RG560
RG565
RG520

These are some of my personal fave IBBY guitars and play like a dream. This is back when they were Made In Japan (MIJ) before they started making them elsewhere and the quality dropped a bit in their mid range line.

These guitars have kept their value amazingly well and are still sought out by players to this day. I"m luck to be the proud owner of an original RG560. It's still my fave axe I've ever owned and I"ve owned quite a few guitars.

As for NEW guitars, maybe check out the RG3XXV reissue guitar. It's very close to the original Ibanez RG guitars Runs about $699 new.

Attached Image

Todd

You might look at the newere Ibanez Models in the IRON LABEL Ibanez series. But they are also not cheap.

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ May 4 2013, 12:27 PM) *

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 4 2013, 09:53 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Whatever you buy, don't forget to try it out and see how it feels. Even a cheap guitar might be better than those listed $3000. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
May 4 2013, 10:41 PM
Instructor
Ok, I'll say it again - nobody can choose for you. Certain brand and model sounds different in different hands, remember that smile.gif .
I have ( and had ) lots of guitars, a thousands of dollars worth and also no named 100$ guitars which sounds equally good as a these expensive, and all of them have in common one thing - they suit me ! Balance, weight, shape, neck.. Why to give a XXX dollars for a guitar if I'll feel the pain in my arms or in the back an hour later !? Just because someone said that is good ?! Because I have known brand which all have to admire?! No way! I'm not a slave to the guitar, I want her to be my slave wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JTaylor
May 4 2013, 10:51 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ May 4 2013, 04:41 PM) *
Ok, I'll say it again - nobody can choose for you. Certain brand and model sounds different in different hands, remember that smile.gif .
I have ( and had ) lots of guitars, a thousands of dollars worth and also no named 100$ guitars which sounds equally good as a these expensive, and all of them have in common one thing - they suit me ! Balance, weight, shape, neck.. Why to give a XXX dollars for a guitar if I'll feel the pain in my arms or in the back an hour later !? Just because someone said that is good ?! Because I have known brand which all have to admire?! No way! I'm not a slave to the guitar, I want her to be my slave wink.gif

laugh.gif biggrin.gif !! Love it!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
May 5 2013, 06:50 AM
Thank you guys! I've contacted a few stores around and seen some guitars now.

@Jouve: I'll have to think about that one, I've never tried a Godin before smile.gif

@Todd: The only one my local music store has that suits me is an RG470MHZ, and it looks beautiful, mahogany and all biggrin.gif he's selling it for $500. What do you think?

@Maharzan and Sinisa: Yes, I agree with that completely, but I've tried that Jem and it suited me perfectly, it had extremely low action and the weight and body size were just optimal for me, but the price wasn't tongue.gif that's why I was asking for alternatives. Just asking for opinions because I want something that isn't such a heavy investment but becomes 100% loyal to me biggrin.gif that's one of the reasons I don't like buying online, because I don't get to test the guitar before ordering it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 5 2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
This one looks yummy! smile.gif

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs...c-guitar/h70029

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
May 5 2013, 02:56 PM
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 5 2013, 07:53 AM) *

Indeed cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 6 2013, 09:03 AM
Instructor
Mate, I am a PRS man and I would definitely direct you towards the SE series - it's by far, the best product judged from a perspective based on a balanced proportion between pricing and quality.

I have been using the PRS SE Paul Allender since 2010 and I am totally satisfied smile.gif Sturdy, beautiful, great tone and playability.

I think that with a little bit of luck, you can get a used PRS SE (Paul Allender or Custom 24 would be a great choice, or if you want something darker sounding, try the Ackerfeldt model) and this baby maybe -> http://www.thomann.de/ro/emu_0204_usb.htm I am recommending this one, because I have used it and it rocks smile.gif We have recorded some of the stuff on the Days of Confusion EP using it.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
May 6 2013, 04:06 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 6 2013, 08:03 AM) *
Mate, I am a PRS man and I would definitely direct you towards the SE series - it's by far, the best product judged from a perspective based on a balanced proportion between pricing and quality.

I have been using the PRS SE Paul Allender since 2010 and I am totally satisfied smile.gif Sturdy, beautiful, great tone and playability.

I think that with a little bit of luck, you can get a used PRS SE (Paul Allender or Custom 24 would be a great choice, or if you want something darker sounding, try the Ackerfeldt model) and this baby maybe -> http://www.thomann.de/ro/emu_0204_usb.htm I am recommending this one, because I have used it and it rocks smile.gif We have recorded some of the stuff on the Days of Confusion EP using it.

Thanks man, I've got them both down on my list smile.gif and I like that interface, especially for that price biggrin.gif

Also, you've got an Ibanez Jem, right? I know my next question would be really hard to answer, but would you say that either your Jem or your PRS SE is better in any way than the other?

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 6 2013, 04:50 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
If you really love JEM, double your budget and buy a used one. They pop up here: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f31/ smile.gif

BTW, I have the cheap JEM Jr, made in Korea and it really has the thin neck and easy to play. But you get what you pay for. The hardwares aren't good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
May 6 2013, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 6 2013, 03:50 PM) *
If you really love JEM, double your budget and buy a used one. They pop up here: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f31/ smile.gif

BTW, I have the cheap JEM Jr, made in Korea and it really has the thin neck and easy to play. But you get what you pay for. The hardwares aren't good.

Thanks smile.gif but still I'm trying not to resolve to used this time :S

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:42 AM