Chat With Todd About Speeding Up, Migrated from collab thread.
Phil66
Jan 4 2020, 08:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I brought something up in the Xmas/New Year collab thread but I thought it should be brought out as it will clog the original up.

My question is/was ( https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=773732 )

Something I'd like to work on in the future is how to build speed when the backing doesn't change, or when the backing is shot to get more dramatic. I was watching THIS and Dime does it in some sections, I know I'm light years away from him but it got me wishing I understood how to build speed over a slow backing. I tried and my fingers got tangled.

Todd's answer and my counter reply start >>> HERE <<< and go onto page two.

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 4 2020, 09:45 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2020, 09:32 PM
GMC:er
The solo I posted is the reverse of what you are talking about? Now I"m a bit confused. I listened to the bark at the moon bit and jake is doing sorta the same thing I am, essentially starting slow and speeding up to a climax which is what I'm doing in the video clip I sent. Is that not what you are talking about? I may be completely misunderstanding you on this. I'm sure we can work through it though.
You are talking about building speed to a climax in a solo correct? Or have I just missed what you are talking about?
HOw about this one. I start fast, then slow down, then build speed back up toward the end. The middle of the solo is the slower bit and is book ended by faster bits then I go back to a slow bit at the end.

or this one, starts fast, slows down, speeds back up, slows back down, backing stays the same.

Essentially creating a dynamic vibe through speeding up and slowing down. Tension and release is at the core of any good solo. Speed builds tension and then slowing back down a bit can serve as the release much the same way resolving to a root note can release tension. If one plays at a constant speed for an entire solo, it can sound flat and uninteresting. Finding the right spot to make more notes fit takes a bit of practice and trial and error.

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 4 2020, 03:57 PM) *
Hello folks,

I brought something up in the Xmas/New Year collab thread but I thought it should be brought out as it will clog the original up.

My question is/was ( https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=773732 )

Something I'd like to work on in the future is how to build speed when the backing doesn't change, or when the backing is shot to get more dramatic. I was watching THIS and Dime does it in some sections, I know I'm light years away from him but it got me wishing I understood how to build speed over a slow backing. I tried and my fingers got tangled.

Todd's answer and my counter reply start >>> HERE <<< and go onto page two.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 4 2020, 09:48 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 4 2020, 09:54 PM
Sorry buddy,

I had only listened on my tablet in a fairly noisy room. The end of you original solo where you go very quickly is what I'd like to do in the middle but much slower due to skill level. That first solo has a lot of what I'm thinking about.

This is similar to what is in my head, https://youtu.be/F89-MOy7Xfg?t=151 if you listen, at the 2:38 point Jake E seems to accelerate to a climax. That link will take you right into the solo. Sorry if I'm confusing you, I just don't know how to put into words what I mean.

I don't think I'm going to be able to do it at the moment, especially for this collab but as I said, it's for the future.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2020, 10:14 PM
GMC:er
We are working it out smile.gif So the first solo above in this thread has some of what you mean? I'm glad we are getting on the same page. What I'm doing there is responding to the backing by either dragging things out with a bend/vibrato, or tightening things up by putting more notes in the same space compared to the previous bar. It's the contrast between the slow bendy parts and fast pull off parts that creates a sense of dynamism, e.g. Up/down, slow/fast, intense/relaxed.

One can build slowly by essentially playing slow, then medium tempo then fast. It doens't have to go from slow directly to fast. Playing inbetween the notes, as it were, on the way to brisk bit may be what you are talking about. At least I think thats it? Can you pick a backing and give it a shot for us to see? You don't have to speed up by much. Just start with a slow/bending/vibrato series of licks and increase your speed just a pinch, then go back to slower bendy bits. You can do all of this within the pentaonic scale. In my first vid above, I'm using just the blues scale and making certain bits sound brisk by using pull offs. I"m not really playing that fast, it just sounds fast I"m getting an extra note during the pull offs.

It's the transition between slower/fast that is sometimes tricky. The building part is the tricky part. Is that more what you are talking about?
This solo below is one of my most dynamic in terms of building speed and contrast. Give this a listen. is this sorta what you are talking about? around 35 seconds in I build to a very fast passage which I play in a loop. Then I transition out of it. It's that transition that can be tricky.

Here is another example. My guitar gently weeps is a great backing for working on this type of thing imho. Try it you tube. I start with a slow descending scale and move higher on the neck to increase tension, then speed up, then release tension by resolving to the rood and going back down the neck. It's this contrast that helps create a dynamic vibe.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 4 2020, 04:54 PM) *
Sorry buddy,

I had only listened on my tablet in a fairly noisy room. The end of you original solo where you go very quickly is what I'd like to do in the middle but much slower due to skill level. That first solo has a lot of what I'm thinking about.

This is similar to what is in my head, https://youtu.be/F89-MOy7Xfg?t=151 if you listen, at the 2:38 point Jake E seems to accelerate to a climax. That link will take you right into the solo. Sorry if I'm confusing you, I just don't know how to put into words what I mean.

I don't think I'm going to be able to do it at the moment, especially for this collab but as I said, it's for the future.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 5 2020, 10:38 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 4 2020, 09:14 PM) *
It's the transition between slower/fast that is sometimes tricky. The building part is the tricky part. Is that more what you are talking about?
This solo below is one of my most dynamic in terms of building speed and contrast. Give this a listen. is this sorta what you are talking about? around 35 seconds in I build to a very fast passage which I play in a loop. Then I transition out of it. It's that transition that can be tricky.

I think you've got it just there buddy. I tried again last night. If you listen to my first take that Gab said was like Marty Freidman for note selection, I'd like to have the last few seconds kinda like cycling up and down through the scale, building speed and ending on a bend with vibrato, a bit like that Jake E solo but far fewer notes. Another addition which I think could be done with a plug in and automation or assigning distortion to an expression pedal would be to gradually add overdrive as the speed increases but that's for another project wink.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 5 2020, 09:11 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:29 PM