My Pc Acting Weird..., Does someone know what it could be?
Davidian
Jan 4 2008, 01:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello GMC!

My pc is weird... Really.
Last week, I had some trouble with it, because it froze every now and then. (Couldn't do anything with it, except rebooting).
I decided I'd do a format on my pc, because it was full of junk...
So I did, everything was normal. I used DBAN, and then installed Windows XP. Everything was normal.
But this morning, I booted up my pc, and everything was normal... for about 5 min.
Then it froze again, and I rebooted it. When it was rebooted, I opened Firefox, but then it froze again... And again, and again, about 6 times in a row.
Now I managed to not let it freeze, but don't ask me how I did it...
It can't be the software, because I formatted my pc, so I think it has to be something with the hardware...
But what?

Does anyone know what could cause these problems?

Thanks
-Davidian

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 4 2008, 01:29 PM
GMC:er
Random freezing can be caused by the processor seizing up due to it being too hot, your processor fan or cooling system may have given up the ghost.

Heres what to do;- take your pc case off, point your motherboards fan directly at your cpu and run with the case off, if it lasts a considerable deal longer than normal then you may have found your problem.

(Of course if your not comfortable with fiddling with the internals in your pc this may be a bad idea, but otherwise I'd say that this is probably what is occuring)

My pc a few years ago did something similar and it turned out to be the fan on the pc failing, so the fan was replaced and it started working perfectly again!

No matter my advice I hope you manage to find the problem! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 4 2008, 01:31 PM
Instructor
Mostly, the freezing problems are caused by RAM, if you have two modules, try removing one of them and see if it countinues to freeze, try switching the modules

Next it can be a hard disk, a mainboard, sametimes even a CD ROM can cause a system halt, or even a faulty power supply unit

Check the RAM first and if it doesn't fix the problem try to borrow from someone a power supply unit just to test it, I had a smiliar problem with power supply few years ago smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 4 2008, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (Dejan @ Jan 4 2008, 04:31 AM) *
Mostly, the freezing problems are caused by RAM, if you have two modules, try removing one of them and see if it countinues to freeze, try switching the modules

Next it can be a hard disk, a mainboard, sametimes even a CD ROM can cause a system halt, or even a faulty power supply unit

Check the RAM first and if it doesn't fix the problem try to borrow from someone a power supply unit just to test it, I had a smiliar problem with power supply few years ago smile.gif

Yep, it can be other stuff overheating or failing but generally I find its the CPU or even a graphics card - peripherals like the ram usually give a warning other than just random system freezing.

In any case it'd be a good idea to get out all the dust that may be on the inside of your pc as it really does slow things down and clog your pc's arteries up - it wont do any harm to just get inside your pc case with a hoover if your cautious with it, small form factor pc's are particularily bad for this sort of thing as they are badly ventilated and small crapped spaces with many peripherals crammed close together - Hewlett Packard make a lot of these systems and for what its worth they really arent that brilliant an idea.

This post has been edited by Owen: Jan 4 2008, 01:39 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 4 2008, 04:24 PM
Instructor
It is very likely to be an overheat problem. Try to localize it: See if it's your main CPU or your graphics CPU. Then replace the modules. In the end try with different power supply.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Davidian
Jan 4 2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for your help everyone! biggrin.gif
I opened my pc, and now it's running without a case on it. I hope this will work for now.
I'll try to find the 'real' problem in a couple of days.

This post has been edited by Davidian: Jan 4 2008, 07:04 PM

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 4 2008, 09:28 PM
Instructor
If it runs without a casing than it is probably bad ventilation inside a case. The hot air doesn't come out. Try to clean with a vacuum cleaner your power supply cooler and other coolers in the case, and add another cooler inside a case to draw the hot air out. This is very common problem, and the extra cooler is very cheap so I hope you don't have any troubles with it. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 4 2008, 09:31 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Jan 4 2008, 12:28 PM) *
If it runs without a casing than it is probably bad ventilation inside a case. The hot air doesn't come out. Try to clean with a vacuum cleaner your power supply cooler and other coolers in the case, and add another cooler inside a case to draw the hot air out. This is very common problem, and the extra cooler is very cheap so I hope you don't have any troubles with it. smile.gif

Good advice. cool.gif

How's it going Davidian? smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Davidian
Jan 5 2008, 06:13 PM
I took the case of and now I let my pc run without it.
It runs now, but it still freezes sad.gif
But, it takes longer than before...

I'd like to try out if it's one of the other parts of the pc, but I don't want to do to much to it myself, 'casue I hardly now anything about the insides of a computer...

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 5 2008, 06:38 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I had a laptop that died on me time after time. I opened and cleaned it and it's run smooth ever since, must been over a year go now.
So try cleaning the inside from dust.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 7 2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah it'll be dust. Open the case. MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG FROM MAINS and then you can hoover dust and use a toothbrush to clean fans. When it loads up you should notice a lower temperature due to the better ventilation and this will stop the PC from freezing.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Jan 11 2008, 04:50 AM
Swap out the memory. If you don't have any extra on hand then hopefully you have more than 1 stick inside the computer.

Remove one stick (make sure the PC is off) the start it and see if it freezes. If it doesn than you found the bad stick of ram. If it does freeze then remove the other and reinsert the first one you pulled. Try again.

If it still freezes it could some other device but the next thing I would check is the processor. I have seen several computers with a "bad" processor. The computer still runs but will freeze. Think of it as a "hiccup" when the processor is trying to process data.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 11 2008, 07:58 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Jan 4 2008, 04:24 PM) *
It is very likely to be an overheat problem. Try to localize it: See if it's your main CPU or your graphics CPU. Then replace the modules. In the end try with different power supply.

+1 on overheated CPU or GPU.
Could be dust collecting in the fans, or the fans have stopped. Check the fans, they should spin without resistance and they shouldn't be clogged up.
Get a can of compressed air and blow all the fans clean or replace the fan if it's broken.

DON'T use your vacum cleaner if it has a metal tube. DON'T do this with your computer on.

This could help you some months but if something is overheating it's probably already damaged and the problem might reappear soon. You might end up having to replace either the CPU or the graphics card.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Gerald
Jan 11 2008, 04:19 PM
There are some programs you can use to monitor the heat levels of your processors. Do some googling for some if you don't already have them.

Take a can of air and blow everything out and see if that helps.

Also you can go in to the BIOS and run a diagnostic on everything.

You could also try reseating your RAM, Video Card, Processor etc.

Hope this helps!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 11 2008, 09:04 PM
Instructor
I had similar problem few years ago,all caused by...SPAMS!!!!! blink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Davidian
Jan 11 2008, 10:03 PM
Those evil spams! [blink]

Since I don't know a thing about how computer are built, I decided to take it to the shop... I really don't want to mess thing up even more.
I'll have it back on Tuesday, and I hope I'll then know what the problem was... smile.gif
But a really big thank you for all your help!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 11 2008, 10:28 PM
Instructor
also VGA doing this frozen ,you have to chek every thing starting with powersuply

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Jan 11 2008, 11:58 PM
we should sticky this somewhere or something. There are a lot of good suggestions that could save someone's computer smile.gif
Just like the picks in the washing machine thread

This post has been edited by Paul Coutts: Jan 11 2008, 11:58 PM

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:41 PM