2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Who Influenced Your Playing?
Sergeant_Ant
Aug 1 2007, 12:50 AM
GMC:er
Hey, I was wondering what guitarists influence yall most in styles and techniques and sound and who made you want to pick up a guitar to start with. I want to listen to a good variety of bands so i can get a good idea on the different styles out there smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"Whenever society gets too stifling and the rules get too complex, there's some sort of musical explosion" - Slash / Guns 'n Roses

"Play the music, not the instrument." - Author Unknown

Equpiment
Guitars: Ibanez RG350EX
Fender Stratocaster S-S-S
Effects: None
Amps: Fender SP-10

www.myspace.com/sergeantant
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 1 2007, 12:54 AM
Kirk Hammett ( METLLICA ( GREATEST BAND)) , Satch , and via

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 1 2007, 01:04 AM
QUOTE (Sergeant_Ant @ Jul 31 2007, 07:50 PM) *
Hey, I was wondering what guitarists influence yall most in styles and techniques and sound and who made you want to pick up a guitar to start with. I want to listen to a good variety of bands so i can get a good idea on the different styles out there smile.gif

Metallica is the first band i listened to that made me decide to play guitar.Back in the 90's when i was in school i was obsessed with them.I used to write Metallica all over my books,bookbag,desk ect. laugh.gif Then i started listening to bands like Pantera,Megadeth ect. I can listen to these bands after ten years over and over again.I cant say that about alot of music now-a-days.I guess it's just the stuff i love. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Aug 1 2007, 01:59 AM
Two words; Dave Mustaine, My favorite guitar player. cool.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
moles
Aug 1 2007, 02:52 AM
Kirk Hammet.

metallica basically got me into guitar playing.
as soon as i heard fade to black i was hooked tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 1 2007, 03:09 AM
I suppose that would be Stevie Ray Vaughan and Johnny Winter. My dad made me start wanna play, he showed me these two artists and many others.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 1 2007, 04:17 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Janick Gers, Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Steve Vai
Satch
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Empuu Vuroinen (Nightwish)
Jani Liimatainen (Sonata Arctica)
Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom)
Dallas Toller-Wade, Karl Sanders (Nile)
Pat O'Brien, Jack Owen (Cannibal Corpse)
Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)
Kai Hansen (Helloween, Gamma Ray)
Andre Olbrich, Marcus Siepen (Blind Guardian)
Corey Beaulieu, Matt Heafy (Trivium)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
James Hetfiled (Metallica)
Bob Zabek
Rusty Cooley (Outworld)
Luca Turilli (Rhapsody Of Fire)

Just to name a few.

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 1 2007, 04:43 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Jul 31 2007, 08:04 PM) *
Metallica is the first band i listened to that made me decide to play guitar.Back in the 90's when i was in school i was obsessed with them.I used to write Metallica all over my books,bookbag,desk ect. laugh.gif Then i started listening to bands like Pantera,Megadeth ect. I can listen to these bands after ten years over and over again.I cant say that about alot of music now-a-days.I guess it's just the stuff i love. smile.gif

QUOTE (moles @ Jul 31 2007, 09:52 PM) *
Kirk Hammet.

metallica basically got me into guitar playing.
as soon as i heard fade to black i was hooked tongue.gif

YES FOR METALLICA... got me started too!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 1 2007, 07:27 AM
Kirk Hammett and Slash! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
The Spartan
Aug 1 2007, 07:54 AM
The one who made me pick up the guitar in the first place? ummm I don't know blink.gif
one day i woke up n said...i'm GONNA learn how to play the guitar....but the one who influenced me to pick up the electric guitar was Kirk Hammett..when i heard the solo of Fade To Black i was blown away..and bought an electric guitar after that

--------------------

Practicing Pavel's Alternate Picking Lesson 4 at: (16th notes triplets)

89BPM 101BPM 110BPM 122BPM <-----Goal
86BPM 98BPM 107BPM 119BPM
83BPM 95BPM 104BPM 116BPM
80BPM 92BPM 101BPM 113BPM
77BPM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 1 2007, 07:59 AM
Instructor
I guess it was Metallica. But later i stopped lsitening to them and on my playlist came Vai, Satch, Blind Guardian. My sound influence was Vai and technique influences are Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo, Luca Turili and Enric Garcia. All of them are also my music style influences as i play similar stuff they do!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Jeffrey
Aug 1 2007, 09:36 AM
well At first it was eric clapton(still is sort of) then Kirk Hammet - metallica(this is why i play metal blues lol).
Steve Vai is very inpirational, along with stevie ray vaughn.

--------------------
My Guitar:
IPB Image

Schecter FR C-1 Hellraiser
CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Set-Neck w/ Ultra Access /25.5"
BODY: Mahogany w/ Quilted Maple Top
NECK/FINGERBOARD: 3-pc. Mahogany/Rosewood
FRETS: 24 X-Jumbo
INLAYS: Gothic Cross
PICKUPS: EMG active 81/85
ELECTRONICS: Vol/Vol/Tone/3-Way switch
BRIDGE: Original Floyd Rose Tremolo
BINDING: Abalone
TUNERS: Grover

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 1 2007, 10:36 AM
QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Aug 1 2007, 03:36 AM) *
well At first it was eric clapton(still is sort of) then Kirk Hammet - metallica(this is why i play metal blues lol).
Steve Vai is very inpirational, along with stevie ray vaughn.

i have always liked Heavy Pop, which dates back to Buddy Holly, and then The Beatles. I really consider Zeppelin to have been a Heavy Pop band. I like bands solid throughout (including a great singer, sorry Clapton, you never could sing). I mean a singer with range. And a really solid rhythm section. And the ability to write great songs, and change over time. The Beatles have 4 stages, 3 of them great. That is why they are remembered. And also because they made girls in the audience wet their knickers.

A good guitarist, on his own, does little for me. I guess Page was my favorite all time. He sounds scrappy now, but that band did a lot of creative composition in his time, i think more than anyone else, guitar wise.

this is my favorite all time american band, from 1979. Guitarist was pretty good. Played a 5 neck guitar, even back then. Well I think in the 80's. Back then he would strap 4 or 5 guitars on at the same time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eYRcjzUfoaM

edit: when I said american, i think that was not quite right. i believe that the bass player was from Sweden, and the drummer Argentina, if i remember right.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 1 2007, 11:49 AM

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 1 2007, 10:59 AM
Paul gilbert was the person who really got me playing.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 1 2007, 12:18 PM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Aug 1 2007, 04:59 AM) *
Paul gilbert was the person who really got me playing.

he plays well. but a good example of what real good technique is. however, after a few videos, i am personally finished with him. not a lot there that is new. same stuff as on this site, just done at a higher skill level. most of these guitar gods are sort of like clones out of the same mold, you guitarists may think there are big differences among them, but to most people they are like ants, all seem about the same.

+Quote Post
egomednog
Aug 1 2007, 12:22 PM
Slash.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 1 2007, 12:52 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 1 2007, 09:18 PM) *
he plays well. but a good example of what real good technique is. however, after a few videos, i am personally finished with him. not a lot there that is new. same stuff as on this site, just done at a higher skill level. most of these guitar gods are sort of like clones out of the same mold, you guitarists may think there are big differences among them, but to most people they are like ants, all seem about the same.

Really? you see him totally different to me. I think he is very technically skilled as you said and puts alot of feel into his music. Im also taking it that you haven't really gone into his music such as his solo albums and Mr big. And have you seen his work in yellow matter custard? its good i assure you.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Otto
Aug 1 2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.jerusalem.se/

A swedish Rock band from Gothenburg, they have been playing for over 30 years now ohmy.gif
I agree with the lyrics so thats why it gives me more than just music, imo some bands dont know what they sing about or just do boring love songs about broken hearts or whatever.... rolleyes.gif

Today I listen to all kind of hand made music, in rock/metal genre, but Jerusalem will always be something special to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6B72K43DUw

+Quote Post
fire
Aug 1 2007, 01:57 PM
My biggest influence was jimmy hendrix oO when I first saw a video of him, I just thougt ==> cool... and 2 hours later I've borrowed the accoustic guitar of my father and a month or two later i bought my own eguitar... ibanez it was (:

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 1 2007, 07:24 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I didnt mention it before but Dave Murray of Iron Maiden made me want to play guitar, Mostly due to his solos on "The Nomad" and "The Thin Line Between Love And Hate", So full of emotion and power, just blows me away every time i hear it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:56 PM