Introducing Myself.
thebucket86
Jan 5 2015, 02:20 PM
GMC:er
Hello everyone!
My story is long and boring so I'll be brief.

I was 16 when I worked an entire summer in order to buy myself a guitar(an epiphone les paul). I then played that guitar for about 10 months(using GMC for some amount of that time), before my friends approached me about playing bass for their metalcore band. I then then played bass for various groups and in various genres for about 5 years and sadly never touched my guitar again(sold it to one of my bandmates).

And after a couple years away from music(I'll be turning 24 in a few days) I decided to buy myself a new guitar and get back into music. I decided to buy myself an Agile 8-string because the price wasn't bad and I listen to a lot of bands who use extended range instruments(animals as leaders, after the burial, meshuggah). It has kind of provided a slight handicap because I barely remember how to use the top six strings so the bottom two see little use(er, musical top and bottom, just to be clear, not physical top and bottom), but once I get fully back into the swing of things the full range of the instrument will be utilized. I've been back at it for a couple months now and I would classify my skill level as something between beginner and intermediate.

I was raised on Metallica and Megadeth, and so it was only natural for me to get into much more extreme metal that my parents would classify as noise(like my father before me). My favorite bands and guitar inspirations are Between the Buried and Me and Mastodon, and before them it was Dream Theater. I also love classic melodic death metal bands like (old) In Flames, At the Gates, and Death.

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with guitar playing, but I love music and playing again has filled a void that has been there since I stopped playing bass a few years ago. I would like to write my own solo guitar stuff, something in the vein of Scale the Summit or Animals as Leaders, but I realize that objective is several years away. I will for now work on re-learning what I've forgotten in my like 7 years away from guitar, and trying to learn anything I can as I like all genres of music.

Anyways, this is long enough, so I'll stop blabbering now, and I'll try to use the forum as a resource(as I've been lurking the forum as well) and will post when I can but a full time job keeps me quite busy. I love the GMC style of lessons and know that I'll learn a lot now that I'm finally back to guitar playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 5 2015, 02:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
Welcome to GMC!
It's good that you decided to return back into music. When you tried once, is hard to stay faraway long time wink.gif
Congrats for your new guitar. I hardly wait to hear a demo.
Enjoy your time here and see you around smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 5 2015, 02:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
ah yes , can never quite shake that bug... once it has bit
welcome back

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 5 2015, 03:18 PM
GMC Founder
Welcome thebucket! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (thebucket86 @ Jan 5 2015, 02:20 PM) *
I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with guitar playing, but I love music and playing again has filled a void that has been there since I stopped playing bass a few years ago. I would like to write my own solo guitar stuff, something in the vein of Scale the Summit or Animals as Leaders, but I realize that objective is several years away. I will for now work on re-learning what I've forgotten in my like 7 years away from guitar, and trying to learn anything I can as I like all genres of music.

Thanks for sharing you vision! You can start writing music now if you haven't already. It will immediately sound like you , and if you add a couple of years into the equation - I am sure your compostions will sound as good or maybe better than your influences.

I am looking forward to getting to know you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 5 2015, 04:16 PM
Instructor
Wellcome back man! wink.gif Well Your short story seems to be long anyway...comparing to some other introductions biggrin.gif

Nice to know You're back on track wink.gif If You want get recreate the interest in playing developement You should at least ask yourself a basic question. Whjat do I need at the moment. Maybe trying to name Your needs with something You do at the moment, will help to choose the direction wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2015, 01:44 AM
Instructor
Hi friend! Welcome to GMC!!

I'm sure that you will find a lot of useful stuff here to improve your guitar playing, adjust your technique and get ideas in order to start composing your own material. Feel free to contact me every time you need some help or feedback about your playing or ideas on progress, I'll be happy to answer. wink.gif

Cheers!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2015, 08:12 AM
Welcome to GMC!!! smile.gif This is an amazing place for musicians to learn and grow. Dive in to the lessons and video chats!! I teach the weekend chats so please do stop by!

Todd

+Quote Post
thebucket86
Jan 7 2015, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I don't currently have any sort of good quality recording set-up yet, but I'll be posting videos in the REC as soon as I do. I'll also try to jump into the video chats when I can.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2015, 11:10 AM
Instructor
Welcome, mate smile.gif

Since you have stuff to recuperate, I think that getting a 6 string would be a much wiser choice, as an 8 string could prove cumbersome at this particular moment and it could drag you a bit back. Just my thoughts, but this is how I see it - if you have the slightest feeling that you could lose it again due to feeling overwhelmed, go back to the basics and start easy - starting easy is rewarding at first and you can re-build your skills in an organic manner, step by step.

What are you currently working on? Have you established a sort of a routine at this point?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 7 2015, 06:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thebucket86 @ Jan 6 2015, 10:10 PM) *
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I don't currently have any sort of good quality recording set-up yet, but I'll be posting videos in the REC as soon as I do. I'll also try to jump into the video chats when I can.

Cool! I'll be doing my first Vchat of the year today at 19 hs. I hope to see you there! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
thebucket86
Jan 8 2015, 02:04 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 7 2015, 10:10 AM) *
Welcome, mate smile.gif

Since you have stuff to recuperate, I think that getting a 6 string would be a much wiser choice, as an 8 string could prove cumbersome at this particular moment and it could drag you a bit back. Just my thoughts, but this is how I see it - if you have the slightest feeling that you could lose it again due to feeling overwhelmed, go back to the basics and start easy - starting easy is rewarding at first and you can re-build your skills in an organic manner, step by step.

What are you currently working on? Have you established a sort of a routine at this point?

I know exactly what you mean, and I've borrowed a 6-string from one of my friends to remedy that.
I don't have an exact routine worked out because the amount of time I have to practice each day ranges from two hours to 0 hours depending on when I get home from work and how I feel when I get home from work. Generally I pick up my guitar, do some warming up, then play whatever I feel like playing that day which is either a GMC lesson or a few songs in rocksmith(here's a video of rocksmith, not me playing, but just to show what it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEqKvsGhn0U It's effectively guitar hero but you actually play the real song with a real guitar)

In terms of GMC lessons I'm working on this:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-2/
Which I'm about to try to play on the 100 BPM backing track because I have it almost perfect on the 80 BPM backing track.

and this:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/In-Flames-Style-Lesson/
Which I've learned but still make a few mistakes on the slowest speed backing track.

Also Gabriel, sorry I can't make that time as that's 2 P.M. where I am, and I'm at work at that time. Maybe I'll have a Wednesday off sometime though.

This post has been edited by thebucket86: Jan 8 2015, 02:06 AM

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jan 8 2015, 09:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
Welcome to GMC smile.gif great, great place to be and learn

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2015, 04:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thebucket86 @ Jan 7 2015, 10:04 PM) *
I know exactly what you mean, and I've borrowed a 6-string from one of my friends to remedy that.
I don't have an exact routine worked out because the amount of time I have to practice each day ranges from two hours to 0 hours depending on when I get home from work and how I feel when I get home from work. Generally I pick up my guitar, do some warming up, then play whatever I feel like playing that day which is either a GMC lesson or a few songs in rocksmith(here's a video of rocksmith, not me playing, but just to show what it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEqKvsGhn0U It's effectively guitar hero but you actually play the real song with a real guitar)

In terms of GMC lessons I'm working on this:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-2/
Which I'm about to try to play on the 100 BPM backing track because I have it almost perfect on the 80 BPM backing track.

and this:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/In-Flames-Style-Lesson/
Which I've learned but still make a few mistakes on the slowest speed backing track.

Also Gabriel, sorry I can't make that time as that's 2 P.M. where I am, and I'm at work at that time. Maybe I'll have a Wednesday off sometime though.

Your practice schedule sounds well balanced. It includes warming up, playing along with songs, free jamming, a technique lesson and a musical one. I think that it's a good way to keep your practice motivating and effective at the same time. One important thing would be to alternate the technique covered (this week you are working on alternate picking) and choose technique lessons that cover techniques as bending, vibrato, legato, and maybe sweep picking.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:08 PM