Exotic Pentatonics?
Ben Higgins
May 7 2015, 09:46 AM
Instructor
Exotic Pentatonics?

Did I just use the phrase 'exotic pentatonics'? How is that possible? Everyone knows that the humble 5 note pentatonic is a dull scale that everyone has to learn at the beginning but eventually makes way for more 'interesting scales.....

Exactly. Schwarzenegger can never be wrong. Not back in the 80's.

Consider this. You've been presented with a chord progression of, I dunno, let's say... F#5 to a G. This repeats and so it gives you a root note that shifts up by a semitone. The F#5 is a blank canvas but the G has a major 3rd so normally most of us will opt for the Phrygian Dominant scale. Most other guitarists 99% of the time will do so as well.

Even people who don't want to sound like Yngwie will still use this scale whenever they encounter a chord progression like this. I personally think that, considering the sheer creativity and brilliance of players these days, that it's somewhat a cop out to automatically go for that scale and dole out Phrygian Dominant runs. Use it, by all means, but don't overuse it and don't use it every time. It's been done to death. We can try and be more creative.

One option you have is to use the G Major Pentatonic scale for the G chord. If you can't immediately recall the major pentatonic shapes then find the relative minor version which can be found as the E Minor Pentatonic and go from there. You'll notice that it's a different sound completely to the Phrygian Dominant scale. The P.D. Scale sounds eastern and has a hint of darkness about it. The major pentatonic doesn't have that darkness but it still works. If anything, I think that the major pentatonic is a bit more mind bending. The P.D. scale fits so easily that it's not that challenging for the listener.. it's almost expected because it's so natural. However, if you used a bit of F# P.D. scale for the first chord and then moved to the G Major Penta for the G chord it's a shift of tonality which is much more of a head twister.

Give it a go.. here's a backing track from something I'm working on. The chords are F#5 and G.

Attached File  Exotic_Pentatonics.mp3 ( 899.09K ) Number of downloads: 108

Don't worry about running up and down the scales, just grab the scale diagrams and try a few moves out. Btw, the P.D. scale is also known as the Phrygian Major mode, which is where you'll find it in the GMC Scale Generator.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/scalegenerator/

So, instead of feeling like you're automatically heading into Yngwie territory you can add a few pentatonic moves into it. Hell, try out all your favourite Zakk Wylde licks instead!

Give it a go and, if you're brave enough, post some examples of what you come up with!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:24 AM