String Buzzing
Ignite
Aug 24 2008, 05:20 AM
GMC:er
I just took apart my guitar, and modified it to look cooler. Anyways, when I was putting it back together, I changed the strings, and it makes a buzzing sound when I play. This is becasue the string is hitting the 24th (I think) fret (4th string). However, I do not know how to fix this, I tried getting an allen wrench and adjusting the (whatever they are called) things at the bridge, but I couldn't find any wrench that small. Anyone know how to fix this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Aug 24 2008, 06:13 AM
well, usually when u buy the guitar, the allen wrench comes with it. U have to fix ur innotation. Wut I do is get a dime, or wutever currency u have that resembles the thickness of the dime, and lay it on the twelth fret inbetween the strings and the metal fret wire. Then, u adjust the innotation so that the distance between the twelve and the string is the thickness of the dime. Then tune. wink.gif Any Questions?

another thing u can do if u dont have an allen wrench that small, but I seriously dont recommend is get a piece of clay and shuv it into the spring, let it harden, then use that haha bont dont do that, go buy an allen wrench

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 24 2008, 07:20 AM
QUOTE (Ignite @ Aug 23 2008, 11:20 PM) *
I just took apart my guitar, and modified it to look cooler. Anyways, when I was putting it back together, I changed the strings, and it makes a buzzing sound when I play. This is becasue the string is hitting the 24th (I think) fret (4th string). However, I do not know how to fix this, I tried getting an allen wrench and adjusting the (whatever they are called) things at the bridge, but I couldn't find any wrench that small. Anyone know how to fix this?

I am not sure whre you live. But in the US, you can get very small hex wrenches at ACE hardware, sold singly for about 35 cents.

If you are getting fret buzz on one spot though, it is really not a matter of setting action. If the neck is all proper, buzzing should start at all places at just about the same time, as you lower the action enough.

If you have buzzing on the first few frets, that can mean truss rod needs to put a tiny bit of bow in the neck, that it is too straight, or bent backwards. But it sounds like your problem is at the other end.

As this occurred when it did, evidently you did something wrong when you assembled it. If it is a fender, maybe you tilt adjustment got out of wack a bit. You may need to take this to a tech guy if you can't figure it out. But I bet you can if you just just think about it. Could you have damaged the frets, dropping the neck or something?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:10 AM