Introduction - Pdf64
pdf64
Jun 2 2013, 10:38 PM
GMC:er
Hi Everyone,
I’m Pete from the UK (Staffordshire), 49 and have been playing guitar for about 35 years, plateauing out at a reasonable intermediate level for the past 25.
I’ve played in pub bands doing rock / blues standards but gave up playing out about 10 years ago, as it got too tiring to combine with a full time job.
My biggest influence over all that time has been Rory Gallagher, I never tire of listening to him and fortunately was able to see him play live a couple of times - he was just amazing!
Also there’s early Clapton (especially Blind Faith), Led Zep, Free, EVH etc, Eric Johnson, Joe Bonomassa and Matt Schofield.
Over the past decade or so I've tried to develop my song writing abilities and have a band Redwing to develop original songs and have fun with covers, jams etc; we just get together in a rehearsal room once a week and I try to get stuff recorded (using a Roland VS1880) and, over the past 18 months, videoed. Please click on the link below for our Youtube channel.
Alongside guitar, I've tinkered with analog electronics, with a particular focus on tube amps. I’ve got an electronic engineering degree, worked as an electronic engineer and have built various amps and pedals for myself, and do the odd amp / instrument repair job for local musicians.
I’m hoping that GMC will help me to develop my guitar technique to a higher level and hopefully bring more variety to my style; I’d love to incorporate some Eric Johnson ideas into my vocabulary.
My main guitar is a Les Paul historic 1958 reissue, with a 1962 reissue Strat for a different flavor, plus a few others.
I’ll be pleased to help out where I can with technical issues and queries, so if anyone would like some guidance on something then start a topic in the ‘Gear’ forum.
It often surprises me what a low level of understanding of technical matters exists amongst musicians, even those with decades of experience; for instance, a friend explained to me how he had to pull the speaker cable out of his tube amp when it developed microphonics, in order to stop it howling like a banshee. Doing that exposes to amp to a real risk of significant damage but it demonstrates how it’s easy to make ill-considered decisions when something goes wrong with your rig on stage.
Just switching the amp off would have been far better.
OK, I’ll finish off by saying thanks for reading this far, and that I’ll look forward to learning and contributing to GMC!
Cheers - Pete

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Jun 3 2013, 05:48 AM
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Jun 2 2013, 09:38 PM) *
Hi Everyone,
I’m Pete from the UK (Staffordshire), 49 and have been playing guitar for about 35 years, plateauing out at a reasonable intermediate level for the past 25.
I’ve played in pub bands doing rock / blues standards but gave up playing out about 10 years ago, as it got too tiring to combine with a full time job.
My biggest influence over all that time has been Rory Gallagher, I never tire of listening to him and fortunately was able to see him play live a couple of times - he was just amazing!
Also there’s early Clapton (especially Blind Faith), Led Zep, Free, EVH etc, Eric Johnson, Joe Bonomassa and Matt Schofield.
Over the past decade or so I've tried to develop my song writing abilities and have a band Redwing to develop original songs and have fun with covers, jams etc; we just get together in a rehearsal room once a week and I try to get stuff recorded (using a Roland VS1880) and, over the past 18 months, videoed. Please click on the link below for our Youtube channel.
Alongside guitar, I've tinkered with analog electronics, with a particular focus on tube amps. I’ve got an electronic engineering degree, worked as an electronic engineer and have built various amps and pedals for myself, and do the odd amp / instrument repair job for local musicians.
I’m hoping that GMC will help me to develop my guitar technique to a higher level and hopefully bring more variety to my style; I’d love to incorporate some Eric Johnson ideas into my vocabulary.
My main guitar is a Les Paul historic 1958 reissue, with a 1962 reissue Strat for a different flavor, plus a few others.
I’ll be pleased to help out where I can with technical issues and queries, so if anyone would like some guidance on something then start a topic in the ‘Gear’ forum.
It often surprises me what a low level of understanding of technical matters exists amongst musicians, even those with decades of experience; for instance, a friend explained to me how he had to pull the speaker cable out of his tube amp when it developed microphonics, in order to stop it howling like a banshee. Doing that exposes to amp to a real risk of significant damage but it demonstrates how it’s easy to make ill-considered decisions when something goes wrong with your rig on stage.
OK, I’ll finish off by saying thanks for reading this far, and that I’ll look forward to learning and contributing to GMC!
Cheers - Pete

Hi Pete, I`m new here myself but just wanted to say hello.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 3 2013, 07:30 AM
Instructor
Hello Pete!

Welcome to GMC - I must say, it sounds like you are the kind of guy I could ask a question regarding gear. I am the sort of dude that enjoys plugging in, pushing a switch and playing. No tinkering for me smile.gif

Anyway, feel free to roam around and try the awesome things around here - collabs, video chat lessons almost every evening or test your guitar might in the REC zone!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 3 2013, 10:40 AM
Instructor
Wellcome at GMC Pete! You found the right place to share expirience, take discussions and improve playing by reaching thousands of lessons in many different styles. I hope You'll like home very soon smile.gif All best from Poland !

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 3 2013, 10:43 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Jun 2 2013, 10:38 PM) *
Hi Everyone,
Cheers - Pete

Welcome aboard mate, great to have you here!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 3 2013, 10:59 AM
Welcome pdf64!! Nice intro...I join you in the Rory Gallagher admiration..I never saw him though. My sons called Rory though!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 3 2013, 05:45 PM
Welcome Pete! smile.gif If honing your technique is your goal, you've come to the right place!!! Hundreds of Video Lessons, killer forum, awesome Live Video Chat Lessons, it's all here!

Todd

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 3 2013, 09:33 PM
Instructor
Great intro, welcome to GMC man, stay well smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 4 2013, 06:56 AM
Instructor
Hi Pete! Nice to meet you! That's a very cool introduction. I was wondering if you have any audio or videos of you playing to let us know baout your current level and maybe help you or suggest some lessons from the site.

Enjoy GMC! Cheers from Argentina.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
pdf64
Jun 4 2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement biggrin.gif
There's a lifetime of stuff in here to work on, so the hardest part seems to be working out how to get the best advantage from the site.
For the moment I think I'll focus on EJ licks and work out how to integrate them into my thing; but if anyone's got a better strategy then let me know.
Cosmin (or anyone), if a technical query crops up, I'll be pleased to try and help out, even if it's just 'how to connect balanced and unbalanced things together'!
Bare in mind that generic guidelines aren't applicable to every scenario, so to get the best answer then detail about the specific equipment and how it's arranged is probably necessary.

Gabriel, I put a link to my band's youtube channel in my signature line. My uploads are https://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand/vi...grid&view=0 probably the favourite song of mine is Rolling River https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbdZawRmitA
I try to record a lot and use it to keep the other guys interested and motivated, so they can hear how the last session went; the downside is that there a lots of versions of the same song, as we develop it.
Again, thanks to everyone for the goodwill - Pete.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 5 2013, 08:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Jun 4 2013, 10:03 PM) *
Cosmin (or anyone), if a technical query crops up, I'll be pleased to try and help out, even if it's just 'how to connect balanced and unbalanced things together'!
Bare in mind that generic guidelines aren't applicable to every scenario, so to get the best answer then detail about the specific equipment and how it's arranged is probably necessary.

Thank you very much sir, I will most definitely appreciate the input wink.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Jun 5 2013, 02:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Pete & welcome to GMC! smile.gif Great sounding band! There is something awesome about the pure sound from a Power Trio!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 5 2013, 05:17 PM
Instructor
Nice video mate! You sounds really cool. smile.gif

My army (mentoring program) works in that way, based on each student requiriments- Check it out and let me know if you want to start working!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43110

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:52 AM