Count With The Metronome
edguy
Sep 18 2008, 04:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys I have a quick question

When you are playing sixteen notes with the Metronome and count 1 2 3 4 at which BPM you have to stop counting?

I only can count till 120 bpm but then my playing is very bad. At 140 BPM I have no chance to count 1234. (remember i talking about sixteen notes so 1/1234/2/1234/3/1234/4 hope you know what i mean:))

Edguy

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Sep 18 2008, 04:19 PM
GMC:er
I'm not really sure about this but do you count them 1,2,3,4 in your head? if you are then i think you should stop it. but well, i'm quite new to guitar so don't trust me to much tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 18 2008, 04:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Sep 18 2008, 05:15 PM) *
Hi guys I have a quick question

When you are playing sixteen notes with the Metronome and count 1 2 3 4 at which BPM you have to stop counting?

I only can count till 120 bpm but then my playing is very bad. At 140 BPM I have no chance to count 1234. (remember i talking about sixteen notes so 1/1234/2/1234/3/1234/4 hope you know what i mean:))

Edguy

Subdividing should always happen no matter what tempo is.

If 150 bpm is to fast to count 16th notes use a trick and count EIGHT NOTES instead. Its exactly the same thing just twice as slow , but you will still end up playing in time and steady !

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Sep 18 2008, 04:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Chokehold @ Sep 18 2008, 05:19 PM) *
I'm not really sure about this but do you count them 1,2,3,4 in your head? if you are then i think you should stop it. but well, i'm quite new to guitar so don't trust me to much tongue.gif

There are some lessons here from Kris where he say if you can count it you can play it. I think it is in his Alternate Picking lesson and he said always count with the metronom that your playing is accurate. But at high BPM i can't count anymore.

And i count by saying 1 2 3 4 not in my head:)

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 18 2008, 04:39 PM
Instructor
If a have a metronome I don't need to count. Metronome is counting for me. Of course in some srazy speed you can't count 1,2,3,4 by saying it you have to listen. If it's too fast then you need to practice more until you get familiar with that speed.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
edguy
Sep 18 2008, 06:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Ok thanks for your advices i will try to listen more to the metronome at high speeds

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 18 2008, 06:55 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (edguy @ Sep 18 2008, 01:26 PM) *
Ok thanks for your advices i will try to listen more to the metronome at high speeds

You should of course start off by counting out loud, but that is really just a short term thing - once you understand the counting, you should be able to do it in your head, which then means you can play at faster bpm than you can say "1 2 3 4" smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 18 2008, 07:02 PM
Instructor
Try to get yourself to count in your head like the metronome does, like tic tic tic tic instead of 1 2 3 4. With numbers on high speeds it can really get a bit confusing and do you more damage then help IMO. Develop the feel for those sixteens instead of counting them. Don't worry if you can't do it straight away, just keep on developing and pretty soon when you hear sixteen notes you will know spot on that they are sixteens, without counting or anything.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Sep 18 2008, 08:35 PM
GMC:er
I generally count with my picking hand, and usually accent the first beat, especially when I'm playing something new.

It is easier to say:
One and Alabama - instead of onetwothreefourfivesix tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 18 2008, 09:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Sep 18 2008, 09:35 PM) *
I generally count with my picking hand, and usually accent the first beat, especially when I'm playing something new.

It is easier to say:
One and Alabama - instead of onetwothreefourfivesix tongue.gif

Very good way!

Accenting beat helps , or just downbeat especially if your intent is to do play 8th , 16th or 32nd note values. It will help you keep your place for sure.

Practice counting slow every rhythm that you are having trouble with. You should do this until counting becomes part of you and very natural (ie. not to feel tension in any way about counting or rhythm figures ) and then you can change to any tempo using your metronome - it won't make much if any difference at all!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:44 PM